Marriage is Totally Gay

the innominate one

Re: Marriage is Totally Gay

Post by the innominate one »

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex
Mo

Post by Mo »

TFA wrote:Keene said the Kentucky County Clerks Association, which has endorsed the removal of clerks’ names from marriage licenses, is a powerful lobbying organization that would no doubt fight any attempts to cut funding to their offices.
What the what?!?!
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Mo wrote:
TFA wrote:Keene said the Kentucky County Clerks Association, which has endorsed the removal of clerks’ names from marriage licenses, is a powerful lobbying organization that would no doubt fight any attempts to cut funding to their offices.
What the what?!?!
A set of deeply interested middlemen who have no seriously interested or organized opposition to most of what they do? They could definitely be powerful.
nicole

Post by nicole »

See, I told you guys from the beginning you should just condemn her for being a county clerk.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I'm half-seriously starting to wonder if Davis and/or one of her string-pulling lawyers completely skipped the stage of child development wherein normal people develop a Theory of Mind.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
the innominate one

Clerks at least perform some useful functions. Did you read the part of the article where every county has an official jailer, even if there is no jail in the county?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Best to think of this lady as a reality tv personality. That's what she's aiming for.
Warren

Post by Warren »

I'm sure TLC will give her a season.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy »

Eh, given her past, I suspect they may want to shy away. No need to go LOOKING for another Josh Duggar.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Guys, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News ARE reality TV shows. See also Trump, Donald.

Each of them have provided some late-time summer drama for us, each helped the cable news channels boost their ratings, and each will cash in in their own way. Expect to see Davis on the fundie lecture circuit.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Sandy wrote:Eh, given her past, I suspect they may want to shy away. No need to go LOOKING for another Josh Duggar.
That shit is ratings gold, broham.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I hear Subway is looking for a new spokesperson.
the innominate one

Hugh Akston wrote:
the innominate one wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:That's easy for Huckaboo to say, he already lives in a prison of failure and despair.
You can just say Arkansas.
I regret to report that the Huckster apparently now lives in Florida, per Wikipedia.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

the innominate one wrote:I regret to report that the Huckster apparently now lives in Florida, per Wikipedia.
Out of the deep fryer and into the swamp.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Speaking of which, one job my wife is looking at would be in Jacksonville FL. Any thoughts or insight on that part of God's Waiting Room?
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

My sister and her family live in that area. Pros - low cost of living cons - summer weather that's worst then either virginia or Texas, but it still gets a freeze every winter.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote:My sister and her family live in that area. Pros - low cost of living cons - summer weather that's worst then either virginia or Texas, but it still gets a freeze every winter.
Short drive to the beach, though, and a large enough population, not most of whom are either minors or geezers, to have some art, culture, sports, etc.

What intrigues me is that I've always wanted a place by the beach and a place in the mountains. If my wife's job satisfies the beach half of the equation, all the easier to find some nice place in Colorado to spend most of the summer.
the innominate one

I lived in Jax for 7 years. I'd love to move back, since before and after I lived/live in Tampa. The summer is not as prolonged in Jax as in Tampa or in Texas. The humidity is worse than Texas, but not as hot. The winter is generally pretty mild. Cost of living is low, car insurance rates are much lower than in Tampa (my rates jumped by 2.5X going from J to T). Easy access to the beach. Lot of good places to live. Beaches, riverside, southside are all good. One public university and one private university, some culture. Overall, Jax politico-culturally belongs to Georgia, probably helped by the proximity of a large military influence. Jax Naval Air Station, Mayport, etc. The First Baptist Church of Jax has an outsized influence politically.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Oh, for fuck's sake.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2015/0919/ ... ot-be-over
In a court filing Friday, the attorney for one of Davis' employees said he believes Davis has again violated a federal court order by altering marriage license forms to remove her name and the name of the county. In a separate court filing on Friday, attorneys for the gay couples who sued Davis appear to agree and say they are "exploring legal options." ....

Also Friday, the attorneys for the American Civil Liberties Union said in a court filing that the changes on the form require [Deputy Clerk] Mason to issue the licenses "in his capacity as a 'notary public' rather than a deputy clerk of the Rowan County Clerk's Office," changes that "do not comply" with the court's order to not interfere with her employees who issue the licenses.

"These alterations call into question the validity of the marriage licenses issued," the attorneys wrote in a footnote to a motion asking the judge to certify the case as a class-action lawsuit. "Plaintiffs are exploring legal options to address these material alterations."

State law requires marriage licenses to be issued under the authority of the county clerk. Someone else, a minister or other officiant, then performs the ceremony and signs the license. The clerk then files the license with county records....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Really, I'd like to see Donald Trump and Mike Huckabee get gay-married.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
the innominate one

Aresen wrote:Really, I'd like to see Donald Trump and Mike Huckabee get gay-married.
I'd send flowers.

This is pretty funny:

"The only denial of a marriage license application [from Davis' office] that has occurred within the last two weeks was to a gentleman who stated that he wanted a license that would permit him to marry “Jesus”. When it was explained to the individual that both parties had to be present, he stated, “Jesus is always present”. After being denied, the gentleman returned later and presented a type of Power of Attorney document issued by his church granting him authority to sign “Jesus’” name. Since both parties were not present these requests were denied."

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Aresen wrote:Really, I'd like to see Donald Trump and Mike Huckabee get gay-married.
I'd send flowers.

This is pretty funny:

"The only denial of a marriage license application [from Davis' office] that has occurred within the last two weeks was to a gentleman who stated that he wanted a license that would permit him to marry “Jesus”. When it was explained to the individual that both parties had to be present, he stated, “Jesus is always present”. After being denied, the gentleman returned later and presented a type of Power of Attorney document issued by his church granting him authority to sign “Jesus’” name. Since both parties were not present these requests were denied."
Well, it's now legally documented that she does not believe Jesus is everywhere.
JD

Post by JD »

I don't know what Kentucky marriage law is like, but in NY, both parties must be physically present and power of attorney is specifically not valid for obtaining a marriage license. I also wonder what kind of church issues a power of attorney document like that!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Randroid 2.0

Post by Randroid 2.0 »

None. The guy probably made it up. Speaking from experience, all manner of cranks and nut cases are present in any "Next Window" kind of government office.

Sent from my iBone, to beat Warren to the punch.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Sandy wrote:
I'd send flowers.

This is pretty funny:

Well, it's now legally documented that she does not believe Jesus is everywhere.
I'd love to see a clarifying rule written that both parties must be present and represented by a physical avatar with appropriate government-issued identification.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake