Rand Paul.....sigh.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16179
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Apr 2018, 02:03

Jake wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:53
Painboy wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 21:56
In the context that all politicians are pieces of shit and he's a slightly smaller piece of shit I can agree.
Image
But I think we have clearly established that you're the huggablest piece of shit of them all! :mrgreen:
Last edited by lunchstealer on 25 Apr 2018, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3756
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Painboy » 25 Apr 2018, 02:03

Jennifer wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:59
Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:56
Sure he could be like his dad but what good did that accomplish?
For that matter, what good has Rand accomplished? Every time he gives in to Trump I hear people excuse it by saying "Yeah, well, this isn't worth expending political capital on" -- well, when the hell IS he going to expend political capital on anything?

I note, by the way, that next month is the eight-year anniversary of the start of this thread. Dude's been sigh-worthy for that long now.
You do know he is supposed to be representing his constituency right? Like most people they don't exactly see eye to eye with those of us in this forum.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12538
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Apr 2018, 02:09

Rand Paul has done damn little worth applauding, and none of it recently. What is "the good" that "the perfect" of possibly doing anything worthwhile is getting in the way of?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 7778
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Taktix® » 25 Apr 2018, 10:57

Also relevant:

Image
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7221
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Shem » 25 Apr 2018, 11:34

Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 02:03
Jennifer wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:59
Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:56
Sure he could be like his dad but what good did that accomplish?
For that matter, what good has Rand accomplished? Every time he gives in to Trump I hear people excuse it by saying "Yeah, well, this isn't worth expending political capital on" -- well, when the hell IS he going to expend political capital on anything?

I note, by the way, that next month is the eight-year anniversary of the start of this thread. Dude's been sigh-worthy for that long now.
You do know he is supposed to be representing his constituency right? Like most people they don't exactly see eye to eye with those of us in this forum.
So, is he being a craven opportunist because he's keeping his powder dry for important fights, or because his constituents wouldn't back his libertarian leanings?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3756
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Painboy » 25 Apr 2018, 11:36

Shem wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 11:34
Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 02:03
Jennifer wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:59
Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:56
Sure he could be like his dad but what good did that accomplish?
For that matter, what good has Rand accomplished? Every time he gives in to Trump I hear people excuse it by saying "Yeah, well, this isn't worth expending political capital on" -- well, when the hell IS he going to expend political capital on anything?

I note, by the way, that next month is the eight-year anniversary of the start of this thread. Dude's been sigh-worthy for that long now.
You do know he is supposed to be representing his constituency right? Like most people they don't exactly see eye to eye with those of us in this forum.
So, is he being a craven opportunist because he's keeping his powder dry for important fights, or because his constituents wouldn't back his libertarian leanings?
What do you think he is supposed to be doing?

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7221
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Shem » 25 Apr 2018, 12:31

Not trading on his family name to look libertarian when he's actually a bog-standard Republican would be a good start. Barring that, a recognition among libertarians that he is in fact a bog-standard Republican would also be acceptable.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26514
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by thoreau » 25 Apr 2018, 12:36

I will just go with the second option. R. Paul II is a politician and politicians are gonna politician. That doesn't mean libertarians need to masturbate to his image. And we should see "politicians gonna politician" as a damning remark, not a defense.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16179
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Apr 2018, 13:23

Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 11:36
Shem wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 11:34
Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 02:03
Jennifer wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:59
Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:56
Sure he could be like his dad but what good did that accomplish?
For that matter, what good has Rand accomplished? Every time he gives in to Trump I hear people excuse it by saying "Yeah, well, this isn't worth expending political capital on" -- well, when the hell IS he going to expend political capital on anything?

I note, by the way, that next month is the eight-year anniversary of the start of this thread. Dude's been sigh-worthy for that long now.
You do know he is supposed to be representing his constituency right? Like most people they don't exactly see eye to eye with those of us in this forum.
So, is he being a craven opportunist because he's keeping his powder dry for important fights, or because his constituents wouldn't back his libertarian leanings?
What do you think he is supposed to be doing?
Well, if we're supposed to let good be the ally or at least neutral party to perfect, he could be closer to good. If we're gonna disagree with dhex on calling him a smaller piece of shit, we should at least be able to identify some good that he's done since Obama left. If he's only good when a Donk is in office, is he that good? Lots of people can oppose the other guy.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24859
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Warren » 25 Apr 2018, 15:26

Painboy has it right.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16179
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Apr 2018, 17:22

Warren wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 15:26
Painboy has it right.
Conditionally, assuming that Paul is doing anything actually good these days.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2634
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Jake » 25 Apr 2018, 17:47

Heh... no worries, Painboy. I'm not saying it's not true. ;)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26514
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by thoreau » 25 Apr 2018, 17:54

Maybe there's nothing that Rand Paul can do, but then why, exactly, are we supposed to like him?

