The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Mo

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Mo » 25 Aug 2017, 23:36

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Aug 2017, 23:50

How much does this affect the next POTUS? Is this an enduring legacy? It's hard to know since there hasn't been any serious challenge to unlimited deference to law enforcement since maybe 68.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Aug 2017, 02:29

The biggest problem with Sheriff Joe is that there are a whole lot of people who think Trump made the right call. Even if Trump is removed, those people will still be out there, voting for mayors and sheriffs and district attorneys and judges.

Democracy has its downsides.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Aug 2017, 08:25

21032395_1659141324130185_8081429816749404721_n.jpg
21032395_1659141324130185_8081429816749404721_n.jpg (36.84 KiB) Viewed 688 times
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Aug 2017, 09:53

thoreau wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 02:29
The biggest problem with Sheriff Joe is that there are a whole lot of people who think Trump made the right call. Even if Trump is removed, those people will still be out there, voting for mayors and sheriffs and district attorneys and judges.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Sheriff Joe lost relection last year and was a drag on Trump's votes in Maricopa county.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Aug 2017, 10:07

The next democratic president should say, basically, fuck it, and pardon everyone convicted of nonviolent drug charges. I know they won't, but they should.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Aug 2017, 10:11

Except they don't believe in that either. I can't think of the best analog ...

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Aug 2017, 10:21

Trumps thing is self worship, and he is a jealous god. He rewards those who worship him, and he won't tolerate any criticism. I think he's getting sucked into pandering to the most offensive and extreme fringes because because he excommunicates more reasonable people when the moment they break faith with him.
thoreau wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 02:29

I think this is right. Though as Kolohe points out, people get sick of his shit when it doesn't produce the promised results. Much like what's happening with Trump.
What I want to know is, Is the problem posed by people who think he made the right call a more enduring one because of the pardon?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 26 Aug 2017, 20:30

Critics: 'Tough' sheriff botched sex-crime cases
Both cases were among more than 400 sex-crimes reported to Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's office during a three-year period ending in 2007 -- including dozens of alleged child molestations -- that were inadequately investigated and in some instances were not worked at all, according to current and former police officers familiar with the cases.

In El Mirage alone, where Arpaio's office was providing contract police services, officials discovered at least 32 reported child molestations -- with victims as young as 2 years old -- where the sheriff's office failed to follow through, even though suspects were known in all but six cases.

Many of the victims, said a retired El Mirage police official who reviewed the files, were children of illegal immigrants.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Aug 2017, 02:16

Depending on how much this blows up, Arpiao may wind up wishing he had just served the sentence. Especially if something else comes out as a result of all this renewed attention.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Aug 2017, 09:50

I would fucking love it if something came out that was a violation of state law and therefore was unpardonable by Trump.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 27 Aug 2017, 11:10

Mo wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 09:50
I would fucking love it if something came out that was a violation of state law and therefore was unpardonable by Trump.
That would be great.
JasonL wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 10:11
Except they don't believe in that either. I can't think of the best analog ...
Correct. Hence,
the innominate one wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 10:07
The next democratic president should say, basically, fuck it, and pardon everyone convicted of nonviolent drug charges. I know they won't, but they should.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Sep 2017, 10:07

Jfc

(We should probably have a crime thread)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Sep 2017, 10:22

nicole wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 10:07
Jfc

Can someone decode that for me please
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Sep 2017, 10:29

Warren wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 10:22
nicole wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 10:07
Jfc

Can someone decode that for me please
5 Chicago neighborhoods accounted for 10% of the national increase in homicides.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Sep 2017, 10:43

thanks
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Oct 2017, 23:02

Just in case you needed a reason to hate Steven Seagal and Joe Arpaio more, Mr. Balko has something for you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... f453300ca4
Kayden Nguyen, 23, answered an online Craigslist ad for an executive assistant job at Seagal’s production company in February and was soon on his private jet taking off from Los Angeles, California, bound for New Orleans, Louisiana, the suit said.

“As the jet taxied down the runway, Mr. Seagal turned to Ms. Nguyen and said ‘I’m a family man, and I live with my wife, but she wouldn’t care if you were my lover,’ ” the suit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court said.

“Ms. Nguyen decided to take a wait and see attitude,” the suit said.

After Nguyen arrived in New Orleans, “she learned that the job she was expected to perform had nothing to do with being an ‘executive assistant,’ ” it said.

Over the next five days, she was sexually assaulted three times by Seagal at a house “many miles from New Orleans in a remote rural area of Jefferson Parish,” the suit said.

Seagal also kept “two young Russian ‘attendants’ on staff who were available for his sexual needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,” it said.

During Nguyen’s first night on the job, Seagal demanded a “massage,” it said.

“He then proceeded to treat Ms. Nguyen as his sex toy.”

