The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Warren

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Warren » 09 Jan 2018, 13:40

Shem wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 12:37
Still think that pardon was meaningless, Warren?
No. No I do not. In the grand scheme of things, I'd still classify it as a venial executive sin. Let's see what comes of it. There's a good chance that even if Joe's elected, he'll have a stroke before taking office.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Jan 2018, 13:48

Warren wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 13:40
Shem wrote:
No. No I do not. In the grand scheme of things, I'd still classify it as a venial executive sin. Let's see what comes of it. There's a good chance that even if Joe's elected, he'll have a stroke before taking office.
"Come on, that link might not even be phishing!"
"I mean, at worst your roommate's ex-girlfriend is probably just a little crazy. But she's hot in the right lighting."
"I mean, there's only a little bit of mold on that bread, why you complaining?"
"Come on, you have an 83.3% chance of winning at Russian Roulette!"

Warrent, we get it: You like Trump. Just admit it. It's the first step to solving a problem.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jan 2018, 14:03

thoreau wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 13:48
Warren wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 13:40
Shem wrote:
"Come on, that link might not even be phishing!"
"I mean, at worst your roommate's ex-girlfriend is probably just a little crazy. But she's hot in the right lighting."
"I mean, there's only a little bit of mold on that bread, why you complaining?"
"Come on, you have an 83.3% chance of winning at Russian Roulette!"

Warrent, we get it: You like Trump. Just admit it. It's the first step to solving a problem.
WTF? The most I've ever said in Trumps favor is he's better than the last two guys.
Pardoning Arpaio is no where near the level of "Weapons of mass destruction" or "If you like your plan, you can keep it".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Jan 2018, 15:12

If Roy Moore couldn't win, Sheriff Joe can't either.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jan 2018, 15:14

"If you like your plan, you can keep it" has been so overhyped, you'd think it was directed by James Cameron. It strikes me as basic politician exaggeration. It's less bad than the "welfare queen driving a Cadillac" or "strapping young bucks buying t-bones with food stamps."

If McCain retires, Arpaio will be the Republican nominee for one of the spots ... and lose.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jan 2018, 15:24

Mo wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 15:14
"If you like your plan, you can keep it" has been so overhyped, you'd think it was directed by James Cameron. It strikes me as basic politician exaggeration. It's less bad than the "welfare queen driving a Cadillac" or "strapping young bucks buying t-bones with food stamps."
No, it was much more that that. It was Obama's primary rebuttal to people pointing out some of the more egregious consequences of the ACA. He harped on it over and over, insisting it was true in the face of multiple confrontations.
If McCain retires, Arpaio will be the Republican nominee for one of the spots ... and lose.
Agree. But whose spot will he take? And who will he lose to?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jan 2018, 16:00

The one Kelli Ward doesn't run for. He will lose to any warm body the Democrats throw up. If there's only one seat Ward and Arpaio will likely split the racist kook vote.

And Reagan's lines were divisive, racist falsehoods about why food stamps needed to be cut.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jan 2018, 16:02

Mo wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 16:00
And Reagan's lines were divisive, racist falsehoods about why food stamps needed to be cut.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he used those lines in a State of the Union address.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Jan 2018, 16:33

Shem wrote:
If he gets the nomination, that's another R seat that's going D.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Jan 2018, 19:15

Know this: that I have faith in our love for Jesus, our job creators and our commodities markets.

I refuse to support an America where flight attendants and highly-paid lobbyists can corrupt our heroes of 9/11.

I will not stand for an America where Muslim extremists and unstable nuclear regimes can undermine our Bibles.

I will work for an America where pedophiles and overseas manufacturers cannot take away our right to transparency.

I want an America where pharmaceutical companies and communists can't destroy our right to shoot brown people.

My opponent is palling around with shifty Canadians, violent video game makers and drug dealers.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Jan 2018, 11:45

Warren wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 16:02
Mo wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he used those lines in a State of the Union address.
So?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Jan 2018, 12:12

Jennifer wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:45
Warren wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 16:02
Mo wrote:
So?
So that distinguishes "You can keep it" from "basic politician exaggeration".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Jan 2018, 13:02

Shem wrote:
Would not being pardoned have prevented him from running? I thought it just saved him from serving time.

Shem

Post by Shem » 10 Jan 2018, 13:17

Between the appeals and the time served, he wouldn't have been done in time to seriously run this year.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Jan 2018, 13:22

Not to mention that being pardoned is a signal that the leader of the party considers him a solid guy, a member in good standing of the party. It helps Arpaio in his bid for the party's recognition and endorsement.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Jan 2018, 13:34

Yeah, the pardon was, if you'll pardon me for saying so, unpardonable.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Jan 2018, 14:33

It's not like Nixon jumped back into public life immedately after he got pardonned.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 10 Jan 2018, 15:33

Nixon fell from the highest office in the country, as a result of a resignation. Joe was voted out, then convicted. And was defiant all through. This was entirely predictable.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jan 2018, 16:08

Nixon was also considerably more intelligent than Arpaio.

Nixon managed the comeback to "Elder Statesman" very adroitly.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Mar 2018, 14:02

You're not allowed to visit people at Florida prisons without a bra on. But if you wear an underwire bra, you now get strip searched: http://www.jacksonville.com/news/201803 ... visitation
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Aug 2018, 16:32

Prisoners nationwide are beginning a two-week labor and spending strike today. Here are their demands:
  • Immediate improvements to the conditions of prisons and prison policies that recognize the humanity of imprisoned men and women.
  • An immediate end to prison slavery. All persons imprisoned in any place of detention under United States jurisdiction must be paid the prevailing wage in their state or territory for their labor.
  • The Prison Litigation Reform Act must be rescinded, allowing imprisoned humans a proper channel to address grievances and violations of their rights.
  • The Truth in Sentencing Act and the Sentencing Reform Act must be rescinded so that imprisoned humans have a possibility of rehabilitation and parole. No human shall be sentenced to Death by Incarceration or serve any sentence without the possibility of parole.
  • An immediate end to the racial overcharging, over-sentencing, and parole denials of Black and brown humans. Black humans shall no longer be denied parole because the victim of the crime was white, which is a particular problem in southern states.
  • An immediate end to racist gang enhancement laws targeting Black and brown humans.
  • No imprisoned human shall be denied access to rehabilitation programs at their place of detention because of their label as a violent offender.
  • State prisons must be funded specifically to offer more rehabilitation services.
  • Pell grants must be reinstated in all US states and territories.
  • The voting rights of all confined citizens serving prison sentences, pretrial detainees, and so-called “ex-felons” must be counted. Representation is demanded. All voices count.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Aug 2018, 17:20

Hugh Akston wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 16:32
Prisoners nationwide are beginning a two-week labor and spending strike today. Here are their demands:
Can't find any coverage of that. Remains to be seen whether this is of any significance or is one of those "handful of people across the country" actions. It's a damn worthy cause, but there are lot of tiny protests for worthy causes.

ETA: I did find a Vox story.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Aug 2018, 10:11

Hugh Akston wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 16:32
  • Immediate improvements to the conditions of prisons and prison policies that recognize the humanity of imprisoned men and women.
  • An immediate end to prison slavery. All persons imprisoned in any place of detention under United States jurisdiction must be paid the prevailing wage in their state or territory for their labor.
  • The Prison Litigation Reform Act must be rescinded, allowing imprisoned humans a proper channel to address grievances and violations of their rights.
  • The Truth in Sentencing Act and the Sentencing Reform Act must be rescinded so that imprisoned humans have a possibility of rehabilitation and parole. No human shall be sentenced to Death by Incarceration or serve any sentence without the possibility of parole.
  • An immediate end to the racial overcharging, over-sentencing, and parole denials of Black and brown humans. Black humans shall no longer be denied parole because the victim of the crime was white, which is a particular problem in southern states.
  • An immediate end to racist gang enhancement laws targeting Black and brown humans.
  • No imprisoned human shall be denied access to rehabilitation programs at their place of detention because of their label as a violent offender.
  • State prisons must be funded specifically to offer more rehabilitation services.
  • Pell grants must be reinstated in all US states and territories.
  • The voting rights of all confined citizens serving prison sentences, pretrial detainees, and so-called “ex-felons” must be counted. Representation is demanded. All voices count.
No no no that's got no legs at all. You can't blame Trump for any of that. Nobody's going to give a shit. First you've got to get him to Tweet about it. Only then will the outrage flow.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Aug 2018, 10:33

Watergate led a bunch of Republicans to begin advocating prison reform.

Perhaps the incarceration of the Trump campaign and administration will do the same.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Aug 2018, 10:36

Kolohe wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 10:33
Watergate led a bunch of Republicans to begin advocating prison reform.

Perhaps the incarceration of the Trump campaign and administration will do the same.
Would the Secret Service send agents to prison to prevent a convicted former POTUS from being ass-raped?