Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2018, 16:20

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 15:30
Highway wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 07:06
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 21:23
Well, vocal fry isn't an incredibly healthy way to talk. Over the long run it can damage your voice, which is why classical singers try not to use it despite it getting you deeper into your low register.
What kind of damage are we talking about? Because checking online, I'm seeing everything from "traumatic lesions!" to "no real effects unless you, maybe, shout a lot while using it".
The damage could be anywhere in that range, because everyone's susceptibility is different. Some people are very resilient, other people are more likely to develop problems.
How many "other people" are actually going to suffer problems, and how bad will they be? Because this vagueness sounds like a scare extrapolated from "singers shouldn't sing in this register" to "ZOMG talking at a normal volume in that register will ruin your voice!"
Is there any case you can point to? I'm thinking of Louis Armstrong. I don't know if his gravely voice is technically creaky voice, but he lived to a ripe old age and his voice only got sweeter.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Re: I just don't get it

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2018, 16:25

FTR I have vocal fry every morning until about 10 and longer if I drank the drinks in the previous evening.

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Jun 2018, 16:34

Is there any kind of scare? I thought it was just Jadagul observing that it's not particularly healthy. And it's one of those things if you try to do it, you can tell that you are doing something with your vocal cords. I figure physically, it's a similar case to singers screaming. Maybe it sounds like you want it to, but it might have consequences. I think the more "social" issue is that it is something that women do more frequently, and it affects the perception others have about them (that they are less assertive, or less capable, and thus aren't hired).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Jun 2018, 18:05

So is it that-chick-from-Chasing-Amy syndrome?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Jun 2018, 18:22

I'm pretty sure I don't use creaky voice for work stuff, at least not 90% of the time. I do use it but it's like, if I'm making a joke that requires a certain kind of voice or something. I use it for emphasis I guess. It's not my actual Serious Work Speaking Voice like it allegedly is for a lot of women.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jun 2018, 18:25

Highway wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 16:34
Is there any kind of scare? I thought it was just Jadagul observing that it's not particularly healthy.
Yes, it comes up in every other article on it, something mentioned in the very article we were talking about.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Jun 2018, 18:26

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2018, 20:21

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 18:26
[Doug Stanhope Video]
HA! That's good Stanhope.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 Jun 2018, 12:57

The entity that calls itself Tony and lives in this kid's finger also suffers from vocal fry.

"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 13 Aug 2018, 13:43

So am I the only person in the world who finds Sacha Baron Cohen's shtick repetitive, stupid, and neither funny nor enlightening? I feel like it, sometimes.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Aug 2018, 13:48

JD wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 13:43
So am I the only person in the world who finds Sacha Baron Cohen's shtick repetitive, stupid, and neither funny nor enlightening? I feel like it, sometimes.
Team JD.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Aug 2018, 15:32

Ellie wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 13:48
JD wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 13:43
Team JD.
I'll also add unfair and mean - yes sometimes to people who may deserve it, but still. It's an ambush to make people look stupid when you hold all the cards.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Aug 2018, 15:52

I enjoy the scenes where he goes after bigoted politicos, but the ordinary-people segments are cringe-inducing at best. There was one particularly facepalmy scene in one of the earliest episodes of this season -- Cohen was playing the "ridiculously lefty left-winger," at the home of an older couple who I guess were Trumpists? And of course Cohen behaved like an utter parody of an insane lefty -- among other things, he bragged how, in order to teach his children gender equality, he forced his son to sit when he peed, and forced his daughter to stand when she did. And enforced this with cameras in the bathroom. And -- I guess the audience was supposed to think the Trumpster hosts were idiots, or something? Whereas I spent that segment genuinely impressed by the hosts' politeness and hospitality; had some asshole been saying such things in my house, I highly doubt I would've been even REMOTELY as polite and gracious as Cohen's hosts were.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Aug 2018, 15:54

He was funny as Ali G but not since.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Aug 2018, 15:55

Right. Even the politicos and whatnot who say things I hate and are otherwise bad people - the treatment is still unfair and tends to make me sympathetic. The way the humor works is an appealing to very base instincts.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Aug 2018, 17:09

Never funny
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Aug 2018, 22:56

I like that he tortures assholes but I'm not going to watch it.

The old Ali G segment where he argues about the street value of drugs with some cop is funny. As is the intro sequence of the otherwise very unfunny Ali G movie.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Aug 2018, 09:21

dhex wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 22:56
I like that he tortures assholes but I'm not going to watch it.

The old Ali G segment where he argues about the street value of drugs with some cop is funny. As is the intro sequence of the otherwise very unfunny Ali G movie.
Team dhex.

"Which is the drugs that makes you fly?"
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 16 Aug 2018, 11:09

There were actually some funny bits in Bruno, but most of them were not of the "put strangers in a bizarre situation" shtick. I did laugh when he snapped at the cop, "What does it look like, Paul Blart?" But the "gay lovers chained up in a hotel room" bit with the hotel manager just did not work, because: you're going to call the hotel manager to help unlock you? You have an entire film crew standing right there!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Aug 2018, 13:22

Part of the problem with that kind of schtick is how much is edited out. Many of those interviews likely lasted far longer but it all gets cut down to a few minutes of stuff. So the person interviewed might actually have acquitted themselves well for the most part but they edit it down to the "funny" stuff that makes them look foolish. Throw in any political bias and it likely get worse.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Aug 2018, 17:13

Rick Mercer is a Canadian leftist comedian whose primary schtick was "Talking to Americans" where he would ambush ordinary Americans to show how ignorant they were (usually of Canada). I hated the schtick both because it played into a popular Canadian Leftist prejudice and you absolutely know that the comments from people who made intelligent responses got edited out.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Aug 2018, 21:48

Am I reading things wrong or are the mentions of McRaven's part in the bin Laden raid being cited as something in his favor?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Aug 2018, 22:06

People, Americsn people at least, generally like that Bin Laden got 187'd. And everyone involved is the war hero people need.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Aug 2018, 22:23

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Aug 2018, 06:42

Ventilating bin laden is not ever going to be seen as a negative. Cause I mean cmon fuck that guy.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch