I just don't get it

D.A. Ridgely

Re: I just don't get it

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 May 2019, 15:38

It would be wrong to say that "good china" like sterling silver flatware patterns, curtains and shoes tend to be things that only (some) women care with any level of passion about, but as gross generalizations go, it's pretty much true.

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 May 2019, 15:45

I mean, for me the "good dishes" are the ones we have a place setting of 12 for, which means they're hand-me-downs. When I picked out my own dishes that I liked years ago to actually use I wasn't going to spend that kind of money, so they can't be the dishes we use for a lot of people coming over.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 May 2019, 15:49

Highway wrote:
13 May 2019, 15:28
Brown vs. Gray would be entirely dependent on the rest of the room for me. What floors are you putting it on, what other furniture are you getting with it, what is the paint color of the walls? Do you actually like all those other things or are you changing them to go with your table?

As a thing by itself, I like both equally. In that range / vein, I prefer the Madera myself. My dining room has a super traditional to craftsman style, but we have used it like 4 times as its own thing. If there was a room in the house I could give up, it'd be the dining room.
One thing I'm coming to is that people over worry about "clashing" woods and neutrals. Floors are a light oak. Walls are mid gray. Trim is white. White legs would go with trim and be generally less contrast. Black legs would be bolder contrast but still in a palette I'm not worried about clashing. For example, existing chairs are black legged and make sense in the place just fine.

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 May 2019, 16:08

Our 'good dishes' are hand-me-downs also, along with the 'good silver'. We never use them. Maybe we will sometime.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 May 2019, 16:41

nicole wrote:
13 May 2019, 15:45
I mean, for me the "good dishes" are the ones we have a place setting of 12 for, which means they're hand-me-downs.
FWIW, according to a long-ago and vaguely remembered Miss Manners column (one published in a book printed before this millennium) discussing various "fine etiquette" rules adopted from upper-class (or socially conscious middle-class) Britons in the Victorian era: your silver, and I think your "good" dishes too, are supposed to be hand-me-downs -- because that shows you're from a good family which already had silver and fine china in previous generations, not some (pardon my French) nouveau riche or self-made person who actually BOUGHT your own silver. Silverware monogrammed with your great-grandmother's initials nets you more status points than silverware monogrammed with your initials.

In fact: now that I mention it, I have an even vaguer recollection of reading somewhere -- maybe in the same MM column -- there used to be a snobby sneer-comment about "The kind of people who buy their silverware."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 May 2019, 16:47

Formal dining rooms make a ton of sense if "inviting people over for dinner parties" is a substantial portion of your social life.

In general, the point of the living room and the dining room is that you keep them nice and clean like you're expecting to have company over at any given time. This is in contrast to the kitchen and the den, where you hang out on your own and can leave a bit of a mess.

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 May 2019, 17:09

Grey table for the win.

Also hate our good China we almost got kicked out of fortunoffs bc lace curtains gonna curtain.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 May 2019, 17:21

I had a mish mash of handmedown dishes for more than a decade after getting my first apartment. Handing those out vs setting the table with at least semi-matching dishes and silverware does make for a more aesthetic dining experience.

Formal dining room - well if you have more people than your breakfast nook can handle around a table, you need a place that can hold a big table. Our formal dining room growing up ended up being an office and sort of storage/overflow from the formal living room. Which was still kind of informal, just a place where we could sit and read/talk/etc without the TV being on because the TV was in the den.

Gray table. But I like weathered wood more than stained wood, just because.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 May 2019, 20:15

My good dish is the clean one.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 May 2019, 09:45

Hugh Akston wrote:
13 May 2019, 15:18
JasonL wrote:
13 May 2019, 13:52
Related somewhat I'd imagine to the "I don't get it" of Formal Dining Room.
Yeah the dining room as a separate thing where you never eat unless there's company is also weird. Like who has that much space to waste?
U kidding?
People with enough money to afford it.
I like the formal dining room with china cabinet.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 May 2019, 15:57

JasonL wrote:
13 May 2019, 15:03
Not exactly that much viking. I just meant a substantial table that fills some space mead hall style.
BOOOOO!

Shoulda just said trestle table, man. Got my hopes up!

I like the grey better. We picked a 'pre-distressed' trestle table for the den in the FL house to fill some space; a big, driftwood-y, farmhouse, barn door thing.

It's very similar to this, except ours is more bleached out and the longitudinal brace is up off the floor:

I suspect however, that even that simple cross-support style end is still too decorative for you. :)
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 May 2019, 16:12

So ostentatious!

I mean , I'm not really a pure modern minimalist. I like clean lines and generally unbulky things, but I believe in natural materials and a centerpiece with some weight to it (like that table). This move will be the first one where I get to exercise a lot of control over whole rooms instead of just carrying over furniture we already have into a new space.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 May 2019, 16:14

I vote you mount a table top on top of the carousel horse.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 May 2019, 16:16

This is why democracy is terrible and we have Trump in office.

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 May 2019, 16:31

No, the carousel horse is finally getting its due!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 May 2019, 17:42

Ellie wrote:
14 May 2019, 16:14
I vote you mount a table top on top of the carousel horse.
Heh, you said "mount"
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 May 2019, 22:58

Warren wrote:
14 May 2019, 09:45
Hugh Akston wrote:
13 May 2019, 15:18
JasonL wrote:
13 May 2019, 13:52
Related somewhat I'd imagine to the "I don't get it" of Formal Dining Room.
Yeah the dining room as a separate thing where you never eat unless there's company is also weird. Like who has that much space to waste?
U kidding?
People with enough money to afford it.
I like the formal dining room with china cabinet.
I guess that does give grandma something to dust every week while waiting for the reaper to stop by.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 May 2019, 23:30

We eat most family meals in the dining room but the good china, silver and linen doesn't get used except for major holidays and formal dinners, of which we only have two or three a year these days, typically when guests are in town, and not to impress them with the good china but as a tacit way of showing we value their company.

On the roughly 10% chance we move back to Virginia next year, I'm looking forward to getting rid of lots of ratty furniture we just never got around to replacing and picking up some sweet deals on Queen Anne reproductions in the Williamsburg area now that Colonial Williamsburg is facing an uncertain financial future. Picking up a nice six bedroom center hall Colonial ought to be way cheaper than only five years ago, too!

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 May 2019, 09:14

Why do people think I want to work with pdf documents directly in my browser? I literally never in my life want that.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 May 2019, 11:20

Did you get that Chrome extension too? I just got a popup about that this morning and that was exactly my reaction. Ew, no, go away.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 15 May 2019, 17:53

You can't fill out a rec letter for the common app without having the PDF appear in your browser.

As in, my browser is configured to open PDFs in a separate program, and so I cannot use that browser to fill out common app recommendation forms.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Jun 2019, 10:14

Ellie wrote:
03 Jun 2016, 13:21
Video game gameplay videos* (there's a phrase that sounds full of redundancies) that have a picture-in-picture of the gamer's face. It adds fucking fuckall to the finished product to be able to see your slack-jawed mug staring down at your computer screen the entire time you're offering commentary. EVERYBODY does it and I DON'T KNOW WHY
Even worse, gameplay videos where the gamer uses a CGI avatar. I don't get any added benefit from seeing your actual face, so why in the hell do I want to look at a shitty animated monkey or wolf lip-syncing your commentary?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Jun 2019, 12:12

I am not a gamer, but even if I were I can't imagine anything duller than watching someone else play a video game for other than instructional purposes.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 14 Jun 2019, 13:21

Watching someone ride a horse maybe 😘

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 14 Jun 2019, 13:30

Ellie wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 10:14
Ellie wrote:
03 Jun 2016, 13:21
Video game gameplay videos* (there's a phrase that sounds full of redundancies) that have a picture-in-picture of the gamer's face. It adds fucking fuckall to the finished product to be able to see your slack-jawed mug staring down at your computer screen the entire time you're offering commentary. EVERYBODY does it and I DON'T KNOW WHY
Even worse, gameplay videos where the gamer uses a CGI avatar. I don't get any added benefit from seeing your actual face, so why in the hell do I want to look at a shitty animated monkey or wolf lip-syncing your commentary?
It depends on the streamer. There is one I watch from time to time for Dark Souls who has some really good facial expressions that add a lot to the experience. There have been times where he doesn't show his face (like when he's eating) where it loses something by not being able to see him.

I think most people like it so they can see the player's reaction to things.

Also the cynical part of me believes they help with the surrogate friendship illusion some people get by watching these streams.