I just don't get it

Andrew

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Andrew » 16 Dec 2017, 12:50

Most commercial beets are made of sad. Beets fresh from a garden are delicious.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Dec 2017, 12:56

Andrew wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 12:50
Most commercial [produce product] are made of sad. [Product] fresh from a garden are delicious.
True yes?
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Dec 2017, 13:18

Warren wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 12:56
Andrew wrote:
Most commercial [produce product] are made of sad. [Product] fresh from a garden are delicious.
True yes?
Yes, but some items have bigger disparities than others. The gala apples I get at the store might not be as good as some from a small home orchard, but they're still pretty good. The lettuce, spinach, and carrots from my parents' garden are much better than the store bought, but the store bought isn't terrible. Beets and tomatoes, however, have a vast gulf between commercial and garden.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Dec 2017, 13:27

Tomatoes out of season are a crime.

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Dec 2017, 13:56

Andrew wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 13:18
Warren wrote:
Andrew wrote:
True yes?
Yes, but some items have bigger disparities than others. The gala apples I get at the store might not be as good as some from a small home orchard, but they're still pretty good. The lettuce, spinach, and carrots from my parents' garden are much better than the store bought, but the store bought isn't terrible. Beets and tomatoes, however, have a vast gulf between commercial and garden.
Apple storage is one of those things that they have completely solved with cold and controlled-atmosphere storage, especially with hardier varieties like Galas. Even year-old apples are still high quality with the right storage.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Dec 2017, 14:13

Andrew wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 13:18
Warren wrote:
Andrew wrote:
True yes?
I accept this as a friendly amendment.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Dec 2017, 23:20

The end of the Red Delicious reign of terror is the best thing to ever happen to apples. Snapdragons are my new apple of choice. Honeycrisp awesomeness at Pink Lady prices.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 17 Dec 2017, 07:24

Mo wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 23:20
The end of the Red Delicious reign of terror is the best thing to ever happen to apples. Snapdragons are my new apple of choice. Honeycrisp awesomeness at Pink Lady prices.
As a kid, I hated apples. The options seemed to be Red Delicious from the store or McIntosh, Yellow Transparent, and Granny Smith from the family orchard. Between having my palate change and having 10-15 good varieties available at the store, apples are awesome now. It's a good example of Boudreaux's prosperity pool.

Also, there's apparently a cultivar called the Crimson King.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Dec 2017, 12:15

Speaking of, I heard a snippet of some hip hop track that sampled “21st Century Schizoid Man” the other day.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Dec 2017, 12:17

Power by Kanye?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Dec 2017, 12:33

I have given every drop of information I have on the subject. Well it wasn’t Wu Tang or A Tribe Called Quest, but that doesn’t really narrow it down, much.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Dec 2017, 13:01

Something I've noticed for awhile now: last night Jeff and I ran various errands, including a store next to a "Lighting outlet center" we browsed through. There were all sorts of VERY nice (and expensive) lamps and lighting setups there, including every type and size of crystal chandelier you can imagine. Those chandeliers were made of very high-quality crystal -- you could see how it grabbed the remnants of the day's sunlight and broke it into rainbows -- but for all of those super-expensive crystal chandeliers, the guy had them outfitted with LED bulbs. I've noticed this before -- crystal chandeliers seem to be de rigueur decor for the Chinese/sushi buffets around here, and most of THEM have LED bulbs.

But the thing is, the whole point of having such a chandelier made of crystal (as opposed to glass, or even molded plastic), is that crystal is prismatic, breaking full-spectrum light into rainbows. Outfit one of those chandeliers with incandescent bulbs and they'll toss rainbows everywhere. But LEDs don't have full spectrums, and cannot be broken by prisms. If you're only going to have LED bulbs in your chandelier, why bother with the added expense and weight of making the chandelier's prisms out of lead crystal? Or, conversely, if you're spending all that money for a chandelier made of by-Zod crystal, why the hell would you then outfit it with LED bulbs that do not take advantage of crystal's prismatic effect?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 17 Dec 2017, 16:00

lunchstealer wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 12:15
Speaking of, I heard a snippet of some hip hop track that sampled “21st Century Schizoid Man” the other day.
Mo wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 12:17
Power by Kanye?
Yep, that's it. And it caused Fripp to sue UMG, stop all musical work, and claim he was going into retirement.

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Dec 2017, 19:54

LEDs have pretty good spectrum coverage. Here's a comparison of a Philips incandescent vs. a Philips A19 LED.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Dec 2017, 20:00

The LED I saw in those expensive chandeliers in the lighting store -- and in certain Chinese buffet-restaurant lobbies -- have no spectrum at all (or at least not enough for the crystals to have any prismatic/rainbow effects when the light shines through them). Instead of white/yellow light turning into rainbows when viewed through the prisms, it remains white or yellow light. Kind of like the one year I tried LED Christmas lights -- look at them through those rainbow-prism glasses, and you get no rainbows or prisms at all.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2017, 20:06

Mo wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 19:54
LEDs have pretty good spectrum coverage. Here's a comparison of a Philips incandescent vs. a Philips A19 LED.

Is there an article that goes along with those graphs? I don't understand how they spread it out like that.

EDIT
I think I found it. They're using phosphor.

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Dec 2017, 20:40

Click the charts.

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Dec 2017, 20:58

I think it's probably incorrect to think that they're using leaded crystal for those chandeliers, especially ones in chinese buffets. Isn't it far more likely that it's acrylic?

And LED is just too efficient to pass up. I was seeing articles 2 years ago that switching to LED lighting at the time was giving a 18-month return on investment time frames.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2017, 21:09

Highway wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 20:58
I think it's probably incorrect to think that they're using leaded crystal for those chandeliers, especially ones in chinese buffets. Isn't it far more likely that it's acrylic?

And LED is just too efficient to pass up. I was seeing articles 2 years ago that switching to LED lighting at the time was giving a 18-month return on investment time frames.
I resisted making the move to LEDs in the home till this year. The price is down and the spectrum has brightened. I might notice a difference between LED and incandescent side by side, but not simply from the light emanating from the lamp/fixture. The lack of flicker is noticeable and exceedingly welcome.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Dec 2017, 22:01

Highway wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 20:58
Regarding the buffet where I first noticed this some weeks ago: originally I thought it was acrylic too (especially since the LEDs are the color-changing kind), until one afternoon we chanced to go there in the afternoon rather than after dark, so for the first time I saw the chandelier when it was between me and actual sunlight. I had several crystals -- actual lead or silver-crystal prisms of the sort sold specifically to catch sunlight and turn it into pretty rainbows -- hanging or otherwise displayed in various windows in my previous two apartments, so I definitely recognize the prismatic effect of crystal as opposed to cut glass or other transparent materials: even on gray overcast days, when you looked through the crystal (as opposed to through the window behind it) the rainbow distortion of the light was very noticeable.

Plus, the lighting outlet center, for all its super-expensive crystal and stained glass an etc. offerings, also had some relatively inexpensive cut-glass or plastic/acrylic prism lamps -- very nice for what they were, but also very obviously not crystal.

(I know it's possible to make science-class prisms out of acrylic or glass -- I had one from Edmund Scientific when I was a kid -- but in order to catch and break up the light they had to be cut at certain just-so angles which are not used in dangling decorative lamp or chandelier-type prisms.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Dec 2017, 22:24

Andrew wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 16:00
lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:
Power by Kanye?
Yep, that's it. And it caused Fripp to sue UMG, stop all musical work, and claim he was going into retirement.
What a whiny bitch.

If black people had invented cover songs in the 70s, they'd be illegal...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Dec 2017, 22:39

Eric the .5b wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 22:24
Andrew wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 16:00
lunchstealer wrote:
Mo wrote:
Power by Kanye?
What a whiny bitch.

They did make unapproved sampling illegal by taking Biz Markie* to court. UMG bought a bunch of independent labels and owns King Crimson's song rights.

*I hope that his reaction was, "I walked into and heard the decision, 'Oh snap,' guess what I saw."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Dec 2017, 23:18

Mo wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 22:39
Eric the .5b wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 22:24
What a whiny bitch.

They did make unapproved sampling illegal by taking Biz Markie* to court. UMG bought a bunch of independent labels and owns King Crimson's song rights.
That's why I'm saying that, yes.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Dec 2017, 14:52

Today the outdoor temperature is in the mid-50s, and it's raining. Yesterday the temperature was also in the 50s but it did not rain; instead, it was something like 98 percent humidity (per Weather-dot-com) with a dew point one degree lower than the current temperature when I checked just before Jeff left for work last night. As usual for us in our current top-floor apartment, we did not have any heat on, and even had a couple windows open a bit because otherwise our unheated apartment was actually too warm for comfort.

Also yesterday, I washed and rinsed out several empty plastic one-liter bottles which originally held the club soda Jeff buys (after our Hurricane Irma near-miss a couple months back, I'm still going through the process of amassing enough bottles to store a 14-day supply of ice/drinking water, just in case), then arranged them on the drying rack. Of course, I've washed and saved many batches of these bottles before; since the water drops left inside the bottles can't be towel-dried but can only evaporate, it usually takes up to two days before the bottles are completely dried out, so I can cap them and add them to the "lightweight but bulky bottle" bag.

But this time, I washed the bottles early yesterday afternoon, and by yesterday evening they were almost completely dry. By late last night/early this morning, all of them were dry and in the bag.

I have never had empty water bottles evaporate dry so quickly before -- and yesterday was 98 percent humidity outside, and inside my apartment the heat was off and some windows were open a little. I just don't get how yesterday, of all days, is the day I shattered all personal previous "time required for the insides of those club soda bottles to dry out" records. Seems like it should have taken longer than usual, for every last drop of water to evaporate out through the narrow little necks of those bottles.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 26 Dec 2017, 17:11

Jennifer wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 14:52
As usual for us in our current top-floor apartment, we did not have any heat on, and even had a couple windows open a bit because otherwise our unheated apartment was actually too warm for comfort.

I just don't get how yesterday, of all days, is the day I shattered all personal previous "time required for the insides of those club soda bottles to dry out" records.
Air movement due to open windows? That'd be my only guess.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie