The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

D.A. Ridgely

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Mar 2017, 21:16

And a gated community, to boot!

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2017, 10:21

I don't think I can really express how cruel this is and how sad it made me.
New York State’s Executive Budget, released on January 17, contains a proposal to reduce visitation days at the state’s maximum security correctional facilities to Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. The plan would also decrease the cost of telephone use for family members—they currently pay around 4 cents a minute, one of the lowest rates in the country—and expand video visitation, a teleconferencing option run by private companies that is gaining popularity nationwide but has been controversial. The governor’s office has said that the visitation reduction is intended to cut costs and to align maximum-security policy with medium-security facilities.

All told, it would save the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) $2.6 million by cutting 37 full-time positions. That amount represents one one-thousandth of a $3 billion departmental budget, which would increase $6 million over last year’s under Cuomo’s proposal.
http://citylimits.org/2017/03/24/opposi ... on-visits/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 29 Mar 2017, 10:44

nicole wrote:I don't think I can really express how cruel this is and how sad it made me.
I've probably mentioned this before, but you should read Mr. Smith Goes To Prison, a book by a former Missouri state senator who spent a year as an inmate in a federal pentitentiary. It will not fill you with hope about our prison system; this sounds pretty typical of the things he describes. He cites a lot of evidence that increased contact with family and friends helps decrease recidivism, and points out that part of why wardens like telephones or videoconferencing better than in-person visits is that it reduces the opportunities for contraband to get into prison.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2017, 11:04

I spent many years visiting an uncle in state prisons, so I'm fairly familiar with the issues.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2017, 01:21

nicole wrote:I spent many years visiting an uncle in state prisons, so I'm fairly familiar with the issues.
I'm going to just go ahead and believe you were a coke mule.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 May 2017, 16:44

1 in 7 US prisoners is in for life
including with or without the possibility of parole, and so-called "virtual" life sentences, where the offender faces 50 years or more. Overall, the per capita rate at which the U.S. uses life imprisonment nearly equals the entire prison population of several industrialized nations.
Most people serving life have been convicted of serious crimes, but among the population are over 17,000 persons convicted of nonviolent offenses and another 12,000 who were under 18 at the time of their crime. In three states, California, Utah and Louisiana, 1 in 3 prisoners is serving a life or virtual life sentence.
While the majority of those serving life have some possibility of parole release, in practice such outcomes have become increasingly more difficult to achieve. Parole boards and governors in states such as Michigan and Maryland have adopted policies that "life means life," even though that was not the sentence imposed by the judge in the courtroom. A variety of states have also extended the period of imprisonment before a parole hearing can take place and/or the waiting period for review after a parole denial.
Supporters of life imprisonment will argue that the individuals serving such terms have committed the most serious crimes, and therefore their punishment is appropriate. But such a position confuses proportionality with harshness. That is, all sentencing systems call for escalating punishments based on the severity of the crime. Murder is punished more harshly than robbery, which is punished more harshly than car theft. But this doesn't mean that the punishment at the top of the scale needs to be so severe as lifelong imprisonment or the death penalty. All nations in Western Europe have abolished the death penalty, and sentences of more than 20 years are unusual.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 May 2017, 11:08

Judge orders release of man who was mistakenly released from prison, only to be sent back inside after turning his life around
Lima-Marin was sentenced in 2000 on charges related to a pair of 1998 video store robberies he committed as a teen — as was his longtime friend Michael Clifton, who also participated in the crimes. Although their sentences totaling 98 years were meant to be served consecutively, a clerk’s error listed them as running concurrently.
Lima-Marin’s prison sentence came from convictions in the video store robberies when he was 19 years old. No one was hurt during the robberies, and Lima-Marin claimed the gun used was unloaded.

The prosecutor had dissected the robberies into a litany of discrete actions — including kidnapping, because they moved employees from one room to another. That approach produced a sentencing structure boosted by the crime-of-violence enhancer toward a total of 98 years. That was the low end of a range that could have exceeded 300 years.

At sentencing, Judge John Leopold took issue with that strategy: “I am not comfortable, frankly, with the way the case is charged, but that is a district attorney executive branch decision that I find that I have no control over.”
Paroled in 2008, Lima-Marin rose through a series of low-wage, felon-friendly jobs to become a glazier. He married Jasmine, became father to the two boys and was active in his church and community.
But Lima-Marin’s second chance evaporated quickly when his accidental release was discovered in 2014 after his former prosecutor happened to check on his whereabouts and found he was no longer in the prison system. His sentence was reinstated and he was returned to prison.
“Requiring Lima-Marin to serve the rest of his prison sentence all these years later would be draconian, would deprive him of substantive due process, and would perpetrate a manifest injustice,” Chief Arapahoe County District Judge Carlos Samour Jr. wrote. “Because the Court finds that Lima-Marin is being unlawfully detained, he is ordered released. No other remedy will result in justice in this case.”
Two things: 1) Sentencing a dude to life in prison for crimes in which no one was physically harmed is not the act of a civilized society. 2) This ruling frees Governor Hickenlooper from thought and responsibility about this case, which is where he is most comfortable.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 May 2017, 11:47

There have been several cases where people have been 'on the run' for decades only to be discovered after having re-established themselves as productive, useful people. In most of these cases, courts and/or authorities have been forgiving. If a person has 'rehabilitated themselves' and is no longer 'a danger to society', the whole point of a justice system has been fulfilled IMHO.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 17 May 2017, 11:51

The prosecutor had dissected the robberies into a litany of discrete actions — including kidnapping, because they moved employees from one room to another. That approach produced a sentencing structure boosted by the crime-of-violence enhancer toward a total of 98 years. That was the low end of a range that could have exceeded 300 years
I don't know about Colorado, but that's the norm in Arizona. And judges couldn't care less about it (not that they have any discretion or control thanks to mandatory minimums and sentencing categories).
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 May 2017, 11:54

Andrew wrote:
The prosecutor had dissected the robberies into a litany of discrete actions — including kidnapping, because they moved employees from one room to another. That approach produced a sentencing structure boosted by the crime-of-violence enhancer toward a total of 98 years. That was the low end of a range that could have exceeded 300 years
I don't know about Colorado, but that's the norm in Arizona. And judges couldn't care less about it (not that they have any discretion or control thanks to mandatory minimums and sentencing categories).
That's really depressing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 17 May 2017, 12:01

I'm sick beyond all possibility of expression of the idea of justice as some sort of karmic balancing system in which harm is somehow offset by doing harm to the person who committed the original act. It's a stupid, monkey-brained idea, and it's led to the waste of millions of years of individual people's lives. I don't have much to say beyond that. I'm just exhausted with and repulsed by the idea of retributive justice.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 May 2017, 12:02

Number 6 wrote:I'm sick beyond all possibility of expression of the idea of justice as some sort of karmic balancing system in which harm is somehow offset by doing harm to the person who committed the original act. It's a stupid, monkey-brained idea, and it's led to the waste of millions of years of individual people's lives. I don't have much to say beyond that. I'm just exhausted with and repulsed by the idea of retributive justice.
Amen

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 May 2017, 16:23

Hugh Akston wrote:
Number 6 wrote:I'm sick beyond all possibility of expression of the idea of justice as some sort of karmic balancing system in which harm is somehow offset by doing harm to the person who committed the original act. It's a stupid, monkey-brained idea, and it's led to the waste of millions of years of individual people's lives. I don't have much to say beyond that. I'm just exhausted with and repulsed by the idea of retributive justice.
Amen
Yeah, it's, I don't know, like punishment or rehabilitation aren't even considerations and the whole fucking thing is some sort of huge jobs program. Wait. Never mind.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 19 May 2017, 16:19

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 May 2017, 17:19

I never got the 'toy soldier' look that so many police chiefs seem to go in for.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 May 2017, 18:29

Aresen wrote:
I never got the 'toy soldier' look that so many police chiefs seem to go in for.
truth in advertising?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 May 2017, 18:33

I don't think I see it too often, tbh. What strikes me is the many different rank insignia to indicate 'chief' - anything from a colonel bird to 1 thru 5 stars.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 May 2017, 20:05

This shit where you write a thesis one tweet at a time, #Ican'tEven.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 25 May 2017, 08:46

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Jun 2017, 11:13

When the real criminal is the parole board:
ST. LOUIS • The Missouri Board of Probation and Parole allegedly toyed with prisoners during hearings by trying to get them to say a chosen word or song title of the day, such as “platypus” and “Hound Dog.”

Don Ruzicka, a member of the seven-member board, along with an unnamed government employee were accused of keeping score during the hearings, according to a Department of Corrections inspector general report completed on Nov. 1, 2016.

Each time one of them used a predetermined keyword while interviewing an offender they earned a point. Two points were granted if the offender repeated the word. Occasionally, the duo spiced the game up by wearing matching clothing, like the time they dressed in black shirts, ties, pants and shoes.

The Roderick and Solange MacArthur Justice Center at St. Louis recently obtained the state report and released it Thursday after a news conference, asserting that public servants “played games with people’s lives and liberty
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 4d7d8.html

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Jun 2017, 13:50

That really makes me want to barf. :evil:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2017, 17:42

The harder I look at the judicial system, the more of that kind of routine infliction of misery for shits and giggles I uncover.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Jun 2017, 12:58

Sheriff Joe goes to court
In 2011, a federal judge told Arpaio he could not detain immigrants just because they lacked legal status, since that job is primarily for federal agents.

Yet for about 18 months, Arpaio's deputies violated the order. They kept arresting unauthorized immigrants and dropping them off with Border Patrol.

When the judge found out years later, he found Arpaio in civil contempt of court. Then, last fall, under President Obama the Justice Department decided to criminally prosecute Arpaio for disobeying the judge.
The charge against Arpaio is criminal contempt of court, a misdemeanor.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Jun 2017, 14:29

Fingers fucking crossed he pisses did the judge.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2017, 14:37

Eric the .5b wrote:Fingers fucking crossed he pisses did the judge.
I'll take 'community service' at 5 - 1.