A thread for mocking politicians

JasonL

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by JasonL » 13 May 2019, 09:56

Yeah that's her game. You can't have it both ways - you can't be "don't let the fear mongers lie to you about tax rates I'm only taxing the super rich and only at a highest marginal tax rate!" and also "we will launch lots of new programs". If you aren't taxing lots of dollars across a broad base you aren't raising revenue to fund stuff.

JD

Post by JD » 13 May 2019, 13:36

Andrew wrote:
12 May 2019, 17:47
This sounds an awful lot like confiscating assets from people she doesn't like:
AOC on twitter wrote:When we say “tax the rich,” we mean nesting-doll yacht rich. For-profit prison rich. Betsy DeVos, student-loan-shark rich.

Trick-the-country-into-war rich. Subsidizing-workforce-w-food-stamps rich.

Because THAT kind of rich is simply not good for society, & it’s like 10 people.
There's no way that could ever go wrong.
Also, if you look at the list of the "like 10" richest Americans (let's choose 15 as "like 10"), none of them have anything to do with for-profit prisons, student loans, or tricking the country into war, so that's just pure ad hominem by attempting to link them with unpopular things. (The "subsidizing workforce with-food-stamps" thing does apply to the Waltons, but it's pretty incoherent for other reasons - among them, if you thought food stamps were subsidizing the billionaires, wouldn't your answer be to slash food stamps?)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 May 2019, 15:38

Who are the billionaires who supposedly tricked the country into going to war? I mean maybe the Bush family, but one of them was kinda the Commander in Chief at the time.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 May 2019, 17:34

Hugh Akston wrote:
13 May 2019, 15:38
Who are the billionaires who supposedly tricked the country into going to war? I mean maybe the Bush family, but one of them was kinda the Commander in Chief at the time.
Blackwater guy, maybe? Or that one billionaire that owns Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics and Boeing and the rest of the Military Industrial Complex?

I mean, she seems dangerously close to the International Jewish Conspiracy or some such bullshit.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 May 2019, 17:45

Hugh Akston wrote:Who are the billionaires who supposedly tricked the country into going to war? I mean maybe the Bush family, but one of them was kinda the Commander in Chief at the time.
Indirectly, you could make a case for the Kochs.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 13 May 2019, 20:09

lunchstealer wrote:
13 May 2019, 17:34
I mean, she seems dangerously close to the International Jewish Conspiracy or some such bullshit.
Oh, she is basically dancing right up to it. There's a strong strain of populist thought that crosses both left and right which holds that all our problems are due to those rich banker and industrialist types, with their warmongering and their slave wages...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 May 2019, 20:17

lunchstealer wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Blackwater guy, maybe? Or that one billionaire that owns Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics and Boeing and the rest of the Military Industrial Complex?

The Military Industrial Complex (TM) does not want yhr US to go to war. The MIC(TM) wants the *threat* of war to sell shiny toys and periodic upgrades. But actual war war means your stuff is actually tested in real conditions, so you can't sell tiger repelling rocks anymore.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 May 2019, 01:40

Kolohe wrote:
13 May 2019, 20:17
lunchstealer wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

The Military Industrial Complex (TM) does not want yhr US to go to war. The MIC(TM) wants the *threat* of war to sell shiny toys and periodic upgrades. But actual war war means your stuff is actually tested in real conditions, so you can't sell tiger repelling rocks anymore.
Yeah but whoever sells MRAPs and Strykers and Hellfires and Tomahawks and Predators does okay when the war happens. The MIC doesn't want us to go to war against anyone who can reasonably shoot back. The only people who came out badly in GWOT are the guys who make the M1 and maybe the HMMV.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 May 2019, 05:17

Whatever the MIC thinks about war, the hype they push about their capabilities encourages politician to get their war on.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 May 2019, 11:43

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 May 2019, 05:17
Whatever the MIC thinks about war, the hype they push about their capabilities encourages politician to get their war on.
The campaign donations help as well.

FWIW, I went to the IMAX at the BC Museum to see "Aircraft Carrier". It was a long commercial for the MIC, especially Northrop-Grumman and Raytheon.

(To balance it out, I also saw "Cuba", a puff piece that never mentioned the government.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 May 2019, 12:33

MIC advertising in the DC area is so ubiquitous, it's mostly just background noise.

(The Amazon/MIC advertising crossovers are notable though)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 May 2019, 19:35

lunchstealer wrote:
14 May 2019, 01:40
The MIC doesn't want us to go to war against anyone who can reasonably shoot back. The only people who came out badly in GWOT are the guys who make the M1
???

Are you talking about the M1 Garand? I thought that went out of service decades ago.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 May 2019, 19:38

thoreau wrote:
14 May 2019, 19:35
lunchstealer wrote:
The MIC doesn't want us to go to war against anyone who can reasonably shoot back. The only people who came out badly in GWOT are the guys who make the M1
???

Are you talking about the M1 Garand? I thought that went out of service decades ago.
He means what Walter Sobchak didn't have.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 May 2019, 19:46

thoreau wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
???

Abrams. The supertank that was supposed to stop the Big Red Machine rolling through the Fulda Gap turned out to be embarrassingly vulnerable to IEDs.

JD

Post by JD » 18 May 2019, 12:52

Bernie Sanders' big idea is to ban for-profit charter schools: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 709607002/

Not-for-profit charter schools will apparently still be allowed to exist...under a set of conditions that basically makes them equivalent to public schools.
“Our school system can no longer put up fences for black and brown children,” Sanders said in an op-ed in the Asheville Citizen-Times.
and also
The NAACP, National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers have also taken aim at charters for intensifying racial segregation in schools, as nearly 1 out of 5 charter schools have a 99% percent minority student body.
"Charter schools are intensifying racial segregation"? Did these geniuses not notice that nobody is forced to go to a charter school? If some charter schools are 99% minority, maybe that's because parents perceive these schools as better choices than the local public schools? But to the Berniecrats, the answer to everything seems to be "if we force everyone to have the same experience, then it will have to be a good experience, right?"

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 May 2019, 13:09

The criticism I always hear (in real life -- I seem to know a lot of anti-charter-school people!) is that charter schools are for racist WHITE people who want to do an end-around on integration, and send their kids to an all-white school.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 18 May 2019, 15:19

I didn't know that the Soviets were going to field regiments of Hells Angels in the European theatre. YLSNED.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 May 2019, 09:53

thoreau wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
???

Sidebar: A local gun shop raffled off a near-mint Garand with 20 clips and a case of ammo last month. I didn't win. :cry:
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 May 2019, 19:48

Erstwhile Gryller PeeJayBee recently posted about his purchase of a restored Garand on the bookfaces. I had a jealous and I'm not even a gun guy, really.