For all I know he's a totally great guy in person. If I lived next to him (and I wasn't part of the Great Lawncare War of 2017) maybe I'd love the guy. Well, I don't live next to him. I don't know him. He's just a politician who's done very little that I have much reason to be excited over, but some of my fellow travelers seem to love him and I don't get why. To me he's just another Senator, and not a particularly laudable one.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16179
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Apr 2018, 17:59

thoreau wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 17:54
Maybe there's nothing that Rand Paul can do, but then why, exactly, are we supposed to like him?

For all I know he's a totally great guy in person. If I lived next to him (and I wasn't part of the Great Lawncare War of 2017) maybe I'd love the guy. Well, I don't live next to him. I don't know him. He's just a politician who's done very little that I have much reason to be excited over, but some of my fellow travelers seem to love him and I don't get why. To me he's just another Senator, and not a particularly laudable one.
He did do some public pushback against the surveillance state and maybe drone stuff. When was his great filibuster? That's the last time I remember him being particularly useful. He did take a stand against the massive budget hike in January, IIRC.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24859
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Warren » 25 Apr 2018, 19:26

The question is: Who in the senate is a smaller piece of shit?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3756
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Painboy » 25 Apr 2018, 19:58

I just see Rand as mostly benign. He may not have actually done much but given that he's a politician that's rather high praise from me. He's tried to rally others to certain causes or taken unorthodox positions and no one really cared. I'm not sure how much of that is his fault.

We also don't know if he achieved something behind the scenes that we are unaware of. Horse trading is a common thing in any political body.

I guess the question I would pose is do you think our government would be in a better place than it is if there were more Rand Pauls in it? I would say yes even if only incrementally.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23210
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Mo » 25 Apr 2018, 22:48

Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:56
Taktix® wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 01:25
Painboy wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 21:56
dhex wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 20:22
rand paul is kind of a piece of shit and i think everyone needs to be ok with that.
In the context that all politicians are pieces of shit and he's a slightly smaller piece of shit I can agree.
No, I'm squarely on the dhex xpress on this one.

Rand has gone full-on Trump sycophant to the point where he doesn't even sound libertarianish anymore. Trump has often spouted rhetoric that sounds like the little hairy creature that would be in the middle between libertarian and tea party and I think Rand swallowed it up thoroughly...
This sounds like you're letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.* He's a politician. If he wants to get anything done he has to make compromises. Sure he could be like his dad but what good did that accomplish? Other than trolling some republicans in the primary not much. I'm not sure what some of you are expecting him to do.


*Okay "good" may be a little strong but you get the point.
I'm Jenniferish on this. Has Paul accomplished anything? I don't think he's ever taken a hard stand and been the deciding vote on anything. He'll talk a big game and then go full weather vane.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26514
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by thoreau » 25 Apr 2018, 22:50

I think the big talk is for the libertarian-ish donors, merchandise consumers, and speaking fee providers that the House of Paul has always done well with, while the weather vane is for the voters.

So he's the ultimate libertarian because he's perfectly responsive to the DEMAND KURVE!!!11!
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12538
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Apr 2018, 23:23

Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 19:58
I guess the question I would pose is do you think our government would be in a better place than it is if there were more Rand Pauls in it? I would say yes even if only incrementally.
I don't see what the difference would be.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3756
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Painboy » 26 Apr 2018, 12:14

Eric the .5b wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 23:23
Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 19:58
I guess the question I would pose is do you think our government would be in a better place than it is if there were more Rand Pauls in it? I would say yes even if only incrementally.
I don't see what the difference would be.
You don't think replacing Chuck Schumer or Mitch McConnell with a Rand Paul wouldn't make things a little better? C'mon.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12538
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Apr 2018, 12:57

Painboy wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 12:14
Eric the .5b wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 23:23
Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 19:58
I guess the question I would pose is do you think our government would be in a better place than it is if there were more Rand Pauls in it? I would say yes even if only incrementally.
I don't see what the difference would be.
You don't think replacing Chuck Schumer or Mitch McConnell with a Rand Paul wouldn't make things a little better? C'mon.
They have constituents, too. If Paul is useless because of his actual constituents, why would he be any better with theirs?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Apr 2018, 23:53

But the tiny pieces of shit are the ones that are hard to pass.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by nicole » 16 Jul 2018, 17:20

Watching him live rn on Wolf Blitzer. This is shameful. A low point. I’ve been shaking my head for what feels like ten minutes. Sad!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26514
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by thoreau » 16 Jul 2018, 17:25

nicole wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 17:20
Watching him live rn on Wolf Blitzer. This is shameful. A low point. I’ve been shaking my head for what feels like ten minutes. Sad!
What's he saying?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by nicole » 16 Jul 2018, 17:29

Just pathetic excuse-making for Trump this morning. Even though he says he agrees that the Russians did try to meddle! But they were just revealing “uncomfortable truths” about Hillary, so they’re really the heroes of this story, and we meddle in elections all the time so it’s not really a big deal, and he’s totally not a US government official who should care about protecting the country against that sort of thing.

Dubs just said, “I now hate Rand Paul more than either Putin or Trump.”
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests