I just don't get it

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9851
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: I just don't get it

Post by nicole » 07 Oct 2019, 12:35

When I did work in an office, the commute was my favorite part because at least I was alone in the car.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 4172
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Painboy » 07 Oct 2019, 12:42

JD wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:30
Aresen wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:09
I never wanted to work remotely. Not because I enjoyed going in to the office, but because I am too easily distracted.
Team Aresen.
Same. I'm much more productive at the office than at home.

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18187
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Oct 2019, 12:43

nicole wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:35
When I did work in an office, the commute was my favorite part because at least I was alone in the car.
That gets old when it's three hours a day for three years.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24361
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: I just don't get it

Post by JasonL » 07 Oct 2019, 13:03

a) much more productive in office than at home
b) more importantly to me, bright line between working and not working hours. I go to the place of work, I do the work then I go home and am not at work.
c) I've never had a chair / desk /headset / conference call / monitor situation at home I've liked half as well as I have at work
d) collaboration sometimes needs to happen face to face

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17522
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: I just don't get it

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Oct 2019, 13:52

nicole wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 11:51
Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 10:28
At lunch with a friend yesterday I learned to my horror that there are people who not only not prefer to work remotely, but prefer not to work remotely.
Haha I can't believe it's taken you this long to hear that. More than 50% of people who find out I work remotely are horrified at the idea of doing that themselves. Because they feed on the energy of other humans.
something something Colin Robinson
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17522
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: I just don't get it

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Oct 2019, 13:58

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:43
nicole wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:35
When I did work in an office, the commute was my favorite part because at least I was alone in the car.
That gets old when it's three hours a day for three years.
I hate commutes over twenty minutes. Twenty minutes is fine, more than that sucks.

I work from home mostly by choice (partly by mrs lunch's choice) but it has downsides. I get distracted at the office as much as at home, but with a known end-time I'm somewhat more motivated to make it happen than I am at home. At the office I rarely work past 6 and only occasionally work late or come home and remote in to finish up. Working from home I can end up working extremely irregular hours. I think it's degraded work/life balance* for me pretty badly, even as it's given me some important flexibility in other respects.

And I'm having trouble getting other people trained to take some workload off of me, which is further killing my downtime. So there are big upsides and big downsides. I get people who prefer one, prefer the other, or have no preference.

*sorry, but sometimes buzzwords work
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16104
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Aresen » 07 Oct 2019, 14:12

lunchstealer wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 13:58
I hate commutes over twenty minutes. Twenty minutes is fine, more than that sucks.
I never had a commute longer than 25 minutes. In my last 20 years, my commute was a 25 minute walk to and from the office.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11153
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: I just don't get it

Post by JD » 07 Oct 2019, 14:24

About 60 minutes' commute here. I actually don't mind a bit of a commute, since it's a good in-between time to listen to music, read, study, or whatever, but 60 minutes each way is really straining it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24361
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: I just don't get it

Post by JasonL » 07 Oct 2019, 14:36

I went from 20 to 30 with the move. I notice it but it doesn't suck. I would not want 40+

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17522
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: I just don't get it

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Oct 2019, 14:41

Transit commutes are a different animal than car commutes. Car commutes you're limited to audio-only, so books on tape, radio, music, or podcasts. And I can't concentrate on tricky traffic shit and actually concentrate on audio, so I tend to miss a couple minutes of audio, rendering books on tape and podcasts less coherent. So I tolerate a longer transit commute where I can read or actually focus more on a podcast or audiobook, or check/respond to email or peruse the bookface or the gryll. I can take up to an hour of commute by transit as long as there aren't too many changes, but I really miss my 10 minute bus ride, 15-minute bike ride, or 30 minute walk to work (but the climb from the Platte up to my neighborhood was about a 300' gain in < 2 miles which made the bike ride home a significant effort).
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16089
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: I just don't get it

Post by dhex » 07 Oct 2019, 14:47

nicole wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:35
When I did work in an office, the commute was my favorite part because at least I was alone in the car.
This would be more enjoyable for me if other people weren't trying to murder me all the time with their cars.

Also I've never done a real car commute before and with the bay bridge being nonsense I have days where it's 50min and mornings like today that was 1:45. Compared to a good train car commutes are fucking garbage
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24361
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: I just don't get it

Post by JasonL » 07 Oct 2019, 14:51

Not that much worse than bad train, with no sitting and crowd press and a change or two. I'm not sure the median train experience is at all better than the median driving experience, though the best is much better.

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18187
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Oct 2019, 15:03

My current commute is about an hour door to door with a good train and a short walk. But I would still rather have a 12-second commute from the bathroom to the desk where pants are optional.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27284
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Warren » 07 Oct 2019, 16:33

JD wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:30
Aresen wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:09
I never wanted to work remotely. Not because I enjoyed going in to the office, but because I am too easily distracted.
Team Aresen.
But there are a thousand times as many distractions at work than at home.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 4172
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Painboy » 07 Oct 2019, 16:55

Warren wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 16:33
JD wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:30
Aresen wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:09
I never wanted to work remotely. Not because I enjoyed going in to the office, but because I am too easily distracted.
Team Aresen.
But there are a thousand times as many distractions at work than at home.
Different kind of distractions. Most work things can get blocked easily enough. At home my mind starts wandering over video games or Netflix or other stupid stuff that isn't at work. I'm also less likely to get sucked into a long article or other internet holes when at work. It's very much a habit thing with me. At home I'm used to doing certain things and work doesn't have those as possibilities.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27284
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Warren » 07 Oct 2019, 17:23

Painboy wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 16:55
Warren wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 16:33
JD wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:30
Aresen wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 12:09
I never wanted to work remotely. Not because I enjoyed going in to the office, but because I am too easily distracted.
Team Aresen.
But there are a thousand times as many distractions at work than at home.
Different kind of distractions. Most work things can get blocked easily enough. At home my mind starts wandering over video games or Netflix or other stupid stuff that isn't at work. I'm also less likely to get sucked into a long article or other internet holes when at work. It's very much a habit thing with me. At home I'm used to doing certain things and work doesn't have those as possibilities.
What? NO!
It's easy to put that stuff in a different place than where you are. You can turn off your phone, and become inaccessible to all others. At work you are at your desk where everybody knows where to call, find, PM, and email you and distract you with their shit.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13335
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Highway » 07 Oct 2019, 17:37

Distractions at work by your coworkers are work (as long as it's not someone coming around to shoot the shit, and you can tell that guy to buzz off if you need to). By definition, you're still doing work. They may not be what you intended, but it's still what they're paying you to do (and if it's not something they're pay you to do, then you say "sorry, gotta get this done").

Distractions at home (if I was working at home) would *not* be work. They would be things that I'd either feel obligated to make up time later for, or not bill for.

So the summary answer is that I don't mind distractions at work, because that's what I'm there for. If someone's got a question for me about work, it's about work, and I'm therefore working. Their question might be kind of a pain to deal with, but it's still work. That's not the same as at home.

And I really don't get bothered by interruptions. If I intended to do something, and get interrupted to do something else, then what I was going to do is still going to be there when I'm done with the interruption. In the work I do, there is nothing that doesn't have an acceptable stopping point within a couple minutes, and usually I can just drop something and pick it back up with minimal needing to recalibrate. Sure it'll take a little longer, but I don't find it that hard to get back into what I was doing.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13335
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Highway » 07 Oct 2019, 17:40

And regarding commutes, being able to live 10 minutes from my office is great. At my 'on-site' job downtown, I'm 30 minutes away (more like 45 on the way home including walking to the car). That's a little longer than I'd like, but I get paid for mileage and parking, so it's not terrible. It also gives me a chance to do stuff downtown if I want to (like vocal lessons).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17522
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: I just don't get it

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Oct 2019, 19:25

Highway wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 17:37
Distractions at work by your coworkers are work (as long as it's not someone coming around to shoot the shit, and you can tell that guy to buzz off if you need to). By definition, you're still doing work.
Not if it's open-plan office and jackass two desks away is having super loud conversation on the phone, esp on speaker phone. That can wreck my concentration without me getting even a little work done. If someone is coming to talk to me about work and distracting me from my work, I'm helping the team. If they're just being assholes and breaking my conversation when I don't need to be a part of it, that's just a distraction from work, not actual work.
They may not be what you intended, but it's still what they're paying you to do (and if it's not something they're pay you to do, then you say "sorry, gotta get this done").

Distractions at home (if I was working at home) would *not* be work. They would be things that I'd either feel obligated to make up time later for, or not bill for.

So the summary answer is that I don't mind distractions at work, because that's what I'm there for. If someone's got a question for me about work, it's about work, and I'm therefore working. Their question might be kind of a pain to deal with, but it's still work. That's not the same as at home.

And I really don't get bothered by interruptions. If I intended to do something, and get interrupted to do something else, then what I was going to do is still going to be there when I'm done with the interruption. In the work I do, there is nothing that doesn't have an acceptable stopping point within a couple minutes, and usually I can just drop something and pick it back up with minimal needing to recalibrate. Sure it'll take a little longer, but I don't find it that hard to get back into what I was doing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18187
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Oct 2019, 19:35

The primary tool I use to do my job was offline from lunchtime on today, because it's garbage. We had our Guy looking into it all afternoon, with no success. Had I been at home when that happened I could have put that time to good use like cleaning or hitting the elliptical. Anything better than stress-eating and watching an MST3k while holding down my chair.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13335
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Highway » 07 Oct 2019, 20:31

Open-plan offices are a completely different crime against humanity. I'm hoping they're on their way out, because they're never going to show any of their supposed benefits.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24827
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Mo » 08 Oct 2019, 14:21

They’re on their way out for a different crime against humanity.

Hot desking
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24361
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: I just don't get it

Post by JasonL » 08 Oct 2019, 14:38

We did both - open and hot desk about 2 years ago now.

What's funny is like today I came in at noon after a doc appointment and nobody sat at "my" desk. I have the same neighbors +/- one or two people every single day and so does everyone on my floor. You know what sucks for collaboration face to face? You can't find anyone you want to find.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13335
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Highway » 08 Oct 2019, 14:55

This is where I feel like my company is like Merlin, living backwards through time. We used to have open plan, and they even took it as far as functionally hot desking ("Get to work early, because we only have 60 chairs for 75 employees!"). And then for the last 20 years we've had pods, and that'll stay until a while after we get a new president, and maybe longer because the company is still pretty cheap.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14035
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: I just don't get it

Post by Kolohe » 11 Oct 2019, 11:33

So, I #noshame do like the West Wing, but this is something that baffles even me

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/126- ... 4828_zpid/

And apparently building a copy of the Oval Office in your own home is a not uncommon hobby
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests