Occupy This

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16815
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Occupy This

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Nov 2011, 09:44

Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
dbcooper wrote:What on earth is occupying student centres supposed to achieve, other than stopping the majority of students from getting their full tuitions' worth?
More generally, I don't understand how "student strikes" are supposed to work; what's the point of boycotting a business where you've already paid for the good or service?
I thought it was about getting laid
Warren speaks wisdom.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Occupy This

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Nov 2011, 21:01

I would like to say, or hear someone say, "I'm going to 'occupy' my foot up your ass."

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7466
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Occupy This

Post by Shem » 23 Nov 2011, 21:41

Fin Fang Foom wrote:I would like to say, or hear someone say, "I'm going to 'occupy' my foot up your ass."
You mean "I'm going to 'occupy' your ass with my foot?"
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Occupy This

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Nov 2011, 22:03

Shem wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:I would like to say, or hear someone say, "I'm going to 'occupy' my foot up your ass."
You mean "I'm going to 'occupy' your ass with my foot?"
No, that would be dumb.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15732
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Occupy This

Post by dhex » 24 Nov 2011, 00:03

fing's phrasing is better because it is delightfully off-kilter.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6859
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: Occupy This

Post by fyodor » 24 Nov 2011, 00:23

Shem's wording sounds static whilst fin's sounds kinetic, which I think would be more pleasing.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Occupy This

Post by Sandy » 24 Nov 2011, 00:29

fyodor wrote:Shem's wording sounds static whilst fin's sounds kinetic, which I think would be more pleasing.
See, now you've destroyed it.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7414
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Occupy This

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Nov 2011, 01:23



Hey! Lego my foot in your ass!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18110
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Occupy This

Post by dbcooper » 24 Nov 2011, 04:08

It's surprising that nobody has posed as Ferengi pilgrims at Occupy Wall Street. Probably for the best.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6859
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: Occupy This

Post by fyodor » 24 Nov 2011, 23:54

Sandy wrote:
fyodor wrote:Shem's wording sounds static whilst fin's sounds kinetic, which I think would be more pleasing.
See, now you've destroyed it.
That's my sense of timing for ya.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 23638
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Occupy This

Post by Jennifer » 25 Nov 2011, 01:25

Look at your flow chart of funny. Comedy starts with the "Ha," which identifies the situation as comedic. The "Ha" is followed by the "Guffaw." This creates anticipation. Next, there is the "Aw," to condition your audience for surprise at the final element, the "Ha-Ha." Now does it make sense?

Image
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13808
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Occupy This

Post by Kolohe » 26 Nov 2011, 10:49

OFFS: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

It was a goddamn dinner invitation, you fucking stupid morons, not a collective action problem.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2672
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Occupy This

Post by Jake » 28 Nov 2011, 12:46

Kolohe wrote:OFFS: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

It was a goddamn dinner invitation, you fucking stupid morons, not a collective action problem.
I suspect that OWS will eventually be is pretty much just a glorious "Greatest Hits" parody of all the problems with the ancient Athenian system of direct democracy.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25806
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Occupy This

Post by Warren » 28 Nov 2011, 12:52

Jake wrote:
Kolohe wrote:OFFS: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

It was a goddamn dinner invitation, you fucking stupid morons, not a collective action problem.
I suspect that OWS will eventually be is pretty much just a glorious "Greatest Hits" parody of all the problems with the ancient Athenian system of direct democracy.
I still think Athens was on to something in choosing their political leaders by lot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23557
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Occupy This

Post by JasonL » 28 Nov 2011, 12:52

Jake wrote:
Kolohe wrote:OFFS: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

It was a goddamn dinner invitation, you fucking stupid morons, not a collective action problem.
I suspect that OWS will eventually be is pretty much just a glorious "Greatest Hits" parody of all the problems with the ancient Athenian system of direct democracy.
How can the people in the middle of it fail to understand this? I can, if I expand my mind enough, imagine that people doing jazz hands may not feel self conscious about how it looks, but I simply can't fathom how anyone could think this is a good decision making process. Do results literally not matter at all? Do you never want to say "look, we accomplished X today?"

