RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Warty

RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by Warty » 18 Sep 2011, 10:47

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/09/17/ ... traw.poll/

It seems he won another meaningless straw poll. This caught my eye, though:
He has gained momentum in the race for the White House in recent weeks, according to the latest CNN/ORC International Poll. Among current GOP candidates, Paul placed third in the poll with 13%, following Romney in second place with 21% and Perry in first with 32%.
13% is HUGE. I know he won't beat Perry, but someone convince me that I shouldn't feel optimism about 13%. I hate optimism.

JasonL

Re: RON PUAL!!!!!!1!!

Post by JasonL » 18 Sep 2011, 12:16

13% with nothing on the line is utterly meaningless. We know what Paul is as a candidate. How many times have we seen this movie?

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Sep 2011, 12:19

I'm waiting to see what he does in NH. Last time around he punted, this time he looks like he's playing to win. I have no idea how well he'll do, but he's already done more than his critics said was possible. Not that it matters. Why let the facts get in the way of smug dismissal?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Sep 2011, 12:29

How low is the bar for "done more" in that sentence? He hasn't done anything. Do we think he's anything close to a credible primary candidate in the sorriest repub field anyone can remember?

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Sep 2011, 14:44

Warty wrote:13% is HUGE. I know he won't beat Perry, but someone convince me that I shouldn't feel optimism about 13%. I hate optimism.
Some dude dropped 26 grand to register enough people for him to get that. Registration is $100 per person, and it's nearly always paid by the candidate, which means that even the most marginal of candidates can purchase a win in any given straw poll. I really, really wish the media would stop pretending straw polls are mini-primaries. They're just a way for the state parties to generate some cash.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Sep 2011, 15:28

JasonL wrote:How low is the bar for "done more" in that sentence? He hasn't done anything. Do we think he's anything close to a credible primary candidate in the sorriest repub field anyone can remember?
Paul serves on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, the Joint Economic Committee, and the House Committee on Financial Services, and is Chairman of the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology, where he has been an outspoken critic of current American foreign and monetary policy.

Who are you backing JasonL? What's in it for you that motivates you to bash Paul? Anyone not supporting either Paul or Johnson is of the problem.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2011, 15:33

Warren is now the Senator Joe McCarthy of grylliade.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Sep 2011, 15:38

Are you now or have you ever been a non-member of the Libertarian Party?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Sep 2011, 15:38

the innominate one wrote:Warren is now the Senator Joe McCarthy of grylliade.
Huh?? I'm not conducting a witch hunt.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2011, 15:41

Warren wrote:Who are you backing JasonL? What's in it for you that motivates you to bash Paul? Anyone not supporting either Paul or Johnson is of the problem.
How could anyone possibly think you were conducting a witch hunt?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Sep 2011, 15:53

I would just like to point out that I have only attended one Libertard party meeting. Just one. It took place in my youth. And it was horrible. There were no women. What's the point of being political if there are no women?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Sep 2011, 15:54

Pham Nuwen wrote:I would just like to point out that I have only attended one Libertard party meeting. Just one. It took place in my youth. And it was horrible. There were no women. What's the point of being political if there are no women?
Unless you're a Republican close-case, that is.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Lost_In_Translation

Post by Lost_In_Translation » 18 Sep 2011, 21:32

While if I had a program to design my perfect candidate (which would look alot like a slightly hispanic version of Obama, but with substance behind rhetoric), I wouldn't pick Paul to represent my views, he's the only thing out there that anyone in the news media is paying attention to (which is a hell of alot better than Paul Ver.08). He doesn't say it the best, but damned if he not a hell of alot closer to the truth than any of the other candidates. Everytime I get the urge to just suck it up and vote for Perry, I see Bush the 3rd and think "Christ, we don't need Iraq 2: Its on in Iran". Romney is "save the seniors, screw the future" and Bachmann just wants to "Pray teh gehy away". So yeah, I'll vote for Paul and watch Obama cruise to round 2, with more runaway spending that I would have no doubt would have happened anyway, just with less tolerance.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Sep 2011, 22:25

I thought we were talking about doing something in a presidential election. I think Paul is fine as a congressman. I think he is harmful as a standard bearer for what liberty looks like as a presidential candidate. Then again, I hate the TP too. There is a degree of fire brandy get rid of the IRS go to the gold standard vibe that I just don't want to see out in front. I like Johnson okay, but the truth is I'm not backing anyone. I'm backing policies that make sense.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 18 Sep 2011, 23:14

Pham Nuwen wrote:I would just like to point out that I have only attended one Libertard party meeting. Just one. It took place in my youth. And it was horrible. There were no women. What's the point of being political if there are no women?
HA!!! I have attended (a small fraction of) one Libertarian Party convention, and I did so specifically to hang out with a couple of hot chicks. Which I did.