The suit gives graphic details of Seagal’s alleged groping and fondling of Nguyen.
One would think that after all of that and the Nguyen suit — which, again, alleged harassment in the course of his job as a sheriff’s deputy — would be enough to end Seagal’s law enforcement ambition for good. Enter Joe Arpaio. The now-former, now-pardoned sheriff of Maricopa County, Ariz., was apparently undeterred by what happened in Jefferson Parish. In 2011, Arpaio allowed Seagal to join his “posse” (a group of volunteer officers, generally tasked with harassing undocumented immigrants), and the A&E cameras started rolling again, now from Arizona. It was at his stint with Arpaio’s department that Seagal participated in an infamous raid in which an armored vehicle drove through the outer wall and into the living room of a man suspected of raising chickens for cockfighting, and may or may not have shot a puppy. (It’s also disputed whether Seagal was in the armored vehicle when it crashed through the wall.)

Despite the long and sordid history of complaints from women against Seagal, Joe “law and order” Arpaio gave the actor a badge and the authority to detain, arrest and, depending on who you believe, drive armored vehicles into living rooms — and authorized a TV crew to glamorize him as he did it. For a while there, the two were even talking about a bid for the Arizona governor’s mansion. Imagine being a woman and trying to report an incident involving Seagal to Arpaio’s sheriff’s department. Arpaio already had a reputation for ignoring sex abuse cases.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Oct 2017, 23:33

Painboy wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 23:02
Just in case you needed a reason to hate Steven Seagal and Joe Arpaio more, Mr. Balko has something for you.
Holy shit.

Will nobody rid us of these turbulent assholes?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Oct 2017, 13:43

Meanwhile, I haven't read the full article, just the abstract, but if the data analysis bears this out then it's just one more point about how bullshit the system is:
A substantial contributor to prison admissions is the return of individuals recently released from prison, which has come to be known as prison’s “revolving door.” However, it is unclear whether being sentenced to prison itself has a causal effect on the probability of a subsequent return to prison or on criminal behavior. To examine the causal effect of being sentenced to prison on subsequent offending and reimprisonment, we leverage a natural experiment using the random assignment of judges with different propensities for sentencing offenders to prison. Drawing on data on all individuals sentenced for a felony in Michigan between 2003 and 2006, we compare individuals sentenced to prison to those sentenced to probation, taking into account sentence lengths and stratifying our analysis by race. Results show that being sentenced to prison rather than probation increases the probability of imprisonment in the first 3 years after release from prison by 18 percentage points among nonwhites and 19 percentage points among whites. Further results show that such effects are driven primarily by imprisonment for technical violations of community supervision rather than new felony convictions. This suggests that more stringent postprison parole supervision (relative to probation supervision) increases imprisonment through the detection and punishment of low-level offending or violation behavior. Such behavior would not otherwise result in imprisonment for someone who had not already been to prison or who was not on parole. These results demonstrate that the revolving door of prison is in part an effect of the nature of postprison supervision.
http://www.pnas.org/content/114/42/11103.abstract

So, once they've got you, they've got you. And they can get you for something if they want to.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Oct 2017, 16:05

thoreau wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 13:43
Meanwhile, I haven't read the full article, just the abstract, but if the data analysis bears this out then it's just one more point about how bullshit the system is:
A substantial contributor to prison admissions is the return of individuals recently released from prison, which has come to be known as prison’s “revolving door.” However, it is unclear whether being sentenced to prison itself has a causal effect on the probability of a subsequent return to prison or on criminal behavior. To examine the causal effect of being sentenced to prison on subsequent offending and reimprisonment, we leverage a natural experiment using the random assignment of judges with different propensities for sentencing offenders to prison. Drawing on data on all individuals sentenced for a felony in Michigan between 2003 and 2006, we compare individuals sentenced to prison to those sentenced to probation, taking into account sentence lengths and stratifying our analysis by race. Results show that being sentenced to prison rather than probation increases the probability of imprisonment in the first 3 years after release from prison by 18 percentage points among nonwhites and 19 percentage points among whites. Further results show that such effects are driven primarily by imprisonment for technical violations of community supervision rather than new felony convictions. This suggests that more stringent postprison parole supervision (relative to probation supervision) increases imprisonment through the detection and punishment of low-level offending or violation behavior. Such behavior would not otherwise result in imprisonment for someone who had not already been to prison or who was not on parole. These results demonstrate that the revolving door of prison is in part an effect of the nature of postprison supervision.
http://www.pnas.org/content/114/42/11103.abstract

So, once they've got you, they've got you. And they can get you for something if they want to.
Balko documented examples of offending parole violations as 'failure to pay fees associated with parole administration' (wanna say in the mid-to-upper $three-digits/mo) and 'failing to show up for meetings with parole officers' (which were scheduled in conflict the parolee's employment schedule, forcing parolee to choose between not-getting-fired and missing the parole meeting).
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 19 Oct 2017, 20:15

HA-ha.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Oct 2017, 20:52

That is so sweet to see Arpaio caught on the horns of you can't get the record wiped once you have effectively copped a plea.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Oct 2017, 20:56

Aresen wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 20:52
That is so sweet to see Arpaio caught on the horns of you can't get the record wiped once you have effectively copped a plea.

I can't help visualizing it that way.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Oct 2017, 22:05

Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 20:56
Aresen wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 20:52

I can't help visualizing it that way.
I would want it thought of any other way. :lol:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Shem

Post by Shem » 09 Jan 2018, 12:37

Still think that pardon was meaningless, Warren?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen