Post by Warren » 14 Jul 2017, 17:15

Dangerman wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 15:55
Warren wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 15:44
Dangerman wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 14:37
re: boxing

If your jaw is broken by a punch, it's safe to say that there was brain rattle.
Nope. Your jaw is the crumple zone protecting your brain in that case. Padding the hand saves the jaw and rattles the brain.
lol ok Warren.
Honey, you shouldn't.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

dead_elvis

Re: I just don't get it

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Jul 2017, 17:26

thoreau wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 15:53
Citation needed.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Sounds like a job for Mythbusters. (over dramatic announcer voice) Tyson vs. Buster, The Rumble in the Laboratory.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Jul 2017, 20:47

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 15:47
Sandy wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 15:20
IANAEE (Warren is, maybe he can weigh in), but this seems odd to me:

http://wjla.com/news/nation-world/teen- ... ing-a-bath
Madison Coe reached for her cell phone from the bathtub while it was plugged into a charger in her father's Lovington, N.M. bathroom.
"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that's what had happened," her grandma told KCBD.
I thought the only way you could electrocute yourself these days was with a high amp appliance like a toaster, and even then it had to be a really old one that didn't have a built-in fuse. A charger should have a fuse that blows way before enough current gets through to electrocute a person, I would think.
If, somehow, full 120 was getting through the charger, it's possible that you could zap yourself that way. However, the phone itself would be fried, and possibly the Li-ion battery would've blown, too. I wouldn't try to use a charging phone from the tub, but more because I wouldn't want to get water into a live charging port because of what it would do to the phone. I guess that could cause a short that would burn enough circuitry in the charger that 120 could get through, but it seems unlikely. I suppose that chargers might not have internal fuses, relying on the fact that it's a AC-to-DC adapter going to low voltage.

Dunno. IANAEE, but I would be skeptical without more details.

Extension cord from an un-GFCI and un-grounded plug to what looks like a higher-power charger for a tablet, going into a USB cable with frayed wiring.

WARNING: Auto-play video with sound:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/35890178/pol ... in-bathtub
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2017, 12:33

lunchstealer wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 20:47
lunchstealer wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 15:47
Sandy wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 15:20
IANAEE (Warren is, maybe he can weigh in), but this seems odd to me:

http://wjla.com/news/nation-world/teen- ... ing-a-bath
Madison Coe reached for her cell phone from the bathtub while it was plugged into a charger in her father's Lovington, N.M. bathroom.
"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that's what had happened," her grandma told KCBD.
I thought the only way you could electrocute yourself these days was with a high amp appliance like a toaster, and even then it had to be a really old one that didn't have a built-in fuse. A charger should have a fuse that blows way before enough current gets through to electrocute a person, I would think.
If, somehow, full 120 was getting through the charger, it's possible that you could zap yourself that way. However, the phone itself would be fried, and possibly the Li-ion battery would've blown, too. I wouldn't try to use a charging phone from the tub, but more because I wouldn't want to get water into a live charging port because of what it would do to the phone. I guess that could cause a short that would burn enough circuitry in the charger that 120 could get through, but it seems unlikely. I suppose that chargers might not have internal fuses, relying on the fact that it's a AC-to-DC adapter going to low voltage.

Dunno. IANAEE, but I would be skeptical without more details.

Extension cord from an un-GFCI and un-grounded plug to what looks like a higher-power charger for a tablet, going into a USB cable with frayed wiring.

WARNING: Auto-play video with sound:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/35890178/pol ... in-bathtub
Evidence shows she touched the frayed extension cord while she was in the bathtub, which had water in it.
BINGO!
She touched hot exposed wire from the extension cord while submersed in water.
Cell phone and charger don't enter into it save that is what the extension cord was there for.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Aug 2017, 13:01

Just so I'm clear, responding to a text with just an emoji means "I'm done with this conversation and I've always secretly hated you", right?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Aug 2017, 13:07

Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 13:01
Just so I'm clear, responding to a text with just an emoji means "I'm done with this conversation and I've always secretly hated you", right?
🍆💦💦
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Aug 2017, 01:59

Lularoe. Like, at all.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Aug 2017, 07:33

Ellie wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 01:59
Lularoe. Like, at all.
Hahaha yeah 100% do not get.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Aug 2017, 07:37

Now I gotta look it up, and so someone decided "Zubaz pants were so cool, we need skirts like that!"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Aug 2017, 07:49

And also you can only buy them via Tupperware parties.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Aug 2017, 08:18

Why was mlm zubaz not a thing?

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 11 Aug 2017, 09:25

Sandy wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 13:07
Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 13:01
🍆💦💦

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Aug 2017, 09:25

Hahaha why would you want that to have been a thing

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Aug 2017, 09:33

The parties would have been amazing. All your gym bros sending invites to just hang out and have some beers during RAW. But then you get there and BAM the new flaming pattern seasonal zubaz have arrived.

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Aug 2017, 10:21

yeah i mean i'm mentally pleased by the concept.

holy shit lularoe is fucking ugly shit. i know we're entering a slightly maximalist print thing at this point but c'm-thefuck-'on
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Aug 2017, 10:56

it's bad in all possible dimensions from what i can tell

name
prints
business model
marketing language ("bless lives and strengthen families," ugh)

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Aug 2017, 11:00

dhex wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 10:21
yeah i mean i'm mentally pleased by the concept.

holy shit lularoe is fucking ugly shit. i know we're entering a slightly maximalist print thing at this point but c'm-thefuck-'on
Lularoe looks like it was inspired by Technicolor and dazzle camoflauge.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Aug 2017, 11:06

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 13:28
Boxing.

Just... can't wrap my head around the appeal.
You don't find the prospect of watching two ignorant, usually poor men trying to render each other unconscious for the entertainment of others appealing? How odd.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 11 Aug 2017, 11:24

nicole wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 10:56
it's bad in all possible dimensions from what i can tell

name
prints
business model
marketing language ("bless lives and strengthen families," ugh)
I'm still shocked by the continual legitimization of multi-level marketing schemes (Lularoe being one). Amway has a fucking arena in Orlando now, and is also the source of Betsy DeVos's wealth...

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Aug 2017, 11:25

people be stupid

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Aug 2017, 12:21

mrs lunch is all in on that shit.

I get the business model. There's a sort of artificial scarcity to it.

But first, the tupperware parties are only a part of the thing. A lot of sales are done online, marketed via facebook groups and other social media. Because each rep only has a limited supply, if you see something you like, but someone else buys it first, or the size is wrong, you have to go searching through a bunch of other people's stuff in hopes of finding what you're looking for. This is fun to some people. And it seems to be good business. It turns the shopping into a sort of scavenger hunt, perhaps satisfying the foraging instincts of our hunter-gatherer days. And it makes people look at a bunch of small catalogs, which they then might see something else they want, buy it, and then keep looking for that unicorn.

And apparently the clothes are really comfortable or something. Dunno.

But I think if they had a traditional just-go-to-the-company-website-and-buy-it thing, people would go, find what they wanted, and then maybe come back if they specifically thought about wanting more. The artificial scarcity of making you hunt through a bunch of different peoples' inventories to get the thing you want is a kind of gamification. Drives those women NUTS.

It's like comic book geeks hunting for that one thing through dozens of comic book stores.

But for Zubaz.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 11 Aug 2017, 12:23

True, but if a fool and his money are easily parted, how do enough fools with enough money still exist to prop up this tomfoolery?

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 11 Aug 2017, 14:37

Velocity of currency?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Aug 2017, 16:51

Dunno. I'm not sure it's all fools buying in.

I mean, there are people who spend a lot of money shopping for bullshit as a form of recreation. This just happens to be the hip new bullshit for some of those people, and they're willing to spend a lot of money on it because they get legitimate value out of it, and enjoy the experience of hunting for their favorite things, and cooing to their friends about this cool thing they managed to find. And there's enough diversity in the catalogs that you'd pretty rarely run into someone wearing the same outfit even if they were wearing the same 'style' of clothes.

And some of it is legitimately attractive, if the prints aren't too nutso, and it really is comfortable. I actually have a couple of the dude shirts, and they're pretty cromulent for their pricepoint.

But yeah, some of the leggings, especially, hurt the eyes.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Aug 2017, 12:50

Related
Of these second-wave MLMs masquerading as women’s empowerment, LuLaRoe is queen. More than 80,000 women have paid around $5,000 for several boxes of low-cost clothing and worked as much as 80-hour weeks to outfit hundreds of thousands of suburban women in multicolored polyester. But according to a report that studied the business models of 350 MLMs, published on the Federal Trade Commission’s website, 99% of people who join multilevel-marketing companies lose money. Depending on how you look at it, it’s either a brilliant business model or a predatory practice—or a little bit of both.
The minimum order is 30 pieces at a time, and LuLaRoe requires sellers to buy a minimum of 33 pieces a month ($346 in wholesale leggings, for example) to maintain active status. This means that if a retailer sold 30 pairs of leggings a week, it would take them just under three months to make back their initial $5,000. As they also need to use their revenue to restock an additional 33 pieces a month ($1,038 worth of leggings over 11.5 weeks), it would therefore take another month or so of selling 30 pairs of leggings a week to start turning a small profit. (There is a more detailed mathematical breakdown of different business models here.) “Just like anyone starting a new business, there is risk involved and not everyone is guaranteed success,” LuLaRoe CMO Lyon says.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul