Marriage is Totally Gay

Jennifer

Re: Marriage is Totally Gay

Post by Jennifer »

Jeff and I got married in Frederick, Maryland, and I don't know if this is the standard procedure or if we ran across some seriously half-assed clerks, but they required NO identification whatsoever from Jeff. I could've "married" literally any man, without his knowledge, provided I knew his SSN, date of birth, and a couple other things about him.

I went to get the license myself, since Jeff was working, and I came prepared with copies of Jeff's divorce certificate and other documentation I expected I'd have to show, but the lady never asked to see any documentation at all; I only had to fill out a form with some information, plus my signature guaranteeing that everything I wrote was truthful. A couple days later, marriage license in hand, we went back to the courthouse, and Jeff of course had his ID and expected he'd have to show it, but he never did. For all the clerks knew, Jeff could've been some homeless guy to whom I paid $20 and said "Okay, remember: for the next five minutes your name is Jeff, I'm Jennifer, and we're in love. Got it?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Jennifer wrote:Jeff and I got married in Frederick, Maryland, and I don't know if this is the standard procedure or if we ran across some seriously half-assed clerks, but they required NO identification whatsoever from Jeff. I could've "married" literally any man, without his knowledge, provided I knew his SSN, date of birth, and a couple other things about him.

I went to get the license myself, since Jeff was working, and I came prepared with copies of Jeff's divorce certificate and other documentation I expected I'd have to show, but the lady never asked to see any documentation at all; I only had to fill out a form with some information, plus my signature guaranteeing that everything I wrote was truthful. A couple days later, marriage license in hand, we went back to the courthouse, and Jeff of course had his ID and expected he'd have to show it, but he never did. For all the clerks knew, Jeff could've been some homeless guy to whom I paid $20 and said "Okay, remember: for the next five minutes your name is Jeff, I'm Jennifer, and we're in love. Got it?"
So you'd like more government regulation?

Randroid 2.0

Post by Randroid 2.0 »

I still don't understand the all consuming need for a SSN. What are they doing with it? They can't really run a credit check or anything.

Sent from my iBone, to beat Warren to the punch.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Randroid 2.0 wrote:I still don't understand the all consuming need for a SSN. What are they doing with it? They can't really run a credit check or anything.

Probably just inertia from the time when people used SSN as id numbers (I.e. the 1990s). It also gives a of means of tracking less clever deadbeats , maybe.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one »

Pretty sure being in love isn't a requirement to obtain a marriage license.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

Randroid 2.0 wrote:I still don't understand the all consuming need for a SSN. What are they doing with it? They can't really run a credit check or anything.

To get spousal SSI benefits later, especially if they're divorced (and proof is required) by lottery age...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
the innominate one wrote:Being forced to watch Fox News, I just got to see a clip of Kim Davis trying to get people to "leave my business". Yeah, that mindset is part of the problem. George Will nicely pointed out that Davis, like George Wallace and some other 20th century legal order resistor I don't remember, is a Democrat.
Which means only, given how long she's held that office and her mother before her held it, it's a county Dixicrat seat from back in the day.

Southern "Massive Resistance" to integration was the wedge Nixon needed for his famous "Southern Strategy," though I suspect that was more the case of being in the right place at the right time. Regardless, once the Dixicrats mostly became Republicans, they pushed the party farther right in the social conservative direction and away from the economic conservatism, a.k.a. Country Club Republicans, of the Rockefeller era. Unsurprisingly, too, once the South went Republican, the Democrats began their relentless attack on tobacco.
Kim Davis is formally switching to the GOP, because the Democrats abandoned her in her hour of need.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/cler ... n-34047036
Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, a longtime Democrat, says she is switching to the Republican Party because she feels abandoned by Democrats in her fight against same-sex marriage.

Davis' made the announcement while in Washington, D.C., to attend the Family Research Council's Value Voters Summit, said Charla Bansley, a spokeswoman for Liberty Counsel, which represents Davis in her legal battles.

"I've always been a Democrat, but the party left me," Davis said, according to Bansley.

Davis sparked a national firestorm by refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples after the Supreme Court effectively legalized gay marriage in June. Davis was ordered by a federal judge to issue the licenses but refused, and spent five days in jail for continuing to defy the order, propelling her to folk hero status among some on the religious right.

Republicans, not Democrats, came to Davis' defense.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Are we still certain that life tenure for federal judges was a good idea?
In the evening’s most important comment, he [Scalia] declared that though Supreme Court rulings should generally be obeyed, officials had no Constitutional obligation to treat as binding beyond the parties to a case rulings that lack a warrant in the text or original understanding of the Constitution. Without prompting from me, he cited Lincoln’s treatment of Dred Scott. As it happened, I had a copy of Lincoln’s First Inaugural Address with me (you never know when you’ll need it), so I read Lincoln’s words on the case to the audience. Justice Scalia strongly and colorfully condemned the Obergefell (“same-sex marriage”) ruling and the self-contradictory theory of “substantive due process” on which it (and a number of other controversial decisions, including Roe v. Wade) rests. He echoed the severe criticism of the decision that he announced in his dissenting opinion. He also strongly condemned the Supreme Court’s “establishment clause” jurisprudence on the ground that there is no textual or historical basis for the Court’s claim that laws and policies must be neutral not only between different religions, but also between religion and non-religion.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/42 ... sh-ponnuru
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

the innominate one wrote:Are we still certain that life tenure for federal judges was a good idea?
In the evening’s most important comment, he [Scalia] declared that though Supreme Court rulings should generally be obeyed, officials had no Constitutional obligation to treat as binding beyond the parties to a case rulings that lack a warrant in the text or original understanding of the Constitution. Without prompting from me, he cited Lincoln’s treatment of Dred Scott. As it happened, I had a copy of Lincoln’s First Inaugural Address with me (you never know when you’ll need it), so I read Lincoln’s words on the case to the audience. Justice Scalia strongly and colorfully condemned the Obergefell (“same-sex marriage”) ruling and the self-contradictory theory of “substantive due process” on which it (and a number of other controversial decisions, including Roe v. Wade) rests. He echoed the severe criticism of the decision that he announced in his dissenting opinion. He also strongly condemned the Supreme Court’s “establishment clause” jurisprudence on the ground that there is no textual or historical basis for the Court’s claim that laws and policies must be neutral not only between different religions, but also between religion and non-religion.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/42 ... sh-ponnuru
Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, Alito Suddenly Realize They Will Be Villains In Oscar-Winning Movie One Day

http://www.theonion.com/article/scalia- ... hey--32972

the innominate one

Scalia is already a cartoon villain most of the time.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

the innominate one wrote:Scalia is already a cartoon villain most of the time.
Not really. Even with the smaller caseload that the Court handles these years, it's less than 10% of the cases that are on publicly controversial matters that attract much attention.

In the long wrong, the thing I hate most about Scalia will be his fans cognitive dissonance regarding his own failures to stick to his own legal theories. He does know how to turn a word, but any attorney who cares about that more than clarity, conciseness, and solid reasoning should be dragged into the street and shot. He isn't the worst offender on this, but "good judicial writing":literary pleasure::"lipstick on a pig":beauty.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Time to revive this thread,alas: Roy Moore of the Alabama Supreme Court issued an order stopping the issuance of all same-sex marriage licenses in the state, from the presumed belief that state law trumps the federal supreme court's ruling on the constitution.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-alaba ... e=Facebook
The chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court ordered the state's probate judges on Wednesday not to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, despite a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court last year legalizing gay marriage.

Chief Justice Roy Moore said judges have a duty to uphold the state's law banning same-sex marriage while the Alabama Supreme Court weighs the effect of the national ruling on the state.

Legal experts and gay marriage activists rebuked the directive, noting the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision last June provided same-sex couples the right to marry in all 50 states.

A federal judge in Alabama also overturned the state's ban on same-sex marriage last year.

"Roy Moore has advised the probate judges to do something that would be in contempt of court," said Richard Cohen, president of the Southern Poverty Law Center. "It's going to be ignored."

One probate judge, Steven Reed in Montgomery, Alabama, said he would not heed the administrative order.

"Judge Moore's latest charade is just sad & pathetic," Reed posted on Twitter....

tr0g

Post by tr0g »

Oh, that's why he keeps popping up in my tiwtter feed today.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I think he's just jealous of Kim Davis and wants to wind up in jail. Seriously.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:I think he's just jealous of Kim Davis and wants to wind up in jail. Seriously.
Maybe he can marry Kim Davis after her present marriage breaks down.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy »

Pretty sure they won't be having sex with each other.

Not only is someone this obsessed completely gay, but I think he fantasizes about being spanked by Scalia.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo »

I find the current conservative hand-wringing over companies throwing their lot with liberal policies for a change amusing. Corporations are people my friend (unless they're for gay marriage).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote:I find the current conservative hand-wringing over companies throwing their lot with liberal policies for a change amusing. Corporations are people my friend (unless they're for gay marriage).
Well, GM sure gave it to America up the ass.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Mo wrote:I find the current conservative hand-wringing over companies throwing their lot with liberal policies for a change amusing. Corporations are people my friend (unless they're for gay marriage).
During the Chick-Fil-A brouhaha I noticed a very high overlap between "people who in other circumstances insist that anti-discrimination laws are totally unnecessary because the Free Market will punish companies with bigoted policies" and "people who swore that boycotting Chick-Fil-A because of their anti-gay policies is totally unfair and antithetical to freedom."

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jennifer wrote:
During the Chick-Fil-A brouhaha I noticed a very high overlap between "people who in other circumstances insist that anti-discrimination laws are totally unnecessary because the Free Market will punish companies with bigoted policies" and "people who swore that boycotting Chick-Fil-A because of their anti-gay policies is totally unfair and antithetical to freedom."
I have no problem with boycotts. It's government mandated boycotts that bother me - as in city councils refusing to allow Chick-Fil-A to open franchises in their city.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
I have no problem with boycotts. It's government mandated boycotts that bother me - as in city councils refusing to allow Chick-Fil-A to open franchises in their city.
Agreed.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ms Davis is trending on Facebook again, arguing that she should not be on the hook for paying the legal costs of the couples who had to sue her in order to be legally married.
The legal battle over Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis isn’t over yet. Now it’s time to pay the lawyers.

Attorneys for the couples who sued Davis last year to get marriage licenses have asked U.S. District Judge David Bunning for an order letting them recoup $233,058 in legal fees and costs. Their lawsuit went to the U.S. Supreme Court and back, with Davis losing at every step and even going to jail for five days on contempt charges, before the Kentucky legislature made the point moot in April by changing the state’s marriage licenses to remove county clerks’ names.

That was the outcome Davis wanted. She objected on religious grounds to the legalization of same-sex marriage by the Supreme Court, and she didn’t want her name on licenses going to same-sex couples.

In August, Bunning dismissed the couples’ suit against Davis, finding that the legislature resolved the matter. But the altered marriage licenses don’t change the fact that Davis refused to do her duty last summer, and she forced the couples to sue in order to claim their civil right to marriage, lawyers for the couples say.

“Courts recognize that when successful civil rights plaintiffs obtain a direct benefit from a court-ordered victory, such as in this case, they can be entitled to their legal expenses to deter future civil rights violations by government officials,” William Sharp, legal director of the Kentucky ACLU and one of the lawyers for the couples, said in a prepared statement.

In a response filed Monday, Davis’ lawyers urged Bunning to deny the request for legal fees. The couples did not prevail against Davis in the case, which was resolved in the legislature rather than a courtroom, wrote Roger K. Gannam of Liberty Counsel, the religious advocacy organization that has represented Davis. Since the couples did not prevail, their lawyers are not entitled to hand someone else the bill for their fees, Gannam wrote.

Separately, Rowan County filed a response saying that whatever Bunning decides about legal fees, the county government should not be forced to pay anything. Davis — an elected official — did not act on behalf of Rowan County when she refused to issue marriage licenses, and the county’s fiscal court did not control the internal operations of her office, wrote Jeffrey C. Mando, an attorney for Rowan County.

“County clerks are not employees of the county, but instead are the holders of elective office pursuant to the Kentucky Constitution,” Mando wrote.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Looks like Trump thinks same sex marriage is settled law. I guess that's good news. Of course he could be lying but I don't know why he would.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/d ... 0?cmpid=sf

Mo

Post by Mo »

This is interesting. Rod Dreher, who was anti-Trump and frightened of gay marriage and Obgerfell basically said he's fine with the Republican president saying it's safe. He's not even inaugurated and folks are dumping their principles like they're hot.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway »

I thought Dreher had said something over the summer about how he realized he was pushing the wrong fight with gay marriage and was changing the way he thought about it. Thought it was something linked here.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."