I just don't get it

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21908
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Jennifer » 26 Dec 2017, 19:13

Kwix wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 17:11
Jennifer wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 14:52
As usual for us in our current top-floor apartment, we did not have any heat on, and even had a couple windows open a bit because otherwise our unheated apartment was actually too warm for comfort.

I just don't get how yesterday, of all days, is the day I shattered all personal previous "time required for the insides of those club soda bottles to dry out" records.
Air movement due to open windows? That'd be my only guess.
Good guess, but no; the way our apartment is laid out, the kitchen counter where I set up the drying rack is about as far from any windows or drafts as you can get. Unless we deliberately set up and position fans to circulate air (which we have to do when cooking certain items, lest our oversensitive smoke alarm raise a fuss), the air in that section of the apartment is downright stagnant. (Also, I always set up the drying rack in the same place each time I use it; that variable did not change, when I washed the bottles the other day.)

FWIW, Jeff is of the opinion that there's no mystery at all, since damp air outside does not preclude our inside air being parched due to the warm dry air that presumably raises up from the apartments below (and keeps us from turning on our own heat even when the outdoor temperature is at or below freezing). I'd be inclined to go with that theory if it were cold enough for us to keep our own windows closed against the outdoors, but with the windows open you'd think at least some of that outside dampness would make its way to the indoor air. Especially when we don't have fans blowing air out of any windows.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 85
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Tuco » 31 Dec 2017, 08:53

Aliens.

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6345
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Pham Nuwen » 31 Dec 2017, 13:15

Tuco wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 08:53
Aliens.
Image
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5976
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Andrew » 06 Mar 2018, 06:59

Kombucha. I haven't tried it, so maybe I'm missing out, but the number of varieties sold at Sprouts and Whole Foods is staggering.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11855
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Mar 2018, 11:16

Andrew wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 06:59
Kombucha. I haven't tried it, so maybe I'm missing out, but the number of varieties sold at Sprouts and Whole Foods is staggering.
I found it nasty, but that means little.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Dangerman
Posts: 6049
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Dangerman » 06 Mar 2018, 11:26

I like homemade kombucha, which is surprising because you can't avoid noticing that it's fermented mushroom water when the fungus is floating right on top as you pour it off.

I find it refreshing in small quantities to sip on ice as a medicinal or tonic sort of thing. I don't care for the bottled stuff.

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Sandy » 06 Mar 2018, 12:29

Dangerman wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:26
I like homemade kombucha, which is surprising because you can't avoid noticing that it's fermented mushroom water when the fungus is floating right on top as you pour it off.

I find it refreshing in small quantities to sip on ice as a medicinal or tonic sort of thing. I don't care for the bottled stuff.
I get this even less. Just drink tea, or the conquering and colonization of India will have been for nothing.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23619
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Warren » 06 Mar 2018, 12:37

Sandy wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:29
Dangerman wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:26
I like homemade kombucha, which is surprising because you can't avoid noticing that it's fermented mushroom water when the fungus is floating right on top as you pour it off.

I find it refreshing in small quantities to sip on ice as a medicinal or tonic sort of thing. I don't care for the bottled stuff.
I get this even less. Just drink tea, or the conquering and colonization of India will have been for nothing.
You're forgetting about tech support.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22004
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: I just don't get it

Post by JasonL » 06 Mar 2018, 12:41

Chili chicken, lamb korma

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15493
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: I just don't get it

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Mar 2018, 12:46

Don't forget yoga pants.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1362
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Kwix » 06 Mar 2018, 14:29

Dangerman wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:26
I like homemade kombucha, which is surprising because you can't avoid noticing that it's fermented mushroom water when the fungus is floating right on top as you pour it off.
Pendant, it's actually a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast (scoby), not a fungus per se. That said, I like the concept of kombucha much more than the actual flavor. I've never had homemade stuff but I just want something, I dunno, more. More tea like, more sour, more flavor. You know, a shrub, oxymel or something like that.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Dangerman
Posts: 6049
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Dangerman » 06 Mar 2018, 15:24

Pendants and pendulums aside, the homemade stuff is, I assure you, *more*. 😉

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Sandy » 06 Mar 2018, 17:00

Warren wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:37
Sandy wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:29

I get this even less. Just drink tea, or the conquering and colonization of India will have been for nothing.
You're forgetting about tech support.
I'm really not.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13902
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Aresen » 06 Mar 2018, 17:30

"Kombucha" is one of those things that the very name screams 'You won't like this."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23619
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Warren » 06 Mar 2018, 20:00

Sandy wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:00
Warren wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:37
Sandy wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:29

I get this even less. Just drink tea, or the conquering and colonization of India will have been for nothing.
You're forgetting about tech support.
I'm really not.
What about curry?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Sandy » 06 Mar 2018, 22:59

Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:00
Warren wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:37
Sandy wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:29

I get this even less. Just drink tea, or the conquering and colonization of India will have been for nothing.
You're forgetting about tech support.
I'm really not.
What about curry?
We’d have gotten that eventually, because yuppies gotta get into a cuisine.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22477
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Mo » 10 Mar 2018, 20:38

Yeah, but you get the equivalent of this in curry.

Image
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17819
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: I just don't get it

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Mar 2018, 21:25

Warren wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:37
Sandy wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:29
Dangerman wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:26
I like homemade kombucha, which is surprising because you can't avoid noticing that it's fermented mushroom water when the fungus is floating right on top as you pour it off.

I find it refreshing in small quantities to sip on ice as a medicinal or tonic sort of thing. I don't care for the bottled stuff.
I get this even less. Just drink tea, or the conquering and colonization of India will have been for nothing.
You're forgetting about tech support.
... and budget motel management.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23619
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Warren » 10 Mar 2018, 22:17

must be a regional thing
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21908
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Jennifer » 11 May 2018, 15:42

Sarah Braasch. I genuinely don't "get" how the hell you can see someone napping in a college's common area and immediately jump to the conclusion "That-there is a criminal who doesn't belong here," as opposed to "Someone conked out while studying." (I know, I know, racism is a helluva drug -- but surely she's noticed by now that not everyone on her campus is white? She's 43 years old, FFS.)

Apparently this was not the first time she called Yale police to report a black student who had every right to be there, either.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12704
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Highway » 11 May 2018, 16:51

Jennifer wrote:
11 May 2018, 15:42
Sarah Braasch. I genuinely don't "get" how the hell you can see someone napping in a college's common area and immediately jump to the conclusion "That-there is a criminal who doesn't belong here," as opposed to "Someone conked out while studying." (I know, I know, racism is a helluva drug -- but surely she's noticed by now that not everyone on her campus is white? She's 43 years old, FFS.)

Apparently this was not the first time she called Yale police to report a black student who had every right to be there, either.
There's nothing to get. She's a stupid woman who probably felt like she had an axe to grind against that girl. I don't believe for a second there was a "mistake". It's the end of the school year. Braasch has probably seen Siyonbola in that dorm dozens of times. I'm much more leaning towards the idea that it was a malicious act to specifically target Siyonbola.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21908
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Jennifer » 11 May 2018, 17:00

Highway wrote:
11 May 2018, 16:51
Jennifer wrote:
11 May 2018, 15:42
Sarah Braasch. I genuinely don't "get" how the hell you can see someone napping in a college's common area and immediately jump to the conclusion "That-there is a criminal who doesn't belong here," as opposed to "Someone conked out while studying." (I know, I know, racism is a helluva drug -- but surely she's noticed by now that not everyone on her campus is white? She's 43 years old, FFS.)

Apparently this was not the first time she called Yale police to report a black student who had every right to be there, either.
There's nothing to get. She's a stupid woman who probably felt like she had an axe to grind against that girl. I don't believe for a second there was a "mistake". It's the end of the school year. Braasch has probably seen Siyonbola in that dorm dozens of times. I'm much more leaning towards the idea that it was a malicious act to specifically target Siyonbola.
[Sigh] You're probably right. But there's something else I don't get (and given that she already has two engineering degrees AND a law degree AND is a member of the New York bar in addition to being a Ph.D. student at Yale, it's clear that she's not completely stupid) -- how did she think there would be no consequences for her? Especially given that this happened after a week or so wherein every day the news media had yet another infuriating story of someone being harassed for Existing While Black -- does she, like, not know that the internet is an actual thing?

I'm trying to imagine myself in her situation -- assuming it was a matter of "Heh, yeah, I really hate this person, and want to use the cops to mess with them" -- even if I did not have a conscience preventing my doing so, I do at least have a basic sense of self-preservation: "I should not harass someone with a cell phone unless I want the ENTIRE FUCKING INTERNET to see what I'm doing." And given that Braasch has since deleted all her social media accounts -- it's clear she is not happy with the attention she is getting. (I mean, I would never use the cops to annoy someone I dislike -- but if I did, I'd have sense enough to just, like, call the cops WITHOUT first informing that person.)

Does she know that she just destroyed pretty much any chance at any future career for herself, despite her impressive credentials and qualifications? I could maybe-kinda understand if she were only in her late teens or very early 20s -- but she's forty-three fucking years old. This is far beyond the point where one could reasonably hope "Give her time, and maybe she'll outgrow it."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12704
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Highway » 11 May 2018, 17:20

Her 'career' is being a student. It's not practicing engineering. It's not practicing law. It's being a student. Her career is "going back to school". If she was actually trying to get a career, she wouldn't be living in a dorm at Yale with multiple degrees. But I'll bet that this was something that she felt she could play the victim card on and it totally fucking backfired, and now she has to manufacture a new victim card for "being unfairly dogpiled when I was just scared that someone was in my space when they shouldn't be."

I didn't even know the stuff you just said about her until you posted it, but my sympathy could still not be any lower. She might actually face the worst possible thing that she feels could happen to her: She gets pressured out of school. At Yale. I'll call the waaaaaambulance for her.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21908
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Jennifer » 11 May 2018, 17:27

I vaguely remember a discussion we had on the last forum -- IIRC, some woman blogger hated Radley Balko, but it was obvious her hatred was based on very bad information -- basically, she knew he was a "libertarian," she assumed that meant he had all the worst qualities a "libertarian" is alleged to have according to libertarian-haters, but many commenters on her blog pointed out "No, Balko is not like that at all -- he's done really good work, he helped Cory Maye, etc." And the woman actually responded -- in a publicly visible comment thread on her OWN BLOG -- with something like "I don't care; I don't need to be honest about him because it's not like he can help my career anyway."

And I remember -- in this discussion on our forum -- wondering WTF she was thinking: even if she really is callous and dishonorable enough to believe "I will not treat people honestly and honorably unless I'm hoping to get something from them," how the fuck could she be stupid enough to openly SAY this? Did she really not understand "Hey, if I get a reputation for treating people like shit unless I can use them somehow, this could bite me in the ass?"

And I'm feeling similar bafflement now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21908
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2018, 14:05

The story of Aaron Schlossberg (racist lawyer who lost his shit and threatened to call ICE on people he heard speaking Spanish) is another one of those boggle-my-mind issues. (Especially since the website of his soon-to-be-defunct law firm boasts of speaking Spanish, among other languages.) If hearing people speak a language other than English fills you with such rage --- how the hell did you make it this long in Manhattan without working yourself into apoplexy? That's like trying to live in Georgia if you're enraged by the sight of kudzu.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest