Skynet in the sky: The Flying Killer Robot thread

Dangerman

Re: Skynet in the sky: The Flying Killer Robot thread

Post by Dangerman » 03 Jun 2015, 16:59

William Gibson wrote: They sent a slamhound on Turner's trail in New Delhi, slotted it to his pheromones and the color of his hair. It caught up with him on a street called Chandni Chauk and came scrambling for his rented BMW through a forest of bare brown legs and pedicab tires. Its core was a kilogram of recrystallized hexogene and flaked TNT.

He didn't see it coming. The last he saw of India was the pink stucco facade of a place called the Khush-Oil Hotel.

Because he had a good agent, he had a good contract. Because he had a good contract, he was in Singapore an hour after the explosion. Most of him, anyway. The Dutch surgeon liked to joke about that, how an unspecified percentage of Turner hadn't made it out of Palam International on that first flight and had to spend the night there in a shed, in a support vat.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jul 2015, 16:41

There will need to be some decisions made in the very near future, regarding drone rights vs. property and privacy rights. This is a story Wine Commonsewer posted on FB: assholes with a camera drone were hovering over people's backyards while they were sunbathing (not passing over, but hovering), even going low enough to look underneath a patio canopy, one man shot it down when it came over his property, and he was arrested. The drone owners face no charges at all.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29650818/loui ... down-drone

Apparently, given the current legal status quo, it would be (at least in some states) legal for me to take a camera drone, hover it over your family's heads while you're trying to relax in your own backyard ... and presumably, so long as the drone stays above the level of your heads there's nothing you can legally do in response? WTF?
WDRB News spoke with Merideth Tuesday afternoon, and he gave his side of the story.

"Sunday afternoon, the kids – my girls – were out on the back deck, and the neighbors were out in their yard," Merideth said. "And they come in and said, 'Dad, there’s a drone out here, flying over everybody’s yard.'"

Merideth's neighbors saw it too.

"It was just hovering above our house and it stayed for a few moments and then she finally waved and it took off," said neighbor Kim VanMeter.

VanMeter has a 16-year-old daughter who lays out at their pool. She says a drone hovering with a camera is creepy and weird.

"I just think you should have privacy in your own backyard," she said.

Merideth agrees and said he had to go see for himself.

“Well, I came out and it was down by the neighbor’s house, about 10 feet off the ground, looking under their canopy that they’ve got under their back yard," Merideth said. "I went and got my shotgun and I said, ‘I’m not going to do anything unless it’s directly over my property.’"

That moment soon arrived, he said.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Jul 2015, 16:51

Arrested? Cause that's totally something to arrest someone who never left his property and only harmed someone else's device that was sent onto his own property. I can see maybe he was arrested for using a shotgun in a residential area...

So extending the camera part, it's fine if I take a camera on a stick and put it over a privacy fence to take pictures of you in your yard?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Jul 2015, 19:34

Highway wrote:Arrested? Cause that's totally something to arrest someone who never left his property and only harmed someone else's device that was sent onto his own property. I can see maybe he was arrested for using a shotgun in a residential area...

So extending the camera part, it's fine if I take a camera on a stick and put it over a privacy fence to take pictures of you in your yard?
Depends on the charges. Unlawful discharge of a weapon within city limits is a thing. Lots of places will throw you in the pokey for shooting a varmint in your own yard, and I could see a drone being a varmint. In this case, it looks like they used some kind of shooting into the air as reckless endangerment charge, on the theory that the pellets might hurt someone where they come down. If it were a rifle or a handgun, I'd probably agree, but birdshot drops to terminal velocity pretty quickly, so the worst it would likely do is crack somebody's windshield or the like.

Still, it seems like there is an invasion of privacy thing, especially given how low it was flying, and the obvious we're-looking-at-you-in-your-back-yard thing. I recall a case where police showed up at someone's house to cite them for public nudity for topless sunbathing in their back yard. They told the police officers that the back yard was private, and that nobody could possibly see them back there. The cops went out, looked around, and saw a neighbor standing on the roof with binoculars. They cited the watcher for invasion of privacy and went on from there.

However, I know that the whole Streisand Effect was named after Barbara Streisand's maniacal demands that aerial photos taken for a coastal erosion survey be removed from a California website because they also showed her backyard, and she claimed that that was an invasion of privacy, and the fact that almost no one knew they existed until she complained publicly, and then everyone found out about it and a bunch more people downloaded the photo who wouldn't have known about it before.

So there's got to be a balance somewhere between operating a drone that flies around and may see things, and operating it in such a way that it clearly violates the privacy of someone's back yard. However, they may not be able to do that if the neighbors' back porch and the swimming pool could reasonably be seen from the other point, because that would make them outdoor places in public view, rather than private spaces. However, even if someone's in plain view through their window, that's still invasion of privacy if you make any serious effort to watch them.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Jul 2015, 21:08

A throwable net might work better for dealing with low-flying drones. Maybe some kind of bolas.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Jul 2015, 21:21

Trained falcons.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Jul 2015, 21:57

Team Shotgun!
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jul 2015, 00:49

thoreau wrote:Trained falcons.
You laugh.

The snackstealer got one of these for Christmas a few years back, and while we were out in my folks back yard learning to fly it, a sharp-shinned hawk came out of the trees and tried to snatch it.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Jul 2015, 13:43

There are videos of raptor attacks on quadcopters, too. I'd be concerned about injury to the bird, though.

Maybe anti-drone drones.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jul 2015, 13:44

If the drone flies low enough to peek through a window under the porch awning, a baseball bat will do.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jul 2015, 16:11

Throwable net with bolas is a good idea.

Capture the damned thing and see who comes to claim it. Phone your lawyer and see how many charges you can throw at the guy under the myriad regulations that exist.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 30 Jul 2015, 18:43

Eric the .5b wrote:There are videos of raptor attacks on quadcopters, too. I'd be concerned about injury to the bird, though.

Maybe anti-drone drones.
You've got two great ideas, so how about a drone that drops a net onto the other drone?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Jul 2015, 19:39

Dangerman wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:There are videos of raptor attacks on quadcopters, too. I'd be concerned about injury to the bird, though.

Maybe anti-drone drones.
You've got two great ideas, so how about a drone that drops a net onto the other drone?
Dropping's too fiddly. Maybe a butterfly-style net hanging from the drone, or grappling hooks.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jul 2015, 20:53

Eric the .5b wrote:
Dangerman wrote:

Maybe anti-drone drones.
Dropping's too fiddly. Maybe a butterfly-style net hanging from the drone, or grappling hooks.
You're refighting the last war. Obviously it should release a swarm of gnat sized mini-drones.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Jul 2015, 20:58

Warren wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Dangerman wrote:

Maybe anti-drone drones.
You're refighting the last war. Obviously it should release a swarm of gnat sized mini-drones.
You're clearly fighting the Cold War as a DoD contractor. :P

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jul 2015, 21:01

If it's low enough to peek under a patio privacy canopy, then you probably could touch it with a ten-foot pole. Given that this guy was arrested specifically for firing a gun, I wonder if it would be legal to knock down and destroy a drone that way? I'd claim self-defense -- I have no idea whose drone that is or what dangerous weapons might be on it, after all. What if it's one of those al-Qaeda terrorist drones?

Jokes aside, if a drone came hovering low in my fenced-in backyard it genuinely would scare the hell out of me.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Jul 2015, 21:04

A plain old butterfly net would work in that case. Or else one of those handheld fishing nets.

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jul 2015, 21:49

If the drone is over your property and impedes your enjoyment of it, below a certain level, you can nail the owner for trespassing
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jul 2015, 21:53

Put something stinky on the drone and send it back to its owner.
--Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 30 Jul 2015, 23:51

thoreau wrote:Put something stinky on the drone and send it back to its owner.
Print out goatse or tubgirl, capture it, affix an arm with the image at a suitable distance from the lens, and release it. Then listen for the scream.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 31 Jul 2015, 10:25

Warren wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Dangerman wrote:

Maybe anti-drone drones.
:lol: :lol:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 31 Jul 2015, 11:50

Eric the .5b wrote:A plain old butterfly net would work in that case. Or else one of those handheld fishing nets.
My prototype would have a small motorized spool of monofilament with a fishing weight and a down-looking camera for target acquisition. Hover above and drop the line until it fouls the props.

Sort of killer satellite model in and of that my unit may not be coming home in one piece...

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Aug 2015, 17:04

Pentagon plans to increase number of daily drone flights by 50% over the next 4 years.
The plan to increase by 50% the number of daily drone flights would broaden surveillance and intelligence collection in such locales as Ukraine, Iraq, Syria, the South China Sea and North Africa, said the official, who provided exclusive details of the plan to The Wall Street Journal. It would be the first significant increase in the U.S. drone program since 2011, reflecting pressure on military efforts to address a cascading series of global crises.
I'm certain that the people and governments in those regions won't mistake these harmless surveillance missions for armed threats by a warmongering imperial superpower.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Aug 2015, 18:15

Most of them are too busy shooting at each other to notice.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 28 Aug 2015, 07:31

Welp, that's it. Cops in ND are arming drones. It was nice knowing you guys. And by "you guys" I mean "humanity"...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie