A thread for mocking politicians

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11607
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Ellie » 05 Jul 2018, 01:08

TIL "hashtag" in Spanish is just "hashtag"
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14741
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2018, 01:14

Warren wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 00:16
He ran on an anti-corruption platform. Which yeah, unless you're prepared to allow a legal market in drug trafficking, good luck with that. But if he makes even token publicity gestures at cleaning house, might as well dig his grave now. OTOH maybe his idea of fixing the corruption problem is to put himself at the head of the line.
All true, but I was scoffing at the notion that his loving, worshiping people could protect him from an assassin. As though an assassin would wear a badge on his chest so everyone would know what he was.

TBS, many heads of government have been offed by their own security people. (Indira Gandhi, for example.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24880
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Warren » 05 Jul 2018, 02:14

Aresen wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 01:14
Warren wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 00:16
He ran on an anti-corruption platform. Which yeah, unless you're prepared to allow a legal market in drug trafficking, good luck with that. But if he makes even token publicity gestures at cleaning house, might as well dig his grave now. OTOH maybe his idea of fixing the corruption problem is to put himself at the head of the line.
All true, but I was scoffing at the notion that his loving, worshiping people could protect him from an assassin. As though an assassin would wear a badge on his chest so everyone would know what he was.

TBS, many heads of government have been offed by their own security people. (Indira Gandhi, for example.)
Indeed.
Hard to say if he believes what he's saying. If it wasn't for Trump I don't know that I could credit anyone with enough stupidity to believe something like
“He who fights for justice has nothing to fear,” the president-elect said.
But unfathomably stupid heads of state is the new normal.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 156
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Tuco » 05 Jul 2018, 07:19

AMLO is a fool, but yeah, he'd never have made it this far without making some deal. Part of his platform was ending the war on kingpins that Calderón started, because, hoo boy, that ain't gone well.

Also, he's lying.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23218
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Mo » 07 Jul 2018, 07:54

We need a total and complete shutdown of all wrestling coaches until we can figure this whole thing out.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26516
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by thoreau » 15 Oct 2018, 19:16

I'm sure that getting everyone talking about Elizabeth Warren's Native American ancestry, and the possible political significance thereof, will work out great for Democrats this November. What better thing to discuss before the midterm elections?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1547
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Kwix » 16 Oct 2018, 19:57

thoreau wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 19:16
I'm sure that getting everyone talking about Elizabeth Warren's Native American ancestry, and the possible political significance thereof, will work out great for Democrats this November. What better thing to discuss before the midterm elections?
Might as well because they sure as hell aren't going to touch anything of real significance with a 10 foot pole.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14741
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Aresen » 16 Oct 2018, 20:16

Kwix wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:57
thoreau wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 19:16
I'm sure that getting everyone talking about Elizabeth Warren's Native American ancestry, and the possible political significance thereof, will work out great for Democrats this November. What better thing to discuss before the midterm elections?
Might as well because they sure as hell aren't going to touch anything of real significance with a 10 foot pole.
Or with a 5'8" 1.5625% indian, either.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6814
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Pham Nuwen » 17 Oct 2018, 01:25

Aresen wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 20:16
Kwix wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 19:57
thoreau wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 19:16
I'm sure that getting everyone talking about Elizabeth Warren's Native American ancestry, and the possible political significance thereof, will work out great for Democrats this November. What better thing to discuss before the midterm elections?
Might as well because they sure as hell aren't going to touch anything of real significance with a 10 foot pole.
Or with a 5'8" 1.5625% indian, either.
Native American
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15474
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by dhex » 17 Oct 2018, 08:40

"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23218
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Mo » 17 Oct 2018, 09:24

How many people that are not extremely online or in MA picked that up?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15474
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by dhex » 17 Oct 2018, 09:31

On the maga chud side probably more than a few.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9097
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by nicole » 17 Oct 2018, 09:37

Mo wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 09:24
How many people that are not extremely online or in MA picked that up?
The story overall? I had a work dinner on Monday night with non-online (and non-MA) people and they were all talking about it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23218
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Mo » 17 Oct 2018, 10:11

nicole wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 09:37
Mo wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 09:24
How many people that are not extremely online or in MA picked that up?
The story overall? I had a work dinner on Monday night with non-online (and non-MA) people and they were all talking about it.
Cool. Obviously impossible for me to pick up because I'm over here. I just find that 99% of the things that get people's dander up on Twitter never escape Twitter meaningfully.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11607
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Ellie » 08 Nov 2018, 20:56

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/yw7 ... ess-starts
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the democratic socialist and youngest woman ever elected to Congress, can’t afford to rent an apartment in Washington, D.C. before her job starts in January.

“I have three months without a salary before I’m a member of Congress. So, how do I get an apartment?” Ocasio-Cortez, 29, told the New York Times. “We’re kind of just dealing with the logistics of it day by day, but I’ve really been just kind of squirreling away and then hoping that gets me to January.”

“There are many little ways in which our electoral system isn’t even designed (nor prepared) for working-class people to lead,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “This is one of them (don’t worry btw - we’re working it out!)”
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22889
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Jennifer » 08 Nov 2018, 21:00

A politician who's not fantastically wealthy? Oh, yeah, that's definitely someone worth mocking.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11607
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Ellie » 08 Nov 2018, 21:07

Yes, obviously that's the joke, and not "I want to move somewhere without a salary for three months, omg, how is this a problem????" and "Guys this is such a huge problem in America today (except actually it's already being taken care of)"
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22889
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Jennifer » 08 Nov 2018, 21:11

Where'd you get that from the story? I read the entire thing, and the whole "How can I get an apartment in DC" bit struck me as a rhetorical question: people seem surprised that she's not immediately setting up housekeeping there, but she can't afford it until her Congressional salary kicks in.

EDIT: And the bit about "squirreling it away" and "we're working it out" seemed to be her way of assuring her supporters not to worry that she's going to end up homeless or hungry before January, even though she can't get a DC apartment yet. But -- what am I missing here?
Last edited by Jennifer on 08 Nov 2018, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26516
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by thoreau » 08 Nov 2018, 21:34

I have the perfect roommates for the Democratic Socialist: https://www.theonion.com/marxists-apart ... 1819566655
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14741
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Aresen » 08 Nov 2018, 22:05

Jennifer wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 21:11
Where'd you get that from the story? I read the entire thing, and the whole "How can I get an apartment in DC" bit struck me as a rhetorical question: people seem surprised that she's not immediately setting up housekeeping there, but she can't afford it until her Congressional salary kicks in.

EDIT: And the bit about "squirreling it away" and "we're working it out" seemed to be her way of assuring her supporters not to worry that she's going to end up homeless or hungry before January, even though she can't get a DC apartment yet. But -- what am I missing here?
No, I don't think 'poor Ocasio-Cortez', because she obviously isn't poor. Nor do I think 'dumb Ocasio-Cortez' because she can't figure it out, because she is obviously intelligent.

The problem I have with it is the self-centered 'look at me' millennial attempt at humor.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22889
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Jennifer » 08 Nov 2018, 22:12

Aresen wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 22:05
Jennifer wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 21:11
Where'd you get that from the story? I read the entire thing, and the whole "How can I get an apartment in DC" bit struck me as a rhetorical question: people seem surprised that she's not immediately setting up housekeeping there, but she can't afford it until her Congressional salary kicks in.

EDIT: And the bit about "squirreling it away" and "we're working it out" seemed to be her way of assuring her supporters not to worry that she's going to end up homeless or hungry before January, even though she can't get a DC apartment yet. But -- what am I missing here?
No, I don't think 'poor Ocasio-Cortez', because she obviously isn't poor. Nor do I think 'dumb Ocasio-Cortez' because she can't figure it out, because she is obviously intelligent.

The problem I have with it is the self-centered 'look at me' millennial attempt at humor.
I also don't see the "millennial attempt at humor" in the bit Ellie quoted; I interpreted that whole thing as "No, I can't afford to get an apartment in DC until I start collecting my Congressional salary, and meanwhile, I'm getting by on the money I already have saved up." Where is the attempted humor in that? As for her comment "There are many little ways in which our electoral system isn’t even designed (nor prepared) for working-class people to lead" -- again, yeah, I figured that was a straightforward bit of commentary about how the system works. (IIRC, isn't it illegal for candidates to use donations to pay their own living expenses while campaigning? Which, on one hand, does make sense from an anti-bribery perspective, but on the other hand, it DOES lead to a situation where the only people who can afford to run for office -- a national-level office, not something like "guy running for town council" -- are those who have enough money to go at least several months without working to earn a salary.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14741
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Aresen » 08 Nov 2018, 22:37

Jennifer wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 22:12
Aresen wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 22:05
Jennifer wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 21:11
Where'd you get that from the story? I read the entire thing, and the whole "How can I get an apartment in DC" bit struck me as a rhetorical question: people seem surprised that she's not immediately setting up housekeeping there, but she can't afford it until her Congressional salary kicks in.

EDIT: And the bit about "squirreling it away" and "we're working it out" seemed to be her way of assuring her supporters not to worry that she's going to end up homeless or hungry before January, even though she can't get a DC apartment yet. But -- what am I missing here?
No, I don't think 'poor Ocasio-Cortez', because she obviously isn't poor. Nor do I think 'dumb Ocasio-Cortez' because she can't figure it out, because she is obviously intelligent.

The problem I have with it is the self-centered 'look at me' millennial attempt at humor.
I also don't see the "millennial attempt at humor" in the bit Ellie quoted; I interpreted that whole thing as "No, I can't afford to get an apartment in DC until I start collecting my Congressional salary, and meanwhile, I'm getting by on the money I already have saved up." Where is the attempted humor in that? As for her comment "There are many little ways in which our electoral system isn’t even designed (nor prepared) for working-class people to lead" -- again, yeah, I figured that was a straightforward bit of commentary about how the system works. (IIRC, isn't it illegal for candidates to use donations to pay their own living expenses while campaigning? Which, on one hand, does make sense from an anti-bribery perspective, but on the other hand, it DOES lead to a situation where the only people who can afford to run for office -- a national-level office, not something like "guy running for town council" -- are those who have enough money to go at least several months without working to earn a salary.)
“There are many little ways in which our electoral system isn’t even designed (nor prepared) for working-class people to lead,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “This is one of them (don’t worry btw - we’re working it out!)”
A 'working class person' who can't figure out how to transition for 3 months to a salary of $174,000/yr is too dumb to be allowed into Congress. She isn't stupid, but this is a stupid comment.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22889
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Jennifer » 08 Nov 2018, 22:43

Aresen wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 22:37
A 'working class person' who can't figure out how to transition for 3 months to a salary of $174,000/yr is too dumb to be allowed into Congress. She isn't stupid, but this is a stupid comment.
Huh? She is figuring out "how to transition for 3 months" (she saved money from her bartender job before quitting); she just can't afford to also rent a DC apartment during that time. I still don't see why I'm supposed to feel contemptuous of her because of that.

Also, what was the "millennial attempt at humor" you were complaining about?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11607
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Ellie » 08 Nov 2018, 22:52

If she doesn't want to move to DC before January, then there's no problem, so she has nothing to complain about.

If she wants to move to DC now but doesn't start work until January, this is hardly a problem unique to politics. Are we really failing as a society if we can't subsidize everyone who wants to live in a new city income-free for three months?

Also, if you say "don't worry" and "we're working it out" then you don't get to say oh but also this is a huge problem with the system. If it's a problem then we should be worried. If we're not supposed to worry, nothing is wrong.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6814
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: A thread for mocking politicians

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Nov 2018, 22:56

Isn't she actually rich or something? And not working class? Am I missing something?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests