The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post Reply
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17021
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 May 2011, 00:57

I know he's not dead yet, but a guy can dream.

Let's kick things off with a story of cruel and unusual punishment from the PRC: Labor camp prisoners forced to play WoW.
Last edited by Hugh Akston on 27 Jan 2014, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21981
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by JasonL » 27 May 2011, 09:37

Hugh Akston wrote:I know he's not dead yet, but a guy can dream.

Let's kick things off with a story of cruel and unusual punishment from the PRC: Labor camp prisoners forced to play WoW.
I smell a Hollywood script. Paris Hilton is pushing a new handbag in Beijing, when suddenly everything goes wrong. She's arrested for attempting to move distribution weight of opium in the anal cavity of a chihuahua and shipped off without a trial to a remote prison camp. She is forced to play WoW but she like sucks at computers and stuff. The guards beat her like a pinata. When she is about to break, she meets an innocuous looking fellow with glasses who turns out to be a genius who turned down the nobel prize in mathematics for noble political reasons. He's been kidnapped by the chinese government and it turns out that 22% of chinese gdp is actually due to his WoW farming strategies. He's not good with girls. Maybe they can help each other.

Back in the states, the government is preparing to send in the one man who can do something about chinese prison camp online gaming and its effects on global trade - Mr. T.

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13197
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Kolohe » 27 May 2011, 10:14

Make the Noble Prize a Fields medal, and make the math genius Jamie Chung and I think you got yourself a pitch.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23579
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Warren » 27 May 2011, 10:18

Kolohe wrote:Make the Noble Prize a Fields medal, and make the math genius Jamie Chung and I think you got yourself a pitch.
Change Jamie Chung to Minnie Driver and Beijing to Boston, and you got Good Will Hunting. Cept not really.

Thought I had something there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by pistoffnick » 27 May 2011, 13:10

Substitute in former chicken farmer Carrol Shelby, place it in Nevada, hire a fancy pants copyright lawyer and you have Shelby motor cars.

While I agree with teaching inmate useable skills for when they get out, I suspect the exploitation aspect of it needs to be worked out better. If I ever decide that I need a totally useless but fun sports car, you can be sure I won't buy a Shelby Cobra.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12696
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Highway » 27 May 2011, 13:38

Well, that fits in with Carrol Shelby's crusade to make sure nobody ever makes a car that looks anything like the original Cobra (a car that was pretty shamelessly ripped off from someone else's car itself) without paying him tribute. He might be good at shoehorning a giant engine into a car, but he's not a very good person on the macro scale.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21981
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by JasonL » 27 May 2011, 13:49

You guys better start explaining how you're going to make sure Mr. T is in your revisions to my work of genius.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13888
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Aresen » 27 May 2011, 19:54

Hugh Akston wrote:I know he's not dead yet, but a guy can dream.
Dammit, Hugh.

I read the heading on the thread and was thinking "Hallelujah", then you crush my hopes.

DON'T DO THAT!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Lost_In_Translation
Posts: 321
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Lost_In_Translation » 30 May 2011, 13:02

Atleast the guards didn't make them virtual slaves for his farmville enterprise...

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17021
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Dec 2011, 00:16

Whoops, LA County jails wrongly incarcerated 1,480 people in the last five years, thanks to mistaken identity.
In one case, a mechanic held for nine days in 1989 on a warrant meant for someone else was detained again 20 years later on the same warrant. He was jailed for more than a month the second time before the error was discovered.

In another instance, a Nissan customer service supervisor was hauled by authorities from Tennessee to L.A. County on a local sex-crimes warrant meant for someone with a similar name.

In a third case, a former construction worker mistaken for a wanted drug offender said he was assaulted by inmates and ignored by jailers.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17021
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Mar 2012, 16:08

Crash the system: Go to trial
The answer is yes. The system of mass incarceration depends almost entirely on the cooperation of those it seeks to control. If everyone charged with crimes suddenly exercised his constitutional rights, there would not be enough judges, lawyers or prison cells to deal with the ensuing tsunami of litigation. Not everyone would have to join for the revolt to have an impact; as the legal scholar Angela J. Davis noted, “if the number of people exercising their trial rights suddenly doubled or tripled in some jurisdictions, it would create chaos.”
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6333
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Mar 2012, 21:36

Dammit hugh! You got my hopes up to dizzying heights and then dashed them properly. Well done, sir.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 25591
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by thoreau » 11 Mar 2012, 21:48

The article on crashing the system includes a quote from somebody at Cato. Since we are currently discussing the role and future of Cato in another thread, I think it's worth pointing out that Cato plays a valuable role: It demonstrates that even a political philosophy associated (rightly or wrongly) with the right can come down on the side of poor people caught up in the criminal "justice" system. In that regard, Cato is sort of the equal and opposite of the "religious left" and the occasional Christian conservative supporter of prison reform: They show that these issues are more complicated than they are often portrayed in the sports bar of politics.

Of course, libertarians are marginal freaks in our system, much like religious lefties (that is to say, lefties who are vocal in integrating their religious stances with their politics, not to be confused with folks who happen to be both lefty and religious) and conservative Christians for prison reform. Still, I'm glad to have all of these marginal groups there, to show that it's more complicated than we often make it out to be.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6825
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by fyodor » 12 Mar 2012, 12:04

thoreau wrote:The article on crashing the system includes a quote from somebody at Cato. Since we are currently discussing the role and future of Cato in another thread, I think it's worth pointing out that Cato plays a valuable role: It demonstrates that even a political philosophy associated (rightly or wrongly) with the right can come down on the side of poor people caught up in the criminal "justice" system. In that regard, Cato is sort of the equal and opposite of the "religious left" and the occasional Christian conservative supporter of prison reform: They show that these issues are more complicated than they are often portrayed in the sports bar of politics.

Of course, libertarians are marginal freaks in our system, much like religious lefties (that is to say, lefties who are vocal in integrating their religious stances with their politics, not to be confused with folks who happen to be both lefty and religious) and conservative Christians for prison reform. Still, I'm glad to have all of these marginal groups there, to show that it's more complicated than we often make it out to be.
That's too complicated for me.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22465
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Mo » 12 Mar 2012, 17:12

So basically a bunch of potential prisoners have these choices:

All plea: Moderate sentence
All go to trial: Lenient sentence as the system will crash
Some plea, some go to trial: Long sentences for those that go to trial. shorter sentence for those that plea

This dilemma needs a name.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 25591
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by thoreau » 12 Mar 2012, 17:21

Mo wrote:So basically a bunch of potential prisoners have these choices:

All plea: Moderate sentence
All go to trial: Lenient sentence as the system will crash
Some plea, some go to trial: Long sentences for those that go to trial. shorter sentence for those that plea

This dilemma needs a name.
You're talking about a particular case here, Mo. We need a more general theory to encompass these sorts of strategic dilemmas. Maybe some wonderful mind could even prove a theorem about the existence (or lack thereof) of equilibrium outcomes.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15473
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Mar 2012, 17:52

thoreau wrote:
Mo wrote:So basically a bunch of potential prisoners have these choices:

All plea: Moderate sentence
All go to trial: Lenient sentence as the system will crash
Some plea, some go to trial: Long sentences for those that go to trial. shorter sentence for those that plea

This dilemma needs a name.
You're talking about a particular case here, Mo. We need a more general theory to encompass these sorts of strategic dilemmas. Maybe some wonderful mind could even prove a theorem about the existence (or lack thereof) of equilibrium outcomes.
Wanna say this is a form of collective-action problem. Been dealt with under things like strikes and whatnot for a long time.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22465
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Mo » 12 Mar 2012, 18:19

thoreau wrote:
Mo wrote:So basically a bunch of potential prisoners have these choices:

All plea: Moderate sentence
All go to trial: Lenient sentence as the system will crash
Some plea, some go to trial: Long sentences for those that go to trial. shorter sentence for those that plea

This dilemma needs a name.
You're talking about a particular case here, Mo. We need a more general theory to encompass these sorts of strategic dilemmas. Maybe some wonderful mind could even prove a theorem about the existence (or lack thereof) of equilibrium outcomes.
Man, that mind would be beautiful.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5974
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Andrew » 13 Mar 2012, 00:07

Mo wrote:So basically a bunch of potential prisoners have these choices:

All plea: Moderate sentence
All go to trial: Lenient sentence as the system will crash
Some plea, some go to trial: Long sentences for those that go to trial. shorter sentence for those that plea

This dilemma needs a name.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that.

Also, I find the idea of "crashing the system=great justice!" to be frustratingly naive. One major fix (eliminating the right to a speedy trial) would allow the system to roll merrily along, and that wouldn't be as hard as the article makes out since the constitutional right to a speedy trial is subject to a four-factor balancing test (and any judge worth anything can make a balancing test come out however they want). The firm dates most people are familiar with are statutory and easily amended. Considering the nearly daily restrictions on rights that occur without a fuss, I don't imagine the average citizen would care that the "bad guys" are having to sit in jail longer before getting a trial. If anything, I could see people being for it since it would require more jails and more guards, both of which would be more jobs.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17021
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Apr 2012, 23:15

This one's actually about Sheriff Joe. Specifically how the downfall of Andrew Thomas is being used to put pressure on the Feds to pull the trigger on the Arapio investigation. It also features a supporting performance by Janet Napolitano who, by the way, I will gladly volunteer for NASA's next one-way manned space mission.

Two things:

One: is the DOJ finally going to indict Sheriff Joe and bring him down for his numerous abuses of power and violations of the Constitution? And since the answer is "no", why not?

Two: This little coda to the story:
But even a federal criminal indictment may not work against Arpaio in the upcoming general election, where he is expected to face an independent and Democratic candidates. Despite the steady drumbeat of news reports of serious problems within Arpaio’s sheriff’s office, there hasn’t been a huge public outcry demanding he step down.

“The groundswell of people coming out protesting, we haven’t seen it,” says Randy Parraz, a community activist who led the Russell Pearce recall effort. “It’s a mystery. Anywhere else with this kind of stuff, he wouldn’t survive.”
This sort of myopic bafflement about Democracy not functioning as an effective bulwark against tyranny always surprises me. Sheriff Joe keeps the majority of voters in Maricopa on his side by creating a boogeyman out of a largely disenfranchised minority(?), and then doing something about it. Then he makes himself a martyr when the egghead elites in Washington try to stop him. This is a reliable means to seize and secure power, and yet people who believe in Democracy always seem surprised when it happens.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Dangerman
Posts: 6032
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Dangerman » 22 Apr 2012, 23:37

JasonL wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I know he's not dead yet, but a guy can dream.

Let's kick things off with a story of cruel and unusual punishment from the PRC: Labor camp prisoners forced to play WoW.
I smell a Hollywood script. Paris Hilton is pushing a new handbag in Beijing, when suddenly everything goes wrong. She's arrested for attempting to move distribution weight of opium in the anal cavity of a chihuahua and shipped off without a trial to a remote prison camp. She is forced to play WoW but she like sucks at computers and stuff. The guards beat her like a pinata. When she is about to break, she meets an innocuous looking fellow with glasses who turns out to be a genius who turned down the nobel prize in mathematics for noble political reasons. He's been kidnapped by the chinese government and it turns out that 22% of chinese gdp is actually due to his WoW farming strategies. He's not good with girls. Maybe they can help each other.

Back in the states, the government is preparing to send in the one man who can do something about chinese prison camp online gaming and its effects on global trade - Mr. T.

Paris isn't in it (sad panda, I guess), but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that REAMDE hits 4/5 of these points.

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6333
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Apr 2012, 00:15

Hugh Akston wrote:This sort of myopic bafflement about Democracy not functioning as an effective bulwark against tyranny always surprises me. Sheriff Joe keeps the majority of voters in Maricopa on his side by creating a boogeyman out of a largely disenfranchised minority(?), and then doing something about it. Then he makes himself a martyr when the egghead elites in Washington try to stop him. This is a reliable means to seize and secure power, and yet people who believe in Democracy always seem surprised when it happens.
Hitler!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22465
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Mo » 23 Apr 2012, 00:28

Hugh Akston wrote:Two: This little coda to the story:
But even a federal criminal indictment may not work against Arpaio in the upcoming general election, where he is expected to face an independent and Democratic candidates. Despite the steady drumbeat of news reports of serious problems within Arpaio’s sheriff’s office, there hasn’t been a huge public outcry demanding he step down.

“The groundswell of people coming out protesting, we haven’t seen it,” says Randy Parraz, a community activist who led the Russell Pearce recall effort. “It’s a mystery. Anywhere else with this kind of stuff, he wouldn’t survive.”
This sort of myopic bafflement about Democracy not functioning as an effective bulwark against tyranny always surprises me. Sheriff Joe keeps the majority of voters in Maricopa on his side by creating a boogeyman out of a largely disenfranchised minority(?), and then doing something about it. Then he makes himself a martyr when the egghead elites in Washington try to stop him. This is a reliable means to seize and secure power, and yet people who believe in Democracy always seem surprised when it happens.
It's like he lives in a world where James Traficant never existed.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6333
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Apr 2012, 01:58

Mo wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Two: This little coda to the story:
But even a federal criminal indictment may not work against Arpaio in the upcoming general election, where he is expected to face an independent and Democratic candidates. Despite the steady drumbeat of news reports of serious problems within Arpaio’s sheriff’s office, there hasn’t been a huge public outcry demanding he step down.

“The groundswell of people coming out protesting, we haven’t seen it,” says Randy Parraz, a community activist who led the Russell Pearce recall effort. “It’s a mystery. Anywhere else with this kind of stuff, he wouldn’t survive.”
This sort of myopic bafflement about Democracy not functioning as an effective bulwark against tyranny always surprises me. Sheriff Joe keeps the majority of voters in Maricopa on his side by creating a boogeyman out of a largely disenfranchised minority(?), and then doing something about it. Then he makes himself a martyr when the egghead elites in Washington try to stop him. This is a reliable means to seize and secure power, and yet people who believe in Democracy always seem surprised when it happens.
It's like he lives in a world where James Traficant never existed.
Who?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17942
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arapio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by dbcooper » 23 Apr 2012, 04:04

You will know the hair.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest