Towing the Lion

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12485
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Ellie » 29 Dec 2018, 12:02

Some kid gamer on YouTube referred to the character of "Robbing Hood."
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3087
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Number 6 » 29 Dec 2018, 15:20

Ellie wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 12:02
Some kid gamer on YouTube referred to the character of "Robbing Hood."
In fairness, I always assumed that the name was a slight shortening of that.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 18068
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Dec 2018, 16:12

Number 6 wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 15:20
Ellie wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 12:02
Some kid gamer on YouTube referred to the character of "Robbing Hood."
In fairness, I always assumed that the name was a slight shortening of that.
A lot of people assume that, but there's no evidence that's the case.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3087
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Number 6 » 29 Dec 2018, 17:07

Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 16:12
Number 6 wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 15:20
Ellie wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 12:02
Some kid gamer on YouTube referred to the character of "Robbing Hood."
In fairness, I always assumed that the name was a slight shortening of that.
A lot of people assume that, but there's no evidence that's the case.
You learn something new every day.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16006
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Aresen » 02 Jan 2019, 10:17

It's in working progress right now.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11038
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by JD » 31 Jan 2019, 12:50

"Equity is having all students regardless of your zip code having access to Computer Science Classes."
(https://tw itter.com/khwtekgirl/status/1090981638165708800)

No, equity would be having all of your students own Comp Sci classes regardless of their zip code.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17433
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Feb 2019, 15:02

His use of equity isn't just cromulent, it's in full compliance with accepted usage of the word. The primary meaning of equity is fairness/justness, as in the opposite of inequity. It also means ownership stake, but I think that's a derived meaning.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
JD
Posts: 11038
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by JD » 01 Feb 2019, 15:21

lunchstealer wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 15:02
His use of equity isn't just cromulent, it's in full compliance with accepted usage of the word. The primary meaning of equity is fairness/justness, as in the opposite of inequity. It also means ownership stake, but I think that's a derived meaning.
Hm. OK, I withdraw my complaint. I still think the author probably meant "equality", but.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 4125
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Painboy » 12 Feb 2019, 01:52

From an Amazon review title.
Defiantly worthy to buy!

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 272
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Tuco » 12 Feb 2019, 06:47

Painboy wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 01:52
From an Amazon review title.
Defiantly worthy to buy!
Kunta Kinte's owner?

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16006
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Aresen » 12 Feb 2019, 12:20

Tuco wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 06:47
Painboy wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 01:52
From an Amazon review title.
Defiantly worthy to buy!
Kunta Kinte's owner?
:lol:

The day has just begun and we already have a internets winner, folks!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1263
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by dead_elvis » 12 Feb 2019, 12:51

I'm glad they alerted me to the preposition, I was going to position both wheels *around* the bogie box.
Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 4.14.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 4.14.25 PM.png (511.35 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9763
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2019, 09:17

I saw someone earlier say his mnemonic device was: You can affect an effect, but you can't effect an affect.

Please help.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17433
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Feb 2019, 14:34

nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 09:17
I saw someone earlier say his mnemonic device was: You can affect an effect, but you can't effect an affect.

Please help.
That's... that's impressively useless. A - you could still get them backwards because if you get 'affect' and 'effect' mixed up in normal usage ... it seems like get them mixed up in the obscure usages, too. And B - I think you should be able to effect an affect, shouldn't you?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9763
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2019, 14:37

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 14:34
nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 09:17
I saw someone earlier say his mnemonic device was: You can affect an effect, but you can't effect an affect.

Please help.
That's... that's impressively useless. A - you could still get them backwards because if you get 'affect' and 'effect' mixed up in normal usage ... it seems like get them mixed up in the obscure usages, too. And B - I think you should be able to effect an affect, shouldn't you?
Yes, that was my point -- of course you can effect an affect!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24217
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2019, 14:42

I kind of want a thread for more useless mnemonic devices but I can't think of any but also they are uniquely awful/funny.

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7110
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Jadagul » 13 Feb 2019, 19:40

People abbreviate the rule as "'affect' is a verb and 'effect' is a noun". This is complicated by the fact that "affect" is a rare noun as well as a common verb, and "effect" is a rare verb as well as a common noun.

It's easy to keep them straight though, because they're pronounced differently.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3220
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Jasper » 14 Feb 2019, 13:12

"We understand that you are currently concepting [product] for our PD team,..."

wtf
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14013
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Kolohe » 14 Feb 2019, 18:09

Verbing weirds language.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16006
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Aresen » 14 Feb 2019, 19:06

Kolohe wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 18:09
Verbing weirds language.
May you be lexiconed.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12485
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Ellie » 16 Apr 2019, 13:08

From the staff meeting minutes about last Sunday's church service:
The reading of the Passion was excellent, especially [parishioner's name] as Pilot.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16006
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Aresen » 16 Apr 2019, 14:00

Ellie wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 13:08
From the staff meeting minutes about last Sunday's church service:
The reading of the Passion was excellent, especially [parishioner's name] as Pilot.
Was he doing pilates at the time?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3220
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Jasper » 16 Apr 2019, 14:12

Aresen wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 14:00
Ellie wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 13:08
From the staff meeting minutes about last Sunday's church service:
The reading of the Passion was excellent, especially [parishioner's name] as Pilot.
Was he doing pilates at the time?
I tried doing Pilates once, but the scarring was atrocious.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27012
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by Warren » 16 Apr 2019, 14:19

Jasper wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 14:12
Aresen wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 14:00
Ellie wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 13:08
From the staff meeting minutes about last Sunday's church service:
The reading of the Passion was excellent, especially [parishioner's name] as Pilot.
Was he doing pilates at the time?
I tried doing Pilates once, but the scarring was atrocious.
Reading these lowbrow puns has taken time off my life. Not a lot of time, just a wee amount, like a minute... amount of time. Well we all have our cross to bear I guess.
I'm washing my hands of this whole thread.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17433
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Towing the Lion

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Apr 2019, 15:16

Ellie wrote:From the staff meeting minutes about last Sunday's church service:
The reading of the Passion was excellent, especially [parishioner's name] as Pilot.
Which is not to say that [parishoner’s name]’s performance outshone our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ’s performance as Copilot.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests