RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16085
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Mar 2012, 18:40

fyodor wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Warren wrote:
the innominate one wrote:Zappa is like a god to me.
Zappa was brilliant but flawed.
Hey -- like me!! :lol:
Are you a god?
Hmmmmmmmm, could be.
Fyodor, when someone asks if you are a god, you say YES!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6834
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by fyodor » 15 Mar 2012, 18:49

lunchstealer wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Warren wrote:
the innominate one wrote:Zappa is like a god to me.
Zappa was brilliant but flawed.
Hey -- like me!! :lol:
Are you a god?
Hmmmmmmmm, could be.
Fyodor, when someone asks if you are a god, you say YES!
Maybe I am the god of mystery?
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24618
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by Warren » 15 Mar 2012, 18:57

fyodor wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Kolohe wrote: Are you a god?
Hmmmmmmmm, could be.
Fyodor, when someone asks if you are a god, you say YES!
Maybe I am the god of mystery?
There is only one god. And there is only one prayer for the god of death. Not today.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

User avatar
Stevo Darkly
Posts: 7242
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 19:13

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by Stevo Darkly » 15 Mar 2012, 20:52

fyodor wrote:
Warren wrote:
the innominate one wrote:Zappa is like a god to me.
Zappa was brilliant but flawed.
Hey -- like me!! :lol:
I like to think of myself as flawiant but brilled.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15455
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by dhex » 15 Mar 2012, 21:52

the innominate one wrote:
dhex wrote:
Well hell, that came from "a Paul senior adviser." What do you expect him to say? "Oh, our guy's as corruptible as the next!"?
i kind of expect him to not treat his audience like a buncha flatheads, but my expectations are unrealistic. anyway, if you're running for president you're implicitly reaching for power, even if you're going to nobly...uh...destroy everything?
Not certain if you're completely serious, but I've read this kind of sneering argument from Salon writers. IIRC, it was directed at Rick Perry and therefore justified because 1. Rick Perry deserves to be sneered at and 2. Rick Perry is not in any way a limited government conservative, therefore his claims of such were always suspect. This is not the case for Paul. I don't think Paul's perfect, but he does have small government bona fides and a consistent philosophical stance. If you want to change the system, you have to have power one way or another. You can't stand outside the system and not participate and expect anything to change.

Even if you stand outside the system and convince people by persuasive argumentation to change the system, that necessitates someone inside the system to take power in order to effect change.
i dunno man, i see shit like this
“Negotiating with Ron Paul is very difficult because he doesn’t want anything. If he got the ring, he would throw it into Mount Doom.”
and my used car salesman alarm goes off so hard i gotta punch it and yell damn you used car salesman stop shitting fancy ketchup all over the place.

others have a great tolerance for such tomfoolery. some people listen to air supply in seriousness rather than mirthful contempt (all out of love pitchshifted -50% is actually kinda fun for two minutes, just fyi). all i hear him saying is "our audience is made up of morons and rubes, i know this, but i cannot help myself due to my contempt for them, plus i'll throw in the lord of the rings bit because i know they love that shit", which is oddly enough the soundtrack to everything that comes out of maximumbarackandroll's mouth, too, though with more nods to music than wizard friends.

i'm not sneering. i'm actually up in arms. i'm saying he clearly has taken the term "paultards" to heart. or maybe he thinks that way fer rilla, in which case may god have mercy on his soul or whatever the nonunion mexican equivalent is.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by pistoffnick » 15 Mar 2012, 22:35

We are ALL gods, though I have to laugh at the small size of your hammer.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16085
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Mar 2012, 00:29

fyodor wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Warren wrote:Zappa is like a god to me.
Zappa was brilliant but flawed.
Hey -- like me!! :lol:
Are you a god?
Hmmmmmmmm, could be.
Fyodor, when someone asks if you are a god, you say YES!
Maybe I am the god of mystery?
I have many names
Names of mystery
Names of splendor
Names of shame
I have many names
Some call me Mr. Ra
Others call me Mr. Re
You can call me Mr. Mystery
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24618
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by Warren » 17 Mar 2012, 21:00

What I saw at the Missouri Caucus. The place was over run by swarms of Santorum Fuckwits. Fortunately they're too stupid to put a slate of delegates together and vote in a block. We divided even Santorum and Paul to both the district and state convention. Four years ago the Paul delegates got stiffed by the state GOP. We'll see how it shakes out. I heard there was a riot at one of the caucuses outside St. Louis.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6834
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by fyodor » 18 Mar 2012, 21:44

dhex wrote:

i dunno man, i see shit like this
“Negotiating with Ron Paul is very difficult because he doesn’t want anything. If he got the ring, he would throw it into Mount Doom.”
and my used car salesman alarm goes off so hard i gotta punch it and yell damn you used car salesman stop shitting fancy ketchup all over the place.

others have a great tolerance for such tomfoolery.
It's nice that one of us is not so jaded.

But do you really think this is any worse than what most politicians and their campaign aids say on a daily basis?

I can understand the argument that we should criticize bullshit and be annoyed to hell by it wherever we see it, regardless of whether it's any worse than what we see all the time. And I can understand the argument that we should be more sensitive to bullshit from one of "our own". But I'm not sure if that's how you're looking at it, or if you really think this is especially egregious.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15455
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by dhex » 19 Mar 2012, 10:20

claiming someone running for president doesn't want some measure of power (being overly kind here) is like a porn star claiming to be asexual. it is absurd.

however, that is the ron paul brand. the only way to build outside of the two party system is personality cults, hence the dr. paul stuff and the rigamarole that dude laid down. there's pandering, and then there's that shit.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17926
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Mar 2012, 10:36

Actually, the asexual porn star is far more likely. It's a good bet that being a professional sex worker diminishes libido perhaps to the point of eliminating it. No such luck with politicians and power.

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17926
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Mar 2012, 19:19

Paul calls Secret Service protection "welfare." I didn't bother to watch the clip, but I hope he meant only to include candidates prior to their nomination.

User avatar
GinSlinger
Posts: 3624
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:49
Location: Here today, gone tomorrow

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by GinSlinger » 06 Apr 2012, 09:02

Pre-coffee musing for the day: I wonder if there was a circle around Lord Shaftesbury that insisted on "DOCTOR Locke."

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17926
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Apr 2012, 15:40

American Voices on the Ron Paul video game.

The third comment is priceless.

User avatar
Ayn_Randian
Posts: 10727
Joined: 08 May 2010, 14:58

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by Ayn_Randian » 25 Apr 2012, 16:04

D.A. Ridgely wrote:American Voices on the Ron Paul video game.

The third comment is priceless.
But the second one is pitch-perfect Paulbotism.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by pistoffnick » 26 Apr 2012, 13:58

In a delightful twist, it appears the MN GOP has been taken over by Ron Paul bots.
Usually it is the GOP that does the co-opting.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13490
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by Kolohe » 26 Apr 2012, 15:02

Tony Sutton, resigned after over-spending nearly $2 million the party did not have. The party, it appears, had no checks or balances on its leader.
Actually, it seems like the the Party gave the former leader *too many* checks with not enough balances.
Image

But seriously, reports of the death of the MN GOP is likely greatly exagerated. Money and power will always find each other.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15455
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by dhex » 01 May 2012, 10:39

"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22637
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by JasonL » 01 May 2012, 11:12

Tyler Cowen Wrote: “There were too many times when RP simply piled polemic points on top of each other and stopped making a sequential argument. He overrates the costs of inflation, including in the long term, and for a believer in the market finds it remarkably non-robust in response to bad monetary policy. Still, given that Krugman is a Nobel Laureate in economics, and Paul a gynecologist, the score could have been more lopsided than in fact it was.”

As I commented on MR - This is a perfectly useful summary of RP’s entire career. He raises some valid points but then rushes in with polemic and gold buggery in a way that makes his good points seem kooky. He is too afraid of any level of inflation, and too fond of counter factual narratives in lieu of evidence.

On the other side, PK has an expressed commitment to advocate for increased public spending and an expressed distaste for admitting any nuance that complicates that preferred position. His arguments seem weaker than they should because he’s serving an explicitly political role.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23104
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by Mo » 03 May 2012, 10:00

Am I the only one that thinks that if a "conventional" candidate attempted the same delegate strategy that Paul is engaging in, Ron Paul supporters would be freaking out over thuggish techniques being used to subvert the results of a fair election?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24618
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by Warren » 03 May 2012, 11:21

Mo wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that if a "conventional" candidate attempted the same delegate strategy that Paul is engaging in, Ron Paul supporters would be freaking out over thuggish techniques being used to subvert the results of a fair election?
Oh please, spare me your smugatude. Thugish underhanded techniques are how the sausage is made. As a member of the LP I've been "freaking out" about them for years and years. I've seen my candidates kept off ballots on trumped up technicalities, and two years later major party candidates put on ballots despite being in blatant violation of filing dates. The establishment makes the rules to keep themselves in power, and it applies the rules when and where it serves them. Pulling off the delegate strategy as an outsider is a minor miracle. It requires organization and discipline within your own camp without spooking the establishment enough to make preparations. If your serious about challenging the establishment from within, this is what you must be prepared to do.

BTW
The "conventional" candidates, like Obama, have used this technique to secure the nomination. Paul is just putting more eggs in it.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6834
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by fyodor » 03 May 2012, 11:38

Mo wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that if a "conventional" candidate attempted the same delegate strategy that Paul is engaging in, Ron Paul supporters would be freaking out over thuggish techniques being used to subvert the results of a fair election?
Are you saying that the ills of such politicking is an area of particular interest of Paul supporters? Or are you saying that they would freak out were the strategy employed against Paul?

If it's the former, that would surprise me. I never thought of "ethics in politicking" as a hot button issue for Paul supporters. Are there any prior statements on the subject you could cite? (Not that I could cite something for everything I might assert, but still, it always helps.)

If it's the latter, well that might very well be the case, for at least some segment of Paul supporters, but I say that just because that's human nature and that's politics. I have no reason to think Paul supporters would be any more hypocritical about such a turnabout than the supporters of any other candidate. Do you?
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15455
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by dhex » 03 May 2012, 11:54

i don't think it's smug to assume that very few feel that what's good for the goose, etc etc and so forth.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6834
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by fyodor » 03 May 2012, 12:30

dhex wrote:i don't think it's smug to assume that very few feel that what's good for the goose, etc etc and so forth.
Yeah but that's a general thing*. Why target Paul supporters?

*Once again someone else says what I did but with fewer words.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23104
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by Mo » 03 May 2012, 13:10

fyodor wrote:Yeah but that's a general thing*. Why target Paul supporters?

*Once again someone else says what I did but with fewer words.
Basically because it's a novel* tactic being used by Paul. I'm not saying that Paul supporters are more hypocritical than any X candidate. Though I think the tactic is suspicious and counter-productive in the long run (It opens them up to accusations that he couldn't win in a fair election and had to rely on backroom shenanigans).

dhex has a valid point.

* At least to me.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests