I just don't get it

Ellie

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Ellie » 14 Jun 2019, 14:20

I will admit that since I first made that post*, I've come around a little bit to SOME of the picture-in-picture videos. There was one I saw the other day about trying to survive on a Minecraft server with a difficult player, and the gamer's eyerolls and facepalms did make it funnier.

Also, it's pretty funny when there are jump scares.

But I definitely think CGI avatars are bullshit.

* THREE YEARS AGO, omg, Modspawn has been marinating in the internet for a long, long time.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2019, 15:12

I watched a few "let's play" videos, I dunno like three or four years ago. I think I liked the PinP because I was more interested in the person posting the video than the game. Watching someone else play a game got old pretty quick though. But yeah, CGI avatar is some BS.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 Jun 2019, 16:00

I can take or leave a player PiP. For me, it all depends on if they seem... genuine, I guess? I mean, I'm watching a person play a video game, ffs, so I'm already in lala land. But there are folks who come across as just loving the game, and others who just seem to play to the camera and their audience, and have a veneer of "look at me, aren't I cool" to them. I dunno; it's hard to define. I guess the best description are folks that come across as dudebros. The Guy Fieri's of gaming. Can't stand 'em.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 Jun 2019, 16:44

Dangerman wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 13:21
Watching someone ride a horse maybe 😘
Noice.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Jun 2019, 17:02

Even though I haven't played video games in ages (IIRC the last home system I personally owned was the Sega Genesis, FFS), I do get the appeal of watching videos of other people playing -- specifically, people who are enough better than you to reach levels you could never reach yourself. (Although what I don't get, in terms of video games, is why more of them don't offer some sort of "tourist mode" -- like, I just want to go through all the levels and explore this world the designers created, DESPITE my inability to get past that super-hard monster trap on level 3 or whatever.)

I can think of no other art or literary form where you're not able to experience the whole thing unless you can successfully solve a series of puzzles or challenges first. "Welcome to the Sistine Chapel! Look at the walls all you like, but if you wanna see the ceiling you first have to hunt the wumpus, navigate the Oregon trail without dying of dysentery, and rescue the princess."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 14 Jun 2019, 17:19

Nice wumpus reference.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Sep 2019, 10:26

The current trend of enamel pins. There are so many cute ones right now on Etsy and in podcasts' merch shops, but what would I actually do with them if I bought any? Where are people putting these things? And what is the point of proclaiming myself to be part of a fandom if no one else can see it unless they're six inches away?
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Sep 2019, 14:03

Hahaha I feel you. A big thing in fiber type communities is to pin them to your project bags. Which is fine I guess but then it’s something I’m never going to take out of my house. Some people do of course.

People also pin them on tote bags, backpacks, etc but my bags are pretty much all too fancy to put a pin on any of them. I could put one on a tote bag I made. That’s about it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Sep 2019, 14:28

fiber type communities?

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Sep 2019, 14:50

Knitting, spinning, sewing, crochet, etc

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Sep 2019, 14:58

ah

JD

Post by JD » 30 Sep 2019, 12:01

Jennifer wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 17:02
I can think of no other art or literary form where you're not able to experience the whole thing unless you can successfully solve a series of puzzles or challenges first. "Welcome to the Sistine Chapel! Look at the walls all you like, but if you wanna see the ceiling you first have to hunt the wumpus, navigate the Oregon trail without dying of dysentery, and rescue the princess."
It's not exactly the same, but movies and theater and novels are a bit like that - you have to get through act/chapter 1 before you get to see act/chapter 2. (Or at least they are if experienced traditionally, i.e. no fast-forwarding or skipping forward in the novel.) I think the essence of the art form, after all, is that solving the puzzles is key to experiencing "the whole thing". In a fair number of games, being able to experience the whole thing would kind of ruin some of the puzzle aspect - e.g., "Oh, that's where the blue key is hidden", or "Ah, I see that corridor A has a monster lurking down it, so I should precede my entrance with a few grenades, but corridor B is empty, so I should conserve my ammunition."

I feel like there have been a couple counterexamples but I can't remember any offhand. I do remember that in Nethack there's "explore mode" or "wizard mode" in which you still technically have to solve puzzles, but you can't die (unless you specifically agree to die!) and you can just wish yourself any item you want, which makes the puzzles trivial.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Sep 2019, 12:37

Jennifer wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 17:02
Even though I haven't played video games in ages (IIRC the last home system I personally owned was the Sega Genesis, FFS), I do get the appeal of watching videos of other people playing -- specifically, people who are enough better than you to reach levels you could never reach yourself. (Although what I don't get, in terms of video games, is why more of them don't offer some sort of "tourist mode" -- like, I just want to go through all the levels and explore this world the designers created, DESPITE my inability to get past that super-hard monster trap on level 3 or whatever.)
There is a whole noisy fleet of Twitter shithead gatekeepers (frequently intersecting with the set of those same streamers who do playthrough videos), who try to shout down every game that tries to build in some sort of easy mode, because that's not "real" gaming or it harms their self-worth or some other specious argument. So because a lot of games don't want to get into some crossfire about it, they keep quiet about it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Sep 2019, 15:03

I used to thoroughly enjoy text adventure games in the early days of PC gaming, especially ones in which you had to make your own map as you went along, both because your own imagination of each 'room' in the game was always richer than the pathetic graphics in subsequent adventure games and because there was usually some logic to the puzzles and, especially in Infocom games, humor in the text. I don't know if I'd have the patience for them now, but when they were state-of-the-art I loved them. I never had any patience for shooter games and still don't. Tell me I've got to figure out where to get whatever items are required to get past the guard or monster or whatever and maybe I'm game; tell me I have to learn how to press controller keys in some arbitrarily determined fashion faster than my "opponent" and my eyes glaze over.

JD

Post by JD » 30 Sep 2019, 15:25

Oh yeah, the Grand Theft Auto games have been kind of a counterexample. They're not a perfect counterexample in that there are always some parts of the game shut off to you unless you jump through a certain number of hoops, but once you're dropped off in the game, you don't HAVE to do anything - you can just wander around exploring and admiring the city, causing mayhem or not as you please, testing yourself with self-imposed challenges, etc.

Minecraft is probably the best counterexample - there is really nothing to do but wander around and see things, except insofar as you impose goals on yourself.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Sep 2019, 15:30

I mean games aren't games. What makes them appealing to the people who like them are very different by subgenre. Like - I don't get platformers or the people who love them. I suspect those people would like playing golf in another life.

I like A++ RPGs because I get more engaged than in light fiction - it's part about story and part about a play style you enjoy for tactical reasons.

There are straight puzzle games that are these days often a combo of pretty backgrounds and good puzzles in their best form.

Competitive games tend to be dominated by how well the game handles balance and rewarding for the type of skill those players like developing like boom headshot or whatnot. I start to hate these when The One Winning Strategy is revealed.

MMOs are social functions as much as anything

And so on.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Oct 2019, 10:28

At lunch with a friend yesterday I learned to my horror that there are people who not only not prefer to work remotely, but prefer not to work remotely.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Oct 2019, 10:56

I don't get the distinction between the first and second things, but I generally prefer not to work remotely.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Oct 2019, 11:06

I prefer not to work remotely, or otherwise.

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Oct 2019, 11:16

My current tasks utilize (maybe not "require", but strongly prefer, a style of intermittent coordination with and instruction of other people that I feel would be much more difficult, and far less effective, if I were not on site. Additionally, in general, I would have to develop a significantly different discipline for focusing on work that I recognize I currently don't have.

For these reasons, with my current position, I prefer to work not remotely. If I were doing something else, it might be a different answer.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Oct 2019, 11:51

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 10:28
At lunch with a friend yesterday I learned to my horror that there are people who not only not prefer to work remotely, but prefer not to work remotely.
Haha I can't believe it's taken you this long to hear that. More than 50% of people who find out I work remotely are horrified at the idea of doing that themselves. Because they feed on the energy of other humans.

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Oct 2019, 11:52

I mean, I actually prefer to work super early and on weekends so no one else is even working at the same time, because that inevitably leads to being distracted by other people's fuckups.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Oct 2019, 11:54

nicole wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 11:51
Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 10:28
Haha I can't believe it's taken you this long to hear that. More than 50% of people who find out I work remotely are horrified at the idea of doing that themselves. Because they feed on the energy of other humans.
I mean it's one of those things I never really discuss because I just assume everyone shares my antipathy toward commuting and shared spaces. #solipsism
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Oct 2019, 12:09

I never wanted to work remotely. Not because I enjoyed going in to the office, but because I am too easily distracted.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 07 Oct 2019, 12:30

Aresen wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:09
I never wanted to work remotely. Not because I enjoyed going in to the office, but because I am too easily distracted.
Team Aresen.