Insomnia

Rachel

Insomnia

Post by Rachel » 27 Jul 2011, 02:44

A general thread for when you're up late, can't sleep, and are bored out of your mind.

Perhaps it can have a sticky, since it may be infrequently used, but very useful for insomniacs to entertain each other.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Shem

Re: Insomnia

Post by Shem » 27 Jul 2011, 02:53

I've actually begun a plan to wean myself off sleep. So far, results decidedly mixed.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 27 Jul 2011, 02:56

In some ways I'm back to the sleep schedule I had one semester at college. Go to sleep when the sun is coming up, sleep till noon, go to classes, stay up all night.

I'm on like 87 medications that are supposed to be taken at bedtime because they make you sleepy. I think I'm immune to them.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 27 Jul 2011, 03:09

I keep waking up after about 2 hours at the moment. It's super annoying as I feel like a zombie without extreme caffeination, and I'm to tired to read fiction.

Every six months I go thru a phase where my sleep time changes by about one hour per day until I've worked thru the whole 24 hours
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 27 Jul 2011, 05:09

I'm more or less permanently insomniac. My usual solution is either to run myself into the ground or just stay up till four every night.

These days I'm on the "schedule? What schedule?" plan where I sleep when I feel like it. And sometimes sleep 12 hours in a row and sometimes have multiple 3 hour naps.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 27 Jul 2011, 16:01

Weird study I heard about on the radio. Great results achieved with insomniacs by giving them a cooling helmet. The cooler it was, the deeper they slept. So...make sure you have a good cool room, I guess? Dunno unless somebody can find a water-cooled system with a chin strap.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Jul 2011, 16:09

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Jul 2011, 16:22

Sandy wrote:Weird study I heard about on the radio. Great results achieved with insomniacs by giving them a cooling helmet. The cooler it was, the deeper they slept. So...make sure you have a good cool room, I guess? Dunno unless somebody can find a water-cooled system with a chin strap.
Hmm, you might be able to cheap out on it with a Chillow. I used to use one all the time. Works alright, I usually got 8-12 months out of one before a cat poked a hole in it. Basically it's a big water heat sink for your pillow.

http://www.amazon.
com/Chillow-604232777510-%C2%AE-Comfort-Device/dp/B0000V0E14
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Jul 2011, 16:31

i heard they make a hatchet version called the chillax.

insomnia sucks. i sometimes can't get back down if ye tiny one gets up at, say, 3 am and wants to party until 4:30. at that point i'm awake, and going back to sleep takes forever. and by the time i do get back to sleep, it's time to get up and go to work.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 27 Jul 2011, 17:11

Being unemployed, my insomnia doesn't matter THAT much right now. But when I was working, I'd wake up at like 4:00 and just lie their miserably until I had to get up for work.

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Jul 2011, 17:51

Sandy wrote:Weird study I heard about on the radio. Great results achieved with insomniacs by giving them a cooling helmet. The cooler it was, the deeper they slept. So...make sure you have a good cool room, I guess? Dunno unless somebody can find a water-cooled system with a chin strap.
Not really surprising, since hypothermics start to feel the overwhelming urge to sleep eventually.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jul 2011, 18:14

Rachel wrote:In some ways I'm back to the sleep schedule I had one semester at college. Go to sleep when the sun is coming up, sleep till noon, go to classes, stay up all night.
That is my current schedule as well; unless something external requires me to be present during 9 to 5 daytime hours, my default timing always sets to night-owl mode. Even when I was teaching, and had summers off ... yeah, I had to wake up at 5 a.m. to get to school on time, but within a week of summer starting I'd fall back to up-all-night mode. I don't sleep any more hours in a day -- still 7 or 8 hours of sleep every 24 -- but I seem pre-wired to want those sleeping hours to start right around dawn, or just before.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Jul 2011, 18:51

Jennifer wrote:
Rachel wrote:In some ways I'm back to the sleep schedule I had one semester at college. Go to sleep when the sun is coming up, sleep till noon, go to classes, stay up all night.
That is my current schedule as well; unless something external requires me to be present during 9 to 5 daytime hours, my default timing always sets to night-owl mode. Even when I was teaching, and had summers off ... yeah, I had to wake up at 5 a.m. to get to school on time, but within a week of summer starting I'd fall back to up-all-night mode. I don't sleep any more hours in a day -- still 7 or 8 hours of sleep every 24 -- but I seem pre-wired to want those sleeping hours to start right around dawn, or just before.
This is also generally my experience. When left to my own devices I rarely wake up before ten and rarely go to bed before one or two.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Jul 2011, 19:01

That's better than a roommate I had in college first year. He decided he was going to try changing his body clock to a 30 hour day (don't bother trying to figure out why, I certainly don't know). This meant that every 3rd day or so, he'd miss all of his classes. And he'd also be up all night while I was trying to sleep (not being on some stupid arbitrarily non-conformist schedule myself).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 27 Jul 2011, 19:52

Hugh Akston wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
This is also generally my experience. When left to my own devices I rarely wake up before ten and rarely go to bed before one or two.
Not really the same thing, though, is it? I'm with Jennifer and Rachel--left to my own devices I go to bed at like nine in the morning. When I'm forcing myself to bed early I go to bed around one or two.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Jul 2011, 00:32

dbcooper wrote:Every six months I go thru a phase where my sleep time changes by about one hour per day until I've worked thru the whole 24 hours
That exactly describes a roommate of mine. We would start on an identical schedule, and after 4-6 months, he would be getting up when I was going to bed (and vice versa). Very strange.

Also, I'm glad I've never suffered from insomnia more than a few times. If that were a regular occurrence, there's no way I could keep a steady job or refrain from climbing a bell tower.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 28 Jul 2011, 01:35

Andrew wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Every six months I go thru a phase where my sleep time changes by about one hour per day until I've worked thru the whole 24 hours
That exactly describes a roommate of mine. We would start on an identical schedule, and after 4-6 months, he would be getting up when I was going to bed (and vice versa). Very strange.

Also, I'm glad I've never suffered from insomnia more than a few times. If that were a regular occurrence, there's no way I could keep a steady job or refrain from climbing a bell tower.
A similar thing happens to me about once per semester. The shifting of bedtime usually gets later and later, until it is 4 AM, I realize that the next date (not day: too confusing) I have something pressing, and I just decide to stay up the entire day and crash at 8 or 9 PM. Repeat the next semester.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 28 Jul 2011, 03:16

Andrew wrote:

Appropos:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Night_Terrors_(episode)
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 28 Jul 2011, 04:51

Blessed are the drowsy, for they shall soon be asleep.

-Nietzsche, in Thus Spake Zarathustra
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Jul 2011, 22:54

I'm a chronic insomniac. (Actually, I suspect that my circadian rhythms are permanently backwards. I've done just fine when working nights or late evenings). For years, I've had some success with diphenhydramine and 2 ounces or so of alcohol. I suspect that this is catastrophically unhealthy in the long run, but it works for now.
Re: Night terrors-I've had two episodes of those in my life. They are distinctly not cool. Imagine waking from a dream in which you are covered with black widows only to find yourself in your bed, seeing hundreds of black widows crawling all over you. The hallucination only lasts a few seconds, but I assure that those seconds suck. A lot.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Jul 2011, 23:01

Highway wrote:
That's better than a roommate I had in college first year. He decided he was going to try changing his body clock to a 30 hour day (don't bother trying to figure out why, I certainly don't know). This meant that every 3rd day or so, he'd miss all of his classes. And he'd also be up all night while I was trying to sleep (not being on some stupid arbitrarily non-conformist schedule myself).
That's easy to explain. He worked for MIB.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 29 Jul 2011, 23:02

Number 6 wrote:I'm a chronic insomniac. (Actually, I suspect that my circadian rhythms are permanently backwards. I've done just fine when working nights or late evenings). For years, I've had some success with diphenhydramine and 2 ounces or so of alcohol. I suspect that this is catastrophically unhealthy in the long run, but it works for now.
Re: Night terrors-I've had two episodes of those in my life. They are distinctly not cool. Imagine waking from a dream in which you are covered with black widows only to find yourself in your bed, seeing hundreds of black widows crawling all over you. The hallucination only lasts a few seconds, but I assure that those seconds suck. A lot.
I have terrible night terrors. In these nightmares, I'm waking up in my own room, in my own bed, and for a few seconds everything seems normal, but it quickly because clear something is not, like there are all sorts of scary people in my apartment and I'm trying to scream, but have no voice, or that I'm trying to get out the front door, but it's disappeared, or there are snakes crawling all over the floor. This will happen 3 or 4 times in a row, usually in the very early morning hours, before I'm finally able to wake myself up.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Jul 2011, 23:10

And here I was feeling sorry for myself if I had to get up more than once during the night to go to the bathroom.

Not to trivialize others' problems, I've rarely had nightmares of any sort. Or rarely remember them, whichever. I did have an occasionally recurring dream as a kid that -- okay, trust me here, it was frightening at the time -- involved me looking down through my legs to see a giant chicken standing behind me.

I do sympathize with those of you with sleep disorders. I'm a night owl, too, but as I have no reason to get up in the morning most days it really doesn't matter. If I should stay up till four or five in the morning, no big deal. For years and years I had to be at my office before 8 a.m. and I consider that fact alone more than adequate justification for my salary.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jul 2011, 00:08

D.A. Ridgely wrote:For years and years I had to be at my office before 8 a.m. and I consider that fact alone more than adequate justification for my salary.
I should start asking for a bonus for teaching 8am classes.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jul 2011, 00:27

thoreau wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:For years and years I had to be at my office before 8 a.m. and I consider that fact alone more than adequate justification for my salary.
I should start asking for a bonus for teaching 8am classes.
Yes. Yes you should. The more salient point, however, is what sort of an idiot signs up for any 8 a.m. classes, let alone one which, I trust, requires concentration and intellectual effort?