Insomnia

Ayn_Randian

Re: Insomnia

Post by Ayn_Randian » 28 Mar 2013, 10:43

Ellie wrote:I'm having trouble falling asleep at night, but it seems no matter how long I sleep I wake up tired. I get a sense I'm not sleeping well but don't remember it the next day. (I apparently had a whole conversation with David in the middle of the night a few days ago and have no memory of it). It's just frustrating!
May I suggest melatonin?
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Mar 2013, 10:46

Y'know, a friend gave me some and I haven't gotten around to taking it yet. How long before bed are you supposed to have it?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Mar 2013, 11:31

30 min
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Mar 2013, 11:32

Why did I think it was like 5 hours?

Jake

Post by Jake » 28 Mar 2013, 14:02

Ellie wrote:I'm having trouble falling asleep at night, but it seems no matter how long I sleep I wake up tired. I get a sense I'm not sleeping well but don't remember it the next day. (I apparently had a whole conversation with David in the middle of the night a few days ago and have no memory of it). It's just frustrating!
Do you snore? If so, my money's on sleep apnea. It's dangerous, but treatable. Go see a doctor.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Mar 2013, 14:11

I don't think I snore, and it's a fairly recent development. I'll ask David to check on me though and tell me if I seem to be snoring/struggling to breathe.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Dec 2013, 22:46

ugggghhhhhhhhh insomnia and sleep deficits and fatigue ugggggggghhhh

that is all

Shem

Post by Shem » 04 Dec 2013, 22:55

You ever get checked for sleep apnea?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Dec 2013, 23:02

Haha, no, I had completely forgotten that until I cast Raise Dead on this thread! I will ask a doctor about that.

Shem

Post by Shem » 04 Dec 2013, 23:06

Yeah, if you're repeatedly waking up for no reason, that's one of the most likely reasons.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Dec 2013, 23:10

Definitely get a sleep study done to check for apnea. Treatment is supposed to help with a whole host of health issues (he wrote hypocritically, having not worn his CPAP mask in months).
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Dec 2013, 12:26

Consultation (presumably with sleep study to follow) set for January 23. Thanks for the push, guys. :)

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 16 Dec 2013, 21:03

I'm definitely going to start wearing my CPAP again.

Apnea is supposed to contribute to high blood pressure. CPAP treatment helps not only with that and fatigue, but supposedly can facilitate the ease weight loss, in combination with diet and exercise.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Dec 2016, 01:08

Okay but seriously how can I be so tired and so wide awake at the same time

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 28 Dec 2016, 04:02

Pham Nuwen wrote:Not to brag but my sleep cycle is absolutely rock solid now. I'm in bed by midnight usually and up by 7:30. Am I getting old?
How's that holding up?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Dec 2016, 05:54

Mine is stress induced but I have an 8 hour drive and really would like sleep now.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Dec 2016, 10:40

Who else has CPAP? I need one but the company I was dealing with was a complete fly by night operation. They over billed me and are still trying to collect. Plus it seems I need some super deluxe model BiPAP. The real problem is it starts off gentle and I can get to sleep, but then I wake up two hours later and it's blowing air all over my face and wont stop. And the mask I was using, the straps went over my ears.

Who is happy with their supplier? Do you own your equipment?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 04 Jan 2017, 02:40

Warren wrote:Who else has CPAP?
I use a CPAP, but I'm not sure how much help I'll be, 'cause the VA assigned it to me. It works fine, but it took some trial and error with the straps early on before I found one (it's sort of a head harness, rather than individual straps) that stayed on correctly throughout the night.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Mar 2018, 01:00

Lately I'm having a hard time falling asleep, even though I'm very tired. I just can't quite tip over into sleep. My two crappy solutions are either to eat a bunch and carb-coma myself, which puts me on a blood sugar rollercoaster all night long, or to pop a couple Benadryl, which leaves me very very groggy in the morning.

The carb-coma option is a nice excuse to eat giant bowls of cereal, at least. Yum.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 May 2018, 22:18

How can I be so tired all day and then unable to fall asleep at night? (but still too tired to get up and do anything productive)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 May 2018, 13:30

I've found it much easier to get to sleep once I adopted the habit of ignoring all glowing screens at least half an hour before bedtime, in lieu of reading a book or magazine by the light of an old-fashioned lightbulb. Do you stay on your phone or computer until just before you try to sleep? If so, that might be contributing to or exacerbating the problem.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b