Insomnia

Highway

Re: Insomnia

Post by Highway » 30 Jul 2011, 01:24

The only time I ever signed up for 8 am classes was when it was the only class for the semester. For some reason, Numerical Methods (I and II) was always at 8 AM. Required concentration, intellectual effort, and was supremely boring to boot.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jul 2011, 01:26

Number 6 wrote:
Highway wrote:
Rachel wrote:In some ways I'm back to the sleep schedule I had one semester at college. Go to sleep when the sun is coming up, sleep till noon, go to classes, stay up all night.
That's better than a roommate I had in college first year. He decided he was going to try changing his body clock to a 30 hour day (don't bother trying to figure out why, I certainly don't know). This meant that every 3rd day or so, he'd miss all of his classes. And he'd also be up all night while I was trying to sleep (not being on some stupid arbitrarily non-conformist schedule myself).
That's easy to explain. He worked for MIB.
We are in SO much trouble if you're right. This guy was a really smart idiot. A lot smarter than I was, especially at math, and a complete idiot at being human. Maybe he was one of the folks that MIB tracks...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Shem

Post by Shem » 30 Jul 2011, 02:23

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
thoreau wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:For years and years I had to be at my office before 8 a.m. and I consider that fact alone more than adequate justification for my salary.
I should start asking for a bonus for teaching 8am classes.
Yes. Yes you should. The more salient point, however, is what sort of an idiot signs up for any 8 a.m. classes, let alone one which, I trust, requires concentration and intellectual effort?
The kind who hates his classmates. Had a couple of different tracks in undergrad with sets of classes the same people tended to take in order. One of them had a half dozen people who would never shut the hell up during lectures. Except in early morning classes. I hated them more than I loved sleep.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 30 Jul 2011, 02:28

Well I found a cure to my insomnia yesterday - I tried to watch Will Smith's I am legend, which put me straight to sleep.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Jul 2011, 11:42

dbcooper wrote:Well I found a cure to my insomnia yesterday - I tried to watch Will Smith's I am legend, which put me straight to sleep.
Did you sleep through the theatrical ending or the original ending?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Jul 2011, 12:37

i've always gotten up kinda early, even without my tiny screaming alarm clock. for a while back in my mid 20s i would stay out doing all manner of stuff until 2 or 3 and still wake up every morning around 7:15. it was a real pain in the ass during the week as i had a 12 - 9pm gig at the time.

but walking around brooklyn at 6 am with a few joggers and some shitty drunk drivers is actually quite a nice time. it's the only decent time to walk the brooklyn bridge anymore, too.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Jul 2011, 13:15

There are only two times since college where I didn't have to be a work by 7:00-7:30 am. My current job and (ironically?) when I worked with the army.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 30 Jul 2011, 22:33

I have a friend who lurks here who asked me to pass the following onto Rachel.
my Grylliade lurking friend wrote:I used to have night terrors before I was diagnosed with apnea. My
apnea was killing me. My oxygen saturation was dipping into the low
seventies and I was gaining weight which was only making matters
worse. I know several people who have apnea who have had great
success with CPAP, BiPAP and DPAP machines, although I wasn't one of
them. Luckily, I've had three surgical procedures that dramatically
improved my health. I had my last night terror a little after my
first procedure.

Sleep apnea is insidious because it really makes people question
themselves. *AFTER* treatment, looking back, it becomes obvious just
how badly it was interfering with one's life, but because it destroys
you so slowly, you can be caught in a death grip and not even really
know it.
PM me, Rachel, if you'd like to be put in touch with him directly.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Jake

Post by Jake » 01 Aug 2011, 13:23

fyodor wrote:I have a friend who lurks here who asked me to pass the following onto Rachel.
my Grylliade lurking friend wrote:I used to have night terrors before I was diagnosed with apnea. My
first procedure.

know it.
Or feel free to ask me... I've got sleep apnea and I use a CPAP (which helps a lot).
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

serenitysprings

Post by serenitysprings » 09 Aug 2011, 23:13

I've been an insomniac for the last 18 years. Started when I was 17 and hasn't let up. There have been times when it's been less aggravating but it usually still really sucks. I've tried every prescription and over-the-counter medication you can imagine and they either didn't work from the beginning or had horrendous side effects. (Ask Lunchstealer about the Ambien. Or, don't. It'd probably embarrass him. =) ) Anyway, my natural self wants to stay up all night and all day and catch a catnap every so often. Unfortunately after too much of that I get grumpy and crazy. I rarely have nightmares but I think that's because I'm usually in control of my dreams. I know I'm dreaming so I just go with it, kind of like watching a movie. However, the other night I took muscle relaxers, Benadryl, and whatever else I could find that would put me to sleep and I had a pretty major hallucination at one point. It was freaky and scary as hell but afterwards was pretty cool (once I was awake and it was light out again.) I've tried meditation, yoga, massage, self-hypnosis, you name it. Nothing works. I'm doomed to be awake for most of the rest of my life. Life can really be a bitch sometimes.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Aug 2011, 23:39

Maybe some of you guys are just those lucky types who need less sleep than most. There's a few anecdotal cases of people like that, and it would be a logical next step of evolution anyway, since "unconscious and vulnerable one-third of the time" is a pretty stupid trait to evolve. (I also don't understand why natural selection hadn't eliminated snoring long before civilization started, because a loud snorer basically announces to every predator in hearing range "Unconscious meal here! Yum yum!")
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

mediageek

Post by mediageek » 10 Aug 2011, 22:52

Generally speaking, people who snore usually are overweight.

When I was working out regularly and had leaned out, I didn't snore.

Now? I saw some fuckin' logs.
Palin/Camacho 2012

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Aug 2011, 22:54

It's 4am. I have no zopiclone. Some Brian Eno will have to do.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 11 Aug 2011, 00:30

fyodor wrote:I have a friend who lurks here who asked me to pass the following onto Rachel.
first procedure.

know it.
Belated thanks fyodor, but I'm 99% sure one of the meds I'm on (that I hope to be off by December, next Feb at the latest) is responsible, because if you google "med name" + "nightmares" you find hundreds of hits. I've always had the occasional vivid nightmare, but I'm fairly sure its inherited, as my dad is the same way (my mom complains to me about 'your father won't stop babbling about some crazy dream he had') and so was my grandfather and older cousin.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 04 Oct 2011, 15:24

Seriously, fuck insomnia. It doesn't help that there's some large construction project going on across the street and I swear they start at 6am. The only good thing about waking up at 530 this morning is that by 1030 I had applied to several jobs and cooked enough food for lunch and dinner.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Nov 2011, 08:51

I was having enough trouble sleeping as it was, but my roommates coming back from the bar at 2:00 AM and hanging out on the balcony with their female acquisitions made it pointless to even try.

So I did the only sensible thing. I got up, deleted my dating site profile, wrote a cover letter, and played Rebuild 2. I'm gonna wait for the sun to rise at least before I go get breakfast. It's too bloody chilly out there.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 06 Nov 2011, 10:27

I never sleep much the night we turn the clocks back, because I enjoy the split second where 2:00am becomes 1:00am again. This year, I was tired around 12:45, said to myself I was going to sleep and then...couldn't sleep.

So I got up, looked at jobs, wrote a blog entry, and attempted to write a cover letter. Surprisingly I'm not tired today.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Nov 2011, 10:46

You know, I was wondering why my alarm clock went off while I was in the shower. I started showering at like 7:20 by my computer's reckoning, and I couldn't imagine I had been in there that long.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 24 Mar 2012, 03:32

"It's 3:00 AM
Outside I hear the souls still screaming "
That's Edwin McCain. It's far less catchy than "And she said baby/It's 3am I must be lonely" (which is Matchbox 20 ....yes, shut up)

I was awake for like 48 hours straight. Then I took a nap and now I'm awake and the stupid birds have just started chirping so I'm not falling back asleep. Fuck insomnia.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Mar 2012, 17:26

Well, I already posted versions of 3 AM Eternal, so more generically:

I'm trying in vain to achieve a more reasonable sleep schedule, myself. We'll see.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Jun 2012, 07:21

Hey, remember sleep? Those were good times.

*kicks pebble, sighs*
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 22 Jun 2012, 17:22

Not to brag but my sleep cycle is absolutely rock solid now. I'm in bed by midnight usually and up by 7:30. Am I getting old?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Jun 2012, 17:26

Pham Nuwen wrote:Not to brag but my sleep cycle is absolutely rock solid now. I'm in bed by midnight usually and up by 7:30. Am I getting old?
No. Get back to me when you start periodically needing to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 22 Jun 2012, 21:35

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:Not to brag but my sleep cycle is absolutely rock solid now. I'm in bed by midnight usually and up by 7:30. Am I getting old?
No. Get back to me when you start periodically needing to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
...that's been true of me for years.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Mar 2013, 10:30

I'm having trouble falling asleep at night, but it seems no matter how long I sleep I wake up tired. I get a sense I'm not sleeping well but don't remember it the next day. (I apparently had a whole conversation with David in the middle of the night a few days ago and have no memory of it). It's just frustrating!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole