huh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Aresen » 18 Aug 2018, 17:53

nicole wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 15:36
People who stand left on escalators.
On a down escalator that never, ever ends. With someone playing music they don't like immediately behind them.
Warren wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 16:13
nicole wrote:
huh
Escalator etiquette says, if you don't want to walk down as you ride, you stand on the right so people in a hurry can walk down on the left side.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Aug 2018, 22:04

Aresen wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 17:53
nicole wrote:
On a down escalator that never, ever ends. With someone playing music they don't like immediately behind them.
Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:
huh
Escalator etiquette says, if you don't want to walk down as you ride, you stand on the right so people in a hurry can walk down on the left side.
In all my years of escalator riding that's never been a thing. People ride the escalator at it's speed. A lot of them aren't really wide enough for two lanes of traffic. Even in airports where people are in a hurry there's luggage that prevents that. I'm trying to think of someplace I've seen someone walking past people on an escalator and nothing comes to mind.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Aug 2018, 22:06

Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 14:12
JasonL wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 07:45
Team I Celebrated Ventilation because yes fuck that guy. The lengths you have to go to ignore actual monstrous behavior when you write that description ... your view of moral high ground is questionable.
The constitution is a little fuzzy on how monstrous someone has to be before he forfeits his day in court and summary execution is called for. What's your standard?
It doesn't apply to non citizens subject to military engagement abroad. Sorry it doesn't. It may be a bad idea but it is not a constitutional one. Before one bullet is fired after 9/11 you send the FBI to perform lawful searches on local establishments, get authorization for wire taps based on probable cause only, all that? Come on.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 18 Aug 2018, 22:07

Warren wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 22:04
Aresen wrote:
nicole wrote:
Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:
huh
In all my years of escalator riding that's never been a thing. People ride the escalator at it's speed. A lot of them aren't really wide enough for two lanes of traffic. Even in airports where people are in a hurry there's luggage that prevents that. I'm trying to think of someplace I've seen someone walking past people on an escalator and nothing comes to mind.
You're a great guy, Warren. But we're going to have to send you to the camps.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Aug 2018, 22:10

JasonL wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 22:06
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Team I Celebrated Ventilation because yes fuck that guy. The lengths you have to go to ignore actual monstrous behavior when you write that description ... your view of moral high ground is questionable.
The constitution is a little fuzzy on how monstrous someone has to be before he forfeits his day in court and summary execution is called for. What's your standard?
It doesn't apply to non citizens subject to military engagement abroad. Sorry it doesn't. It may be a bad idea but it is not a constitutional one. Before one bullet is fired after 9/11 you send the FBI to perform lawful searches on local establishments, get authorization for wire taps based on probable cause only, all that? Come on.
i won't. That's the way it should be.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Aug 2018, 22:13

Warren wrote:
It may be the only truly bipartisan and universally followed custom left in D.C. If you stand on the left on a Metro escalator, prepared to be attacked with, at the very least, many rude epithets.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Aug 2018, 03:08

JasonL wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
I must have missed the part where the bill of rights says for citizens only. Maybe I need those Ben Franklin glasses from National Treasure.

I'm still not clear on your answer to my question. Is it "any time intelligence agencies assure us he's a bad hombre", or is it "any time due process is so inconvenient"?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Aug 2018, 04:47

Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
I must have missed the part where the bill of rights says for citizens only. Maybe I need those Ben Franklin glasses from National Treasure.

I'm still not clear on your answer to my question. Is it "any time intelligence agencies assure us he's a bad hombre", or is it "any time due process is so inconvenient"?
If OBL was on US territory, haul him into court. In a military theater abroad, it’s a bit different.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Aug 2018, 08:23

For starters yes.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Aug 2018, 10:56

Mo wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 04:47
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:

If OBL was on US territory, haul him into court. In a military theater abroad, it’s a bit different.
Military theater? I don't remember that term of art appearing in the constitution. There was something about congress having the power to declare war. Was war declared? By congress?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Aug 2018, 14:28

Warren do you even know what a pain in the ass it is to declare war? It's an even bigger bother than observing due process against someone who committed a crime. Ain't nobody got that kinda time when there's people need killt.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Aug 2018, 15:53

I’m sympathetic in some regard to the big picture aim of the argument but it’s a bad argument being applied to an obviously unworkable case. Your agents don’t have authority to investigate, your courts don’t have jurisdiction, the guy runs an army, there’s no way to get evidence under a regime that grants presumptive civil rights. It’s not annoying it’s laughable.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Aug 2018, 16:30

JasonL wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 15:53
Your agents don’t have authority to investigate
Just assassinate?
JasonL wrote:
your courts don’t have jurisdiction
Just your assassins?
JasonL wrote:
guy runs an army
You sure your not thinking of Saddam Hussein. I know a lot of you "shoot him now" type got those two confused.
JasonL wrote:
there’s no way to get evidence under a regime that grants presumptive civil rights.
Nope no way at all. He covered his tracks. There was nothing to link him to the crime.
JasonL wrote:
It’s not annoying it’s laughable.
You're funny.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Aug 2018, 16:45

Number 6 wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 22:07
Warren wrote:
Aresen wrote:
nicole wrote:
Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:
huh
You're a great guy, Warren. But we're going to have to send you to the camps.
Team 6.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Aug 2018, 16:57

IANAL, but it seems to me that there are several courts with jurisdiction over Lower Manhattan, including those at the federal level if the suspect is a foreign national. And as Warren intimated, I wouldn't want to be the guy defending the idea that the evidentiary standard for rolling up on a guy is lower than the one for hauling him into court. At least not if I were making the case that civilization is preferable to ape-tribe vengeance squads.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 19 Aug 2018, 18:13

Evidentiary standards are higher for people who are not blatantly bad-faith actors who have rejected the values civilization, like someone who shoots at the cops when they come with a warrant. If you won't come peacefully to court, you can't argue that you never got the benefit of a lawyer.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Aug 2018, 18:28

OFFS. You would get what you want - no international actors ever harmed by barbaric US administrations. It is a version of the moral high ground.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Aug 2018, 18:38

I totally see how the philosophy over why it was wrong for our government to kill OBL is sound and holds together. But I'm still just like "okay but in this one case fuck that guy." I never claimed MY philosophy was sound and held together :lol:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Aug 2018, 18:38

There are things that may be unnecessary and unavoidable but should still bother us. I see the Bin Laden raid as falling into that category. The least bad and necessary option should be exercised, but it should be exercised with qualms. Deadly force is serious stuff.

That said, the Bin Laden raid was probably the least bad thing done in the entire history of the GWOT. If the only thing done in response to 9/11 had been a deadly raid on the guy who ordered the attack, I'd be way less upset about the GWOT. My take on it would be "Look, I really wish they had done that differently, but it was a remarkably restrained thing, all in all." Conversely, if the Bin Laden raid had resulted in a capture and trial, the GWOT would still be a travesty because of everything else.

Most importantly, we're nearly 17 years past 9/11 and US military recruiters are about to start reaching out to high school kids who were born after 9/11. Some of them will wind up in Afghanistan. Many of them will get out after several years of service and there will still be US troops in Afghanistan. That arguably sums up everything about the GWOT.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Aug 2018, 20:07

You get full blown due process of the sort most people here think of when the phrase is used if you're a U.S. citizen inside the U.S.. You still get due process, but less process is due if you're not a U.S. citizen or not in the U.S. legally. In broad brush strokes, you get full due process if you're a U.S. citizen outside the U.S., but if you've done something like constructively renouncing that citizenship by taking up arms against the U.S. in some formerly C.I.A. funded terrorist training camp, your due process probably doesn't amount to much more than notifying next of kin. If you're a non-U.S. citizen outside the U.S. and there has been some quasi-judicial determination that you're an enemy combatant / terrorist you have probably already had more legal process than you are Constitutionally due.

The point being that minimal due process is pretty friggin' minimal. "Notice and an opportunity to be heard" is the usual catch phrase, but I don't think Bin Laden needed any more notice or any more opportunity to be heard than he got.

Ending the Forever War On Terror would be bad business. The Police States of America need at least some sort of excuse to keep buying ammo.

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Aug 2018, 07:39

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 04:47
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:

Military theater? I don't remember that term of art appearing in the constitution. There was something about congress having the power to declare war. Was war declared? By congress?
Even the most narrow reading of the AUMF would count as Congressional backing for icing OBL.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Aug 2018, 15:30

WARNING WARNING WARNING EXTREMELY NSFW

This was an ad on an, um, adult site I was browsing. How is this doing it for anyone, anywhere, EVER?

http://ads-a.juicyads.com/ads//user4239 ... 178689.gif
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Aug 2018, 17:13

Ellie wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 15:30
WARNING WARNING WARNING EXTREMELY NSFW

This was an ad on an, um, adult site I was browsing. How is this doing it for anyone, anywhere, EVER?

http://ads-a.juicyads.com/ads//user4239 ... 178689.gif
Oh blech yeesh. Yeah that's awful. Those sunglasses ruin the whole scene. ;)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Aug 2018, 18:04

I almost posted this in the orange president thread, but I daresay it works better in this one: I don't get why Trump has been so unbelievably petty about lowering the flag for McCain. For far longer than I've been alive, it's been bog-standard bipartisan courtesy that when someone like him dies, lower the US flags for awhile to show respect and yadda yadda. (Yes, you can make a "that's hypocritical" argument, but a certain level of hypocrisy and polite dissembling is necessary to keep the gears of civilization greased.) Specifically what I don't understand about Trump's mindset is, it costs him nothing to lower the flag, and he GAINS nothing by refusing to do so (until the American Legion and others finally convinced him of it) -- seriously, what the fuck is he thinking? Everything he does, he does because he expects to personally benefit by it somehow -- what was the benefit he hoped to get by being so petty here?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b