Rand Paul.....sigh.

thoreau

Re: Rand Paul.....sigh.

Post by thoreau » 08 Aug 2018, 14:31

Rand Paul, before going to Russia, asked Trump to write him a letter of introduction to Putin.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rand-paul- ... 1533752234

In general I'm fine with Senators going to foreign capitals to develop relationships. It's a long-standing practice and probably a healthy one. But I'd be much less peeved at him if he didn't make a point of capitalizing specifically on the Trump-Putin relationship. He should be focusing on the institutional relationships between a branch of the US government and the Russian government, not the individual bromance between Trump and Putin.

Then again, Putin's popular with the GOP base and Rand Paul is a panderer...
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Aug 2018, 16:47

That's just skeevy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Aug 2018, 17:03

I just can't quite figure out what he thinks he'll get from this pandering. Does he see himself as a Presidential prospect in 2024 (or 2020 if shit goes down for the Trump administration)? Does he think pandering to Putin will help him in his re-election? IIRC he's not up for re-election by 2022, and I would not be placing long-term bets for or against Putin's reputation in the US. Not with stuff in a state of flux.

Or is this part of his family's penchant for raising money from the skeevier elements of the GOP base?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Aug 2018, 18:23

Why not all the above?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 20 Aug 2018, 17:49

So this will be how Trump and his newly-minted stooge Rand Paul will coopt all the progress libertarians have made on criminal justice reform: https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-rand- ... -manafort/

Also, did anyone catch Rand's little Moscow excursion a few weeks ago? The Ron Paul I used to think I knew would have disowned his traitorous ass...

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Aug 2018, 17:51

Standing up for a guy doing dodgy business may be the most libertarian thing Rand Paul has ever done.
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Aug 2018, 18:31

I'd be fine with it if I believed it was actual reform that would apply to everyone caught in the switches of our judicial system.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Aug 2018, 21:47

Taktix® wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 17:49
Also, did anyone catch Rand's little Moscow excursion a few weeks ago? The Ron Paul I used to think I knew would have disowned his traitorous ass...
One positive thing I hope we can glean from the Trump era is fatally poisoning the idea of loyalty as a virtue and treason as a vice.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Aug 2018, 22:08

Hugh Akston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 21:47
Taktix® wrote:
One positive thing I hope we can glean from the Trump era is fatally poisoning the idea of loyalty as a virtue and treason as a vice.
Dream on. "Dissent is a virtue" lasted right until November 2008.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 20 Aug 2018, 23:59

Hugh Akston wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 21:47
Taktix® wrote:
Hehehe.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Aug 2018, 14:00

Rand Paul doesn't even show up on my map anymore. He's entirely subsumed, lost to the swamp like Artax.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Sep 2018, 16:20

At least Alternet knew to refer to Rand Paul as a "fake" libertarian, in their article headlined "Fake Libertarian Rand Paul Says Trump Should Use 'Lie Detector Tests' to Find Anonymous Op-Ed Writer."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Sep 2018, 16:28

Jennifer wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 16:20
At least Alternet knew to refer to Rand Paul as a "fake" libertarian, in their article headlined "Fake Libertarian Rand Paul Says Trump Should Use 'Lie Detector Tests' to Find Anonymous Op-Ed Writer."
And in the copy:
Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) has often billed himself as independent from the rest of the Republican Party, portraying himself as adhering to libertarian values that oppose excessive state power and overreach into the lives of the American people. Over the course of the President Donald Trump's, that self-image has been revealed as a mirage.
Bless that writer.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Sep 2018, 16:29

What is up with Rand Paul trying to be Trump's bestest buddy? He's not up for re-election until 2022. Does somebody in the White House (or Kremlin) have blackmail on him? Were they all "Next time we send somebody more dangerous than neighbor with lawncare dispute?"
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Sep 2018, 16:32

thoreau wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 16:29
What is up with Rand Paul trying to be Trump's bestest buddy? He's not up for re-election until 2022. Does somebody in the White House (or Kremlin) have blackmail on him? Were they all "Next time we send somebody more dangerous than neighbor with lawncare dispute?"
He's a putz who wants attention, but can only do that by 1) going against Blues or 2) sucking up to Reds.

Trump is Big Daddy Red right now, so there you go.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Sep 2018, 16:35

Even when R. Paul the lesser was trying to promote his "libertarian," IIRC it was the brand of libertarianism which boiled down to "Not a penny of tax money must be spent on helping the poor."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Sep 2018, 16:37

And given his career, he definitely needs to prove something to Daddy. Point taken.
--Shem