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27426
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Occupy This

Post by thoreau » 28 Nov 2011, 13:04

You know, I hates me some bailed-out banksters, and I salute everybody who braves cold nights and hot pepper spray to protest against them, but I completely fail to see how hating on bailed-out banksters necessitates such angsty deliberations over something as simple as a dinner invitation. Either go or don't go. If you believe that everybody there is an autonomous individual and none can speak for the group, then there's no need for a group decision on whether to go to dinner. Turkey dinner for some, staying at the camp for others.

Also, I really liked "We are the 99%" as a motto. It's supposed to mean that this is about economics, not culture. But their whole model is something that would piss off anybody who isn't into a very particular cultural and ethical mindset that 99% of us would find annoying as all hell.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6859
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: Occupy This

Post by fyodor » 28 Nov 2011, 13:06

JasonL wrote:
Jake wrote:
Kolohe wrote:OFFS: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

It was a goddamn dinner invitation, you fucking stupid morons, not a collective action problem.
I suspect that OWS will eventually be is pretty much just a glorious "Greatest Hits" parody of all the problems with the ancient Athenian system of direct democracy.
How can the people in the middle of it fail to understand this? I can, if I expand my mind enough, imagine that people doing jazz hands may not feel self conscious about how it looks, but I simply can't fathom how anyone could think this is a good decision making process. Do results literally not matter at all? Do you never want to say "look, we accomplished X today?"
Well y'know this is pretty much what everyone says about everyone else they disagree with. "How can they not see how wrong they are?" But there's pros and cons to just about everything, and supporters of whatever will see the pros as triumphant and justify away the cons.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25806
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Occupy This

Post by Warren » 28 Nov 2011, 13:10

Frankly I'm amazed the Occupy movement has lasted this long. I suppose now it's an institution. How long before it recieves government funding? How long before it's an entitlement? What is keeping them there? They must believe they are capable of acomplishing something.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ayn_Randian
Posts: 10727
Joined: 08 May 2010, 14:58

Re: Occupy This

Post by Ayn_Randian » 28 Nov 2011, 13:11

fyodor wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Jake wrote:
Kolohe wrote:OFFS: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

It was a goddamn dinner invitation, you fucking stupid morons, not a collective action problem.
I suspect that OWS will eventually be is pretty much just a glorious "Greatest Hits" parody of all the problems with the ancient Athenian system of direct democracy.
How can the people in the middle of it fail to understand this? I can, if I expand my mind enough, imagine that people doing jazz hands may not feel self conscious about how it looks, but I simply can't fathom how anyone could think this is a good decision making process. Do results literally not matter at all? Do you never want to say "look, we accomplished X today?"
Well y'know this is pretty much what everyone says about everyone else they disagree with. "How can they not see how wrong they are?" But there's pros and cons to just about everything, and supporters of whatever will see the pros as triumphant and justify away the cons.
To a certain extent, yes, I agree. But this is a whole other level of inefficiency and, might I add, majoritarian marginalization. The irony is very strong.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2672
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Occupy This

Post by Jake » 28 Nov 2011, 13:13

JasonL wrote:How can the people in the middle of it fail to understand this? I can, if I expand my mind enough, imagine that people doing jazz hands may not feel self conscious about how it looks, but I simply can't fathom how anyone could think this is a good decision making process. Do results literally not matter at all? Do you never want to say "look, we accomplished X today?"
There are, as I've learned during my (almost yearlong, so far!) stint as a politician, actual, living people for whom "inclusiveness" and "community involvement" have ceased to be "the best means to certain ends" and have become the ends in themselves.

I fail to grok.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6859
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: Occupy This

Post by fyodor » 28 Nov 2011, 13:15

thoreau wrote: If you believe that everybody there is an autonomous individual and none can speak for the group, then there's no need for a group decision on whether to go to dinner.
Somehow I just flashed on a story told by Roger McGuinn of The Byrds who circa 1965 asked George Harrison if he believed in God and Harrison replied, "We [meaning The Beatles] haven't decided on that." Which, needless to say, McGuinn found rather odd!

More semi-seriously, maybe the Occupiers don't believe individuals are, um how did you put it, oh yeah, autonomous? Not having leaders who "speak for the group" is not necessarily the same as thinking everyone can act in accordance with their own interests as opposed to the group's. Maybe I'm reading too much into it (to even half-seriously suggest this), but maybe not.

EDIT: fixed placement of an apostrophe (even though "group" represents a multitude, one group is not plural!)
Last edited by fyodor on 28 Nov 2011, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6859
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: Occupy This

Post by fyodor » 28 Nov 2011, 13:19

Jake wrote:
JasonL wrote:How can the people in the middle of it fail to understand this? I can, if I expand my mind enough, imagine that people doing jazz hands may not feel self conscious about how it looks, but I simply can't fathom how anyone could think this is a good decision making process. Do results literally not matter at all? Do you never want to say "look, we accomplished X today?"
There are, as I've learned during my (almost yearlong, so far!) stint as a politician, actual, living people for whom "inclusiveness" and "community involvement" have ceased to be "the best means to certain ends" and have become the ends in themselves.

I fail to grok.
If you look at all of humanity as family, there's a certain point to swimming or sinking as one that transcends whether you swim or sink.

Not justifying, mind you, just hoping to help with the grok.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 23638
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Occupy This

Post by Jennifer » 28 Nov 2011, 13:19

I didn't bother watching it, but I know last night, my local TV station kept running ads for the News at Ten, and one story was "How Occupy Hartford is preparing for the winter." I'm amazed they stuck around after that early blizzard last month.

I still have the same basic attitude toward OWS that I did at the start -- "Don't necessarily agree with their solutions, but agree with what they identify as problems." And the authorities' responses to OWS only makes me more sympathetic -- pepper-spraying nonviolent protesters at point-blank range, assaulting credentialed journalists there to report on the story because their jobs require it, aiming flashbang grenades directly at the heads of non-violent protesters only a few feet away ... if this were a conspiracy-theory novel, you could write a plausible storyline that the cops are secretly working for OWS under deep cover, to increase Americans' sympathy for the group.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13808
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Occupy This

Post by Kolohe » 28 Nov 2011, 13:20

Actually, fyodor, I think that's exactly it, for the same reasons at Jake said. (Remember, Umoja!)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13152
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Occupy This

Post by Highway » 28 Nov 2011, 13:20

thoreau wrote:You know, I hates me some bailed-out banksters, and I salute everybody who braves cold nights and hot pepper spray to protest against them, but I completely fail to see how hating on bailed-out banksters necessitates such angsty deliberations over something as simple as a dinner invitation. Either go or don't go. If you believe that everybody there is an autonomous individual and none can speak for the group, then there's no need for a group decision on whether to go to dinner. Turkey dinner for some, staying at the camp for others.

Also, I really liked "We are the 99%" as a motto. It's supposed to mean that this is about economics, not culture. But their whole model is something that would piss off anybody who isn't into a very particular cultural and ethical mindset that 99% of us would find annoying as all hell.
I think the reason for the change, from 'a lot of people hating on bailed out banksters' to 'a group that's much more interested in consensus and angsty deliberations', is because the original people came, they complained, and they went home. Now the people there are the people Jake mentions: the ones who are less interested in actual results and more interested in the process, in the 'inclusiveness'. And indeed, I'd imagine that's what actually *drove* some of the 99% out of the Occupy camps and back home. "Hey, I came here to actually protest, not to play Jazz Hands and not get anything done." "Well, I don't agree with that, so I'm going to take the temperature of the group. Who thinks that we need to keep going with the process before we make a conclusion?" "Well, F this noise, I'm going home where it's warm if that's what you guys are gonna do."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests