Rand Paul.....sigh.

Jennifer

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by Jennifer »

Democrats want people to freak out about that judge who dismissed defendants' criminal charges in exchange for deposits to the judge's personal bank account, yet "collecting money from wrongdoers" is the very DEFINITION of "imposing legal fines."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Why do people criticize a doctor who writes prescriptions for large quantities of opiates for any patient who claims to be in pain? Do they not realize that getting paid to write prescriptions based on patients' reported symptoms is literally what doctors do?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren »

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

You'd think an eye doctor would be able to get a line on some better spectacles.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Heh, right? They look like he got them out of a truck-stop men's room.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Who knew that a political dynasty built on direct mail fundraising and crazy newsletters might produce a scion that is less than principled?
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

thoreau wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 17:50
Who knew that a political dynasty built on direct mail fundraising and crazy newsletters might produce a scion that is less than principled?
It’s rare to see the genetic fallacy used quite so literally.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Because clearly I was talking solely about nature and not at all about nurture.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 18:16
Because clearly I was talking solely about nature and not at all about nurture.
Wow.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem »

They just need to wait a little while. Eventually, a Democratic President will make him remember all his "principles."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren »

Shem wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 21:04
They just need to wait a little while. Eventually, a Democratic President will make him remember all his "principles."
No doubt. And the GOP will let him have his principles and still hold him tight to their bosom.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Shem wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 21:04
This.

I wish he'd stick to lawncare.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Speaking of Kentucky politicians, it looks like the Blues will probably capture the governorship in Kentucky, after Trump campaigned for the Red. That must be embarrassing for Red Square Rand and Moscow Mitch.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Rand Paul should stick to yardwork.

--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem »

...because it would inevitably escape, altering the composition of the atmosphere and turning the planet into a firestorm? Bro, DYE dystopia fiction?

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Do you mean it would escape the lab and do shit on Earth? Not a chance. It would never survive our temperatures.

Or do you mean that if let loose on Titan it would destroy that moon by producing O2 that burns all the methane, fills the atmosphere with CO2, and sets off a greenhouse effect?

That's what he's calling for, and I don't think it is a practical possibility for us to engineer such an organism in even a century. We know so little about chemistry under those conditions. (I have a buddy who has worked on it. The landscape of unknown variables is huge.) And doing the experiments requires working with pressurized liquid methane (since the atmosphere is twice our pressure). There are a lot of hazards, and a lot of expensive equipment would be needed.

I would be shocked if such things are done even a century from now.
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

TBF "let's make this unrealistic science fiction thing happen now" is the most libertarian thing he's said in a while.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 23:54
TBF "let's make this unrealistic science fiction thing happen now" is the most libertarian thing he's said in a while.
Points!
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem »

thoreau wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 23:45
Do you mean it would escape the lab and do shit on Earth? Not a chance. It would never survive our temperatures.
I'm sure there's no way an organism engineered to survive in one of the most inhospitable technically survivable places in the solar system would be capable of adapting to a garden world. And hey, they can always engineer a lysine deficiency into it, make sure they have control over everything.

Jesus Christ, Thoreau, do you WANT a T-Rex rampaging through San Diego? Because this is how you get a T-Rex rampaging through San Diego.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I get that you're mostly joking, but to be serious, AFAIK most/all extremophile bacteria find "normal" conditions inhospitable. Anything that could handle liquid methane would probably (1) rely on it as a solvent, (2) hate polar liquids (i.e. water), and (3) rely on processes that can be driven by thermal energy at low temperatures, so high temperature would know all the chemical equilibria out of whack.
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Shem wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 00:48
Jesus Christ, Thoreau, do you WANT a T-Rex rampaging through San Diego? Because this is how you get a T-Rex rampaging through San Diego.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Shem wrote:
... yes? I mean, DC might be better, but I'll take what I can get.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 09:07
Shem wrote:
... yes? I mean, DC might be better, but I'll take what I can get.
Right? I mean, pretty much any coastal city. And if you can get a Godzilla, better still.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Team Rampaging T-Rex.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul