Occupy This

Warren

Occupy This

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2011, 11:19

What do we think of Occupy Wall Street and it's spin offs?

I'm down with the muppets... except Elmo. Elmo is a second hander. Fuck elmo.

I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Jennifer

Re: Occupy This

Post by Jennifer » 08 Oct 2011, 11:39

We should ask Ellie the Awesome Moderatrix to pretty-please take the three or four pages of the OFFS thread dedicated to this topic, and putting them here. Ahem.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Oct 2011, 11:40

I'm all for peaceful quasi-spontaneous gatherings, happenings, demonstrations and rallies. As long as they don't do something crazy like dance at the Jefferson Memorial, that is.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2011, 11:47

Jennifer wrote:We should ask Ellie the Awesome Moderatrix to pretty-please take the three or four pages of the OFFS thread dedicated to this topic, and putting them here. Ahem.
That would certainly be welcome. I don't know how difficult it is to review and extract though. I wouldn't want to be any bother.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Oct 2011, 11:54

Jennifer wrote:We should ask Ellie the Awesome Moderatrix to pretty-please take the three or four pages of the OFFS thread dedicated to this topic, and putting them here. Ahem.
Hmm, 99% of the posts are in 1% of the topics and people are asking for a supreme overlord to undue the emergent results of individual decision making and force redistribution.
:D
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Oct 2011, 23:07

One thing I will say for the Occupados: shutting down the Nat'l Air and Space Museum by storming the flying killer robot exhibit is pretty awesome.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Oct 2011, 00:25

Hugh Akston wrote:One thing I will say for the Occupados: shutting down the Nat'l Air and Space Museum by storming the flying killer robot exhibit is pretty awesome.
I don't see anything about flying killer robots in that link or the one that it links to.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Oct 2011, 00:30

thoreau wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:One thing I will say for the Occupados: shutting down the Nat'l Air and Space Museum by storming the flying killer robot exhibit is pretty awesome.
I don't see anything about flying killer robots in that link or the one that it links to.
Wilcox said the protesters went to the Air and Space museum to demonstrate against a military drone exhibit.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2011, 01:26

They're idiots, and not going to win the hearts of any tourists who wanted to see the museum.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Oct 2011, 01:41

Jennifer wrote:They're idiots, and not going to win the hearts of any tourists who wanted to see the museum.
Why? The National Death From Above and Boondoggle Museum seems like a good symbolic target.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2011, 02:43

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Jennifer wrote:They're idiots, and not going to win the hearts of any tourists who wanted to see the museum.
Why? The National Death From Above and Boondoggle Museum seems like a good symbolic target.
It reminds me of the revolutionaries who could've taken over the government's radio and television transmitters, but chose instead to take over the government office in charge of granting radio and television broadcast licenses.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Oct 2011, 07:32

At least one person was pepper sprayed when the crowd pinned a guard against a wall and another guard came to his rescue,
More daring than going after a few almost min wage security guards at the Smithsonian would be to attempt to disrupt the Army 10 miler today
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

db

Post by db » 09 Oct 2011, 09:57

I'm not sure what exactly I think about the "occupy" protests, as I've been too busy working at my job and producing value for shareholders (which largely includes any of the protesters and their family members who have 401(k)s) to really read up on them.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Oct 2011, 13:43

Eh, if I saw a flying killer robot in the museum, I'd probably be pissed off. So I salute the protestors.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Oct 2011, 13:46

+10^6
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Oct 2011, 13:47

thoreau wrote:
Eh, if I saw a flying killer robot in the museum, I'd probably be pissed off. So I salute the protestors.
Yeah, I prefer the ICBM's ...

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2011, 13:48

I oppose drones too, but I can pretty much guarantee that some of the people in Washington that day were tourists who'd always wanted to see the memorials and the Smithsonian, and they finally got the time and money to go all that way so Cody and Dakota could see the moon capsule or whatever, and they couldn't go to the museum.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2011, 13:52

Still, though, as I said on the other thread (and my own blog), even though I don't agree with their policy prescriptions (insofar as they even have any), I completely agree with their basic sense "The system is rigged in favor of the rich at the expense of the poor." Rich guys who fuck up get bailouts; poor people who fuck up get their lives destroyed (same way rich guys who do drugs go to tennis rehab, while poor guys who do the same drugs get 30-year prison sentences). No second chances for the people enticed into bad student-loan debt after spending their whole lives hearing parents, teachers, counselors and the government all say "This is GOOD debt. It will give you a better future!"

When I am extra-pessimistic, I think "Yeah, their policy prescriptions suck, as did the Bolsheviks', but having stupid ideas won't prevent a revolution from being successful."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Oct 2011, 13:54

Getting pissed off is the first step to change. Sometimes the ensuing change is positive, and sometimes negative, but either way, getting pissed off is the first step.

You might ask why I am more sympathetic to them than the Teabaggers. The Teabaggers have moved past the "getting pissed off" stage and into the "nominating candidates stage." And their candidates suck.

If/when the Occupados nominate candidates, my opinion of them might change for the worse.
--Mo

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Oct 2011, 14:00

Jennifer wrote:I oppose drones too, but I can pretty much guarantee that some of the people in Washington that day were tourists who'd always wanted to see the memorials and the Smithsonian, and they finally got the time and money to go all that way so Cody and Dakota could see the moon capsule or whatever, and they couldn't go to the museum.
Eh, fuck those people. Your argument smacks of the same kind of aesthetics as "can't those gays control their disgusting perversions and get married or at least hide it."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Oct 2011, 14:02

Gays are stopping people from going to museums?

*Non sequitur*

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Oct 2011, 14:04

dbcooper wrote:Gays are stopping people from going to museums?

*Non sequitur*
No, but asking people to please not protest so as not to ruin someone's vacation is a similar kind of argument. God forbid the Midwesterners face some kind of controversy.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Oct 2011, 14:08

No, protesters stopping other people from visiting museums has nothing to do with gay people appearing to be openly gay.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Oct 2011, 14:11

dbcooper wrote:No, protesters stopping other people from visiting museums has nothing to do with gay people appearing to be openly gay.
I suppose that makes sense if you think civil disobedience has no place.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2011, 14:13

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Gays are stopping people from going to museums?

*Non sequitur*
No, but asking people to please not protest so as not to ruin someone's vacation is a similar kind of argument. God forbid the Midwesterners face some kind of controversy.
I'm not "asking them not to protest and ruin someone's vacation"; I'm pointing out that "ruining someone's vacation is not the way to win them over to your side." And your gay marriage analogy has no bearing on what I said; there's never been a situation wherein a straight person can honestly say "I was prevented from doing such-and-such thing now that gays can get hitched!"