Fire

tr0g

Fire

Post by tr0g »

So, in the usual twist of fate the universe loves, I spend my summers prepared for hurricanes and tropical storms. We've had a fairly distinct lack of those, so I was complacent. Silly me. Instead, we get fires. The northern half of the county is ablaze, or was.

This sucks, because the prep is completely opposite. Hurricane, it's hide indoors with supplies and wait for it to pass. Fire? Pack up everything valuable and run like hell. Yay.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
fyodor

Re: Fire

Post by fyodor »

Best of luck dealing with that shit!
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

The situation in Texas is terrifying; I'm still hoping a good tropical storm gives you guys a drenching.

You've already got your valuables, important papers and some supplies packed in your car, right? This really is a situation where you need be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.
Last edited by Jennifer on 06 Sep 2011, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

tr0g wrote:Fire? Pack up everything valuable and run like hell. Yay.
It's a simply prop to occupy your time.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Jennifer wrote:The situation in Texas is terrifying; I'm still hoping a good tropical storm gives you guys a drenching.

You've already got your valuables, important papers and some supplies packed in your car, right? This really is a situation where you need be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.
Noooooo! No more tropical storms. My car is currently fucked up from this past storm.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:The situation in Texas is terrifying; I'm still hoping a good tropical storm gives you guys a drenching.

Noooooo! No more tropical storms. My car is currently fucked up from this past storm.
You're not in Texas, though. (Had tropical storm Lee hit Texas instead of places east, everyone would've been a lot happier.)

Just last night, I was reading an article (and looking at the terrifying photo) about the 300+ homes destroyed near Austin, and thinking along the same lines Trog mentioned: a fire would scare me more than any other potential disaster I personally have faced, because every other disaster I've ever faced or prepared for was of the hunker-down variety: if a rain/flooding situation, hunker down in my home (which was always at least on a high floor, if not high ground, and never on the waterfront). Blizzard? Stay home and off the roads, and if the power goes out I already have plenty of blankets and candles. Windstorms? Stay home out of the wind; worst-case scenario, go down to the basement.

Growing up in storm country only a few blocks inland from the Chesapeake Bay, and losing power and water more times than I can recall, I've always kept supplies on hand, and lived in the types of places people evacuate to rather than from in the event of a monster storm. But none of that would do me the damnedest bit of good in the case of a fire.

I hope it doesn't hit your neighborhood, Trog.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
tr0g

Post by tr0g »

Well, the larger fire up in north Montgomery County appears to be mostly under control and moving SW, which means away from me. The smaller (100 acres only!) one is 95% under control, but that one worries the piss out of me since it's literally less than 5 miles from the house. We could see the haze and smoke at the grocery store last night. And 5% is rather more margin than I like.

Much important stuff is packed in go bags, but I think tonight some of the more irreplacable memorabilia will get loaded and moved south for a week or two. If push comes to shove, getting all 5 dogs in the SUV and gone is going to be enough of a challenge without worrying about too much else.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
JD

Post by JD »

Good luck, tr0g...got fingers crossed for you. I'd rather deal with a hurricane than with fire, myself.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote:Good luck, tr0g...got fingers crossed for you. I'd rather deal with a hurricane than with fire, myself.
As one who has done both, agreed on all counts. Fingers crossed.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Lost_In_Translation

Post by Lost_In_Translation »

I was hoping while I was on vacation that Houston would have gotten some rain but it looks like we were headfaked twice. Fucking weather.
tr0g

Post by tr0g »

It sounds weird, but I'm hoping for a nice tropical storm or Cat 1 hurricane. The fire department was out at the huge vacant field across the street from my subdivision earlier today, which doesn't fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling. I'm thinking a Cat 1 hurricane is better than watching the rest of Montgomery County burn.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

tr0g wrote:It sounds weird, but I'm hoping for a nice tropical storm or Cat 1 hurricane. The fire department was out at the huge vacant field across the street from my subdivision earlier today, which doesn't fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling. I'm thinking a Cat 1 hurricane is better than watching the rest of Montgomery County burn.
Dunno, can you blow the flames down to Harris County?

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

So my old summer stomping grounds in Southern Oregon has been on fire. This pic popped up on the Medford news site, this was the first place I walked into a legal commercial business and plunked down cash for weed without fear of getting hassled by the man:
8769ee89-5863-4ef6-95cc-a551c22961af-1008633285photopage5.jpg
8769ee89-5863-4ef6-95cc-a551c22961af-1008633285photopage5.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 486 times
That's just a tip of an iceberg, looks like so much of Talent and Phoenix got wiped off the map. Weird seeing the usual wildfire pics and video but... it's places you know.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Looks like Fireside Dispensary needs to update their name
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Yikes the imagery is pretty heartbreaking.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/us/satel ... index.html

Of course the first thing I see in the before/after is, "Oh, they didn't run any kind of terrain orthorectification on their imagery."

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Hugh Akston wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 14:23 Looks like Fireside Dispensary needs to update their name
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Seriously, though, that's so sad.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 15:31
Hugh Akston wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 14:23 Looks like Fireside Dispensary needs to update their name
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ellie wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 15:32 Seriously, though, that's so sad.
+1 +1
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jake

Post by Jake »

So far, the Oregon cities that have been completely or near-completely destroyed are:

Detroit
Gates
Lyons
Mill City
Phoenix
Talent

And that's just the formally incorporated cities. I don't know how many unincorporated communities we've lost, but it'll be significantly more.

And as of last count, more than 10% of the state's population has had to evacuate their homes.

And I'm not currently at liberty to give details on this item, but there are apparently a horrifying number of bodies being found in the burned areas. The news will come out in the next day or two, I expect, but it's bad. Very bad.
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Shem

Post by Shem »

Washington isn't a whole lot better. We're even getting fires on the I-5 corridor, up in the Seattle-Tacoma area. Several of them. I don't remember that happening in my lifetime. This is happening every other year now, when it used to be this bad maybe once in a decade, if that.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

We're getting smoke from Washington in Victoria this week. The air quality index is in the 'Very High Risk' zone.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

We had a fire come within a half mile of our house when I was in middle school. My mom had us out spraying the roof with the garden hoses in case it turned our way, but I thought that since the woods ended at the far end of the street, it couldn't possibly get all the way to our house. Didn't quite get that once things go full wildfire firestorm, it can jump from house to house easier than tree to tree. I was shocked to see almost treeless neighborhoods completely wiped out, and that the few trees there were often still standing and relatively unscathed relative to the houses all around them burned to the foundations.

Seeing the same thing in the imagery from Phoenix and Talent.

dhex

Post by dhex »

Goddamn be safe everyone
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Be safe, and please remove debris, deadwood, and undergrowth from the firebreaks near you.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

With the smoke in the atmosphere it's quite Blade Runner-like out in my neighborhood right now. Although the picture doesn't quite do it justice.
20200912_102929.jpg
20200912_102929.jpg (4.19 MiB) Viewed 306 times