Aside from that, though, the experience was a depressing confirmation of the fact that politics is politics, even when the politics is libertarian politics, and politics most of the time is pretty sleazy. And also ridiculous.
Last edited by Stevo Darkly on 18 Sep 2011, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Sep 2011, 23:26

JasonL wrote:I like Johnson okay, but the truth is I'm not backing anyone. I'm backing policies that make sense.
Same here. But due to the decades-long absence thereof, I'm staying out of the whole mess.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 18 Sep 2011, 23:52

LP convention 2014: C-bus, OH. I better see you all there.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Sep 2011, 01:26

Stevo Darkly wrote:
HA!!! I have attended (a small fraction of) one Libertarian Party convention, and I did so specifically to hang out with a couple of hot chicks. Which I did
Braggart.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Sep 2011, 01:43

Ayn_Randian wrote:LP convention 2014: C-bus, OH. I better see you all there.
Why, are you going to need help wrangling all the ferrets?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Shem

Post by Shem » 19 Sep 2011, 06:02

The newsletter affair did a number on my opinion of Ron Paul, and his disingenuous habit of taking earmarks while playing himself up as "Dr. No" makes me roll my eyes every time one of his supporters plays him up as being a fundamentally different creature than his brethren in the Congress. I applaud him when he does something I agree with, but too much of his presidential platform feels less like an attempt to find an honest way to balance competing beliefs in order to increase absolute freedom and more like an attempt to trade the freedoms we've gained over the past six decades for the freedoms some people had during the late 19th century. And, lower taxes and a comparative lack of federal regulations notwithstanding, moving backwards like that seems...well, impossible in a global economy. But even if it were possible, I doubt it would prove all that great for most of us.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 19 Sep 2011, 11:20

Warty wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/09/17/ ... traw.poll/

It seems he won another meaningless straw poll. This caught my eye, though:
He has gained momentum in the race for the White House in recent weeks, according to the latest CNN/ORC International Poll. Among current GOP candidates, Paul placed third in the poll with 13%, following Romney in second place with 21% and Perry in first with 32%.
13% is HUGE. I know he won't beat Perry, but someone convince me that I shouldn't feel optimism about 13%. I hate optimism.
What is it that this optimism is supposed to be about? Paul's candidacy or the advancement of libertarianism? If the former, don't worry, I doubt very, very much he'll ever be more than a fringe niche candidate. If the latter, well, maybe, maybe there's a shred of a cause for optimism there, but let's see some corroborating evidence first.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Warty

Post by Warty » 19 Sep 2011, 13:10

Definitely the latter. If something like 13% of Republicans are actually supporters of him, that's pretty significant.

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Sep 2011, 14:35

Somehow I don't think even THIS is enough to get my mom to vote for Ron Paul.

(The first major performer concert I went to was a Barry Manilow concert, because my mom loved his music.)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Sep 2011, 17:49

Highway wrote:Somehow I don't think even THIS is enough to get my mom to vote for Ron Paul.

(The first major performer concert I went to was a Barry Manilow concert, because my mom loved his music.)
NOOOOOOOOO!!!
I'm going to have to majorly alter my assessment of either Ron Paul or Barry Manilow. Either way I'd find it easier to reconcile the sun undergoing mitosis and growing into a giant flaming chicken embryo in the sky.

EDIT
First breath:
Please call your congresscritter and have him support HR### Which is a bill the will funnel heaps of cash into research and advertising for the disease I have.
Next breath:
I support Ron Paul. “I agree with just about everything he says.”
Ahhhh
Existential crisis averted.
Last edited by Warren on 19 Sep 2011, 17:56, edited 2 times in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 19 Sep 2011, 17:53

Ron Paul gives, and he gives without taking.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.