I just don't get it

Warren

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 08:41
thoreau wrote:What is so offensive about the Peloton bike ad? It's an ad about attractive, comfortable people buying an expensive piece of exercise equipment. Is this something new?
Never surprise a woman with exercise/diet stuff unless especially if it has already been expressly requested previously.
pretty sure it works this way
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Or, if it’s a known acceptable thing - I.e. SO likes to exercise.

I find it odd really that the base presumption is never do this. If I buy you a book am I saying you are stupid?

Masked Grylliader

Post by Masked Grylliader »

JD wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 13:54
She thanks him for it = she is a craven submissive who buys into the patriarchy
Well, she also says she's "so nervous" about riding it for her first time, not to mention making AN ENTIRE VIDEO OVER THE COURSE OF A YEAR to thank him. That's the part that makes me go from "eh, advertising" to

Remember, remember

Warren

Post by Warren »

Masked Grylliader wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 11:22
JD wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 13:54
She thanks him for it = she is a craven submissive who buys into the patriarchy
Well, she also says she's "so nervous" about riding it for her first time, not to mention making AN ENTIRE VIDEO OVER THE COURSE OF A YEAR to thank him. That's the part that makes me go from "eh, advertising" to

:roll:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

thoreau wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 11:34
What is so offensive about the Peloton bike ad? It's an ad about attractive, comfortable people buying an expensive piece of exercise equipment. Is this something new?
There is a loud minority on the internet that believes a woman improving her appearance to appeal more to a man is sexism/misogyny/patriarchy/etc. I've never met one of those people in real life, though.

When the ad came up at work, one woman made it very clear that she would be beyond thrilled if her husband bought her such a thing. As in "death by snu-snu for the husband" thrilled.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 16:03
There is a loud minority on the internet that believes a woman improving her appearance to appeal more to a man is sexism/misogyny/patriarchy/etc.
I don't see that in the Peloton ad. All Peloton ads strike me as with "I'm doing this for me" vibe, with an emphasis on health over appearance. As the snarky commentary makes plain, she doesn't lose much weight. The ad wants you to believe she's stronger, fitter, feels healthier and more "alive".
Last edited by Warren on 08 Dec 2019, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

The women that i know that have a peloton love them. But it’s one of those things you don’t get unless you’re really sure they want one.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

The complaint is definitely reading the ad as "Wife, you must put more effort into maintaining your attractiveness for me, because you are not currently sufficiently thin".

I refuse to actually watch the ad so I can't comment on how much sense that makes.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

There are also some complaints about how people in Peloton ads have nice houses so something something privilege.

On the one hand, I'm glad that the social justice brigade is finally noticing that class privilege exists. On the other hand, who the fuck do you think buys $2200 exercise bikes?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo »

thoreau wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 17:35
There are also some complaints about how people in Peloton ads have nice houses so something something privilege.

On the one hand, I'm glad that the social justice brigade is finally noticing that class privilege exists. On the other hand, who the fuck do you think buys $2200 exercise bikes?
And a $36/month subscription.

That said, the houses they put those pelotons in are ridiculous. But advertising is always about fantasy fulfillment. I mean, who the fuck gets someone a brand new Lexus with a fucking bow on it for Christmas?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 07:11
thoreau wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 17:35

And a $36/month subscription.

That said, the houses they put those pelotons in are ridiculous. But advertising is always about fantasy fulfillment. I mean, who the fuck gets someone a brand new Lexus with a fucking bow on it for Christmas?
Well, not always. Now that we have all the “body positive” ads for women’s shit, a lot of apparel ads have become whatever the opposite of fantasy fulfillment is. Dumpiness-confirmation?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo »

The fantasy that you don't have to do anything to be attractive to others. I mean if I looked like Jameela Jamil I would be body positive as fuck.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 08:18
The fantasy that you don't have to do anything to be attractive to others. I mean if I looked like Jameela Jamil I would be body positive as fuck.
Yeah I’m talking about all the fat women selling clothes now. It’s a big trend in a lot of my catalogs now and it’s saving me a lot of money.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo »

Oh Jesus, I didn’t think it was possible, but McMegan has the worst take possible on the peloton ad. She says that couples shouldn’t have separate bank accounts.

“An equally plausible, and equally troubling, explanation is that the couple has substantial separate “his” and “hers” bank accounts. Which reduces marriage to an arm’s-length joint venture rather than commitment so deep that it is metaphysically impossible for one spouse to have access to significantly more resources than the other.
Such a transactional view of marriage is unhealthy for a couple, or a culture.”

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I had to be persuaded out of that view. I still hold the view that fully distinct “your debts are yours and mine are mine” accounting is pretty bad for a married couple. Large financial decisions should not be made with the idea that “it’s my money she/he doesn’t have to know or has no say”.

Warren

Post by Warren »

I remember someone saying they and their spouse each did 75/25 depositing into joint/individual accounts. Large expenditures out of the joint account had to be agreed upon. Seemed like a good system. But what do I know.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Warren wrote:I remember someone saying they and their spouse each did 75/25 depositing into joint/individual accounts. Large expenditures out of the joint account had to be agreed upon. Seemed like a good system. But what do I know.
That’s the system I used to find odd but now accept as reasonable if you want to go that way.

Warren

Post by Warren »

I think the main selling point was it eliminated arguments where one person prioritized an expense that the other found frivolous (MMO Game subscription e.g.)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Mo wrote:Oh Jesus, I didn’t think it was possible, but McMegan has the worst take possible on the peloton ad. She says that couples shouldn’t have separate bank accounts.

“An equally plausible, and equally troubling, explanation is that the couple has substantial separate “his” and “hers” bank accounts. Which reduces marriage to an arm’s-length joint venture rather than commitment so deep that it is metaphysically impossible for one spouse to have access to significantly more resources than the other.
Such a transactional view of marriage is unhealthy for a couple, or a culture.”
She then goes on to admit that the couple in the ad might not even have the arrangement that she is bemoaning. It basically amounted to "I want to be like everyone else and write a Peloton opinion piece. And toss in a few hobby horses that somehow manage to be even more tenuously linked to the ad than anything the other columnists read into it."
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Mo

I just don't get it

Post by Mo »

Warren wrote:I remember someone saying they and their spouse each did 75/25 depositing into joint/individual accounts. Large expenditures out of the joint account had to be agreed upon. Seemed like a good system. But what do I know.
That’s me. Well technically, 75/12.5/12.5 so everyone has skin in each other’s increased salary game. It also allows us to get each other gifts without the other knowing. Also, if I want to waste my money on a bottle of Yamazaki, that’s my business. The vast majority of expenses are joint and it was literally one fight at the setup of the system.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The actor who played Peloton Husband actually gave his real-life girlfriend a Peloton for Christmas.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... as-present

Dude has cojones, gotta give him that.
--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I can't get over the overall tone that sort of treats the actor like he did something wrong then doubled down on wrong. It isn't wrong. None of it is wrong.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

JasonL wrote:
27 Dec 2019, 08:43
I can't get over the overall tone that sort of treats the actor like he did something wrong then doubled down on wrong. It isn't wrong. None of it is wrong.
Yeah, that was weird. Even if the commercial was bad, it's not the actors' faults!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I think social justice now blames labor for collaborating with management. Which is dumb on its own terms and even dumber when you consider that management made an ad showing how much somebody enjoyed a year of exercise.
--Mo

nicole

Post by nicole »

People who complain that bathroom stall doors don't go all the way to the floor. How am I supposed to know if it's actually in use? Are you actually saying trying to open the door when someone is inside would be preferable?