A thread for mocking politicians

Aresen

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Aresen »

The Dems were playing 'me-too' hardball and Franken got caught by a bounce-back. No sympathy.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Yeah, of all the guys that got me-tooed out of a job, Franken gets least sympathy points.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I guess the poor pitiful Al approach came up short and they decided to switch tactics on his rehabilitation tour.
thoreau wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 13:47
Franken faced dubious allegations and was pressured to resign, both with threats to take away perks (hardly as bad as criminal punishments) and admonitions to do so "for the good of the party." He did so because he's a primate and cares about social ties to his tribe. That doesn't mean his treatment was perfectly fine.
The first allegation was probably a political hit. Notably, Team Blue was perfectly happy with his apology at that point. The women who came out of the woodwork after that, many of them Blues and Blue supporters, including a congressional staffer, changed the equation.

Franken is a grown-ass adult in his late sixties, and his defenders claimed that he just couldn't keep his hands and mouth off women—they kept saying "people", but there sure wasn't anyone talking about him forcing kisses on men or grabbing guy's asses while taking photos with them. They admitted that he had to have a minder around to keep him out of trouble because he's a "tactile person". That's when they weren't claiming that this was perfectly normal New Yorker behavior, or that this writer, actor, and national politician was just a big, socially-clueless goof who didn't know how to behave normally—even when he was repeatedly told by his staffers and at least one other senator that he was being far too "tactile" with women.

And, eh. No longer having the privilege of being one of the most powerful politicians in the country? Having to console himself with being rich and famous and constantly around people who support him and will gratify him by expressing their sadness that he lost power? That's not "hardly as bad" as a criminal punishment, it's absolutely no punishment at all.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Because he's good enough, he's smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like him!

dhex

Post by dhex »

Lol "tactile person".
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dhex wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 17:12
Lol "tactile person".
Yeah, had the same reaction. Also to the claims he was just doing "the New York Kiss", as New Yorkers just innocently do to women they don't know, especially when those women are struggling to pull away.

JD

Post by JD »

Honestly I'm not even that concerned with the "due process" bit - it's a minor add-on - but crowing about exactly how many people have apologized to you is a low-class, self-aggrandizing move.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

If I was going to run against sessions I would just do any recording of Trump calling him names. The ending of the ad would just be sessions pointing out he never ever fought back.

Vile cunt of a man.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Why would you fight back against Trump calling you names? The only way to win that game is not to play.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 10:13
Why would you fight back against Trump calling you names? The only way to win that game is not to play.
Agree. Rolling around in the mud is his game.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I can see that angle but then he praised Trump in his campaign announcement. It all sounds very servile. To me anyway.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 10:46
I can see that angle but then he praised Trump in his campaign announcement. It all sounds very servile. To me anyway.
At the primary level, running an add with Trump's slurs would be useful.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Red politicians are scared shitless of Trump and his base because they believe (not without justification) that Trump is the kingmaker at the moment, so they feel obliged to pay tribute even though there is a 100% chance that he will turn on them. If there were any courage or integrity or intellectual honesty left in the Republican party, they would feed Trump to the impeachment committee and look for a candidate for 2020 that can address the concerns of the populist rabble while expanding the base so as to stave off the imminent death of the party.

Unfortunately, the leader and mascot for Team Red is Cocaine Mitch, a bag of loose skin filled with nonconsecutive $50s.

Sessions should of course start his campaign by stepping in front of an oncoming train.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 12:05
Red politicians are scared shitless of Trump and his base because they believe (not without justification) that Trump is the kingmakerslayer at the moment, so they feel obliged to pay tribute even though there is a 100% chance that he will turn on them.
Not that he's any Jaime Lannister, but he's definitely his own Cersei.

JD

Post by JD »

I assume everybody has seen the bit about Donald Trump Jr. going to Arlington. "I'm moved by the sacrifices so many have made...those who fell at Antietam and Omaha Beach...the valiant soldiers whose names we will never know...the time my dad had to divest some of his businesses..."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JD wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 10:50
I assume everybody has seen the bit about Donald Trump Jr. going to Arlington. "I'm moved by the sacrifices so many have made...those who fell at Antietam and Omaha Beach...the valiant soldiers whose names we will never know...the time my dad had to divest some of his businesses..."
"Half the corporate persons in our unit went under that day, and another five will never fully recover their assets. They survived bankruptcy court, survived divorce court, and survived numerous civil suits, but executive branch conflict of interest laws are a hell that most civilians will never understand."
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

JD

Post by JD »

NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio attacked Domino's pizza for charging $30 a pie to NYE revelers in Times Square.
Jacking up your prices on people trying to celebrate the holidays? Classy, @dominos.

To the thousands who came to Times Square last night to ring in 2020, I’m sorry this corporate chain exploited you — stick it to them by patronizing one of our fantastic LOCAL pizzerias.
(https://twit ter.com/NYCMayor/status/1212427695595905024)

People immediately pointed out he was mockably wrong about pretty much everything. Domino's is a franchise, meaning that the individual restaurants ARE owned by locals. And lots of restaurants raise their prices for NYE. And $30 for a large pie is actually not far off the going rate for a large pie in midtown Manhattan anyway. And, last of all, he linked to the NY Post, a paper which he has claimed to hate and not read.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 09:18
NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio attacked Domino's pizza for charging $30 a pie to NYE revelers in Times Square.
Jacking up your prices on people trying to celebrate the holidays? Classy, @dominos.

To the thousands who came to Times Square last night to ring in 2020, I’m sorry this corporate chain exploited you — stick it to them by patronizing one of our fantastic LOCAL pizzerias.
(https://twit ter.com/NYCMayor/status/1212427695595905024)

People immediately pointed out he was mockably wrong about pretty much everything. Domino's is a franchise, meaning that the individual restaurants ARE owned by locals. And lots of restaurants raise their prices for NYE. And $30 for a large pie is actually not far off the going rate for a large pie in midtown Manhattan anyway. And, last of all, he linked to the NY Post, a paper which he has claimed to hate and not read.
Well if you're the mayor of NYC, you can't start laying the groundwork for your presidential run too early.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

Donald Trump or leftist NYC politician?
(to immigrants) Go back to ______, you go back to ______.
(to constituents) ______ belongs to the people that was here and made ______ what it is. You were here before ______. You were here before others came and decided they wanted to be part of this ______.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

For context,this guy was on the DC city council for almost 30 years, and is *personally* removing his campaign signs (by himself) after losing his election.

(For further context, he had already resigned due to ethics, but briefly tried to jump back in and get his seat back by running in the primary for it)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

Representative Eliot Engel (D - NY) was caught on a hot mic discussing his attendance at a local event on the unrest over police brutality and saying "If I didn't have a primary, I wouldn't care." Really laugh-worthy is his apology, which amounts to "Did I say I didn't care? What I meant to say, was that I care SO MUCH..." even after he actually repeated what he said for the benefit of the guy he was talking to!

Highway

Post by Highway »

Iowa: Hey that vote-by-mail primary that we just did worked great! It really worked out well proactively sending applications to everyone.

Iowa Senate Republicans: Well, we can't let THAT happen again.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."