The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17012
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Jun 2017, 14:41

Aresen wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Fingers fucking crossed he pisses did the judge.
I'll take 'community service' at 5 - 1.
I know just the organization he can volunteer for.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Warren » 26 Jun 2017, 14:44

I'm trying very hard to not wish prison rape upon him.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13698
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2017, 14:51

Warren wrote:I'm trying very hard to not wish prison rape upon him.
I doubt they could find an inmate perverted enough.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15245
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Jun 2017, 15:40

Warren wrote:I'm trying very hard to not wish prison rape upon him.
shiv ain't just a letter in the Hebrew alphabet, bruh.

it also isn't a letter in the Hebrew alphabet, but the art of the really lame one liner sez fuck off, reality. Also I am opposed on principle to extrajudicial killing or abuse in prison as a cherry-on-top kind of punishment, so no just do your time Joe.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11590
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Jun 2017, 02:10

lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:I'm trying very hard to not wish prison rape upon him.
shiv ain't just a letter in the Hebrew alphabet, bruh.

it also isn't a letter in the Hebrew alphabet, but the art of the really lame one liner sez fuck off, reality. Also I am opposed on principle to extrajudicial killing or abuse in prison as a cherry-on-top kind of punishment, so no just do your time Joe.
Just, please, a significant amount of it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8423
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by nicole » 30 Jun 2017, 10:24

I'm not crazy about the headline of this post and could have done without the racial focus, but I'm glad this issue is getting more attention: https://fusion.kinja.com/visiting-an-in ... 1796485834
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Warren » 30 Jun 2017, 13:36

nicole wrote:I'm not crazy about the headline of this post and could have done without the racial focus, but I'm glad this issue is getting more attention: https://fusion.kinja.com/visiting-an-in ... 1796485834
Agree. And this article only scratches the surface.

I've said it before I'll say it again, the whole judicial system from top to bottom needs an enema. US Correctional facilities are inexcusably brutal, and a national shame.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17012
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Jul 2017, 11:46

Three generations of miscreants is enough
Under a standing order issued by General Sessions Judge Sam Benningfield, inmates in White County, Tenn., can receive 30 days credit toward their jail time if they volunteer for vasectomies or contraceptive implants, as NewsChannel 5 reported Thursday.
The order came down quietly in May, and already dozens of inmates have sought to take advantage of it. Thirty-two women have received implants of the hormone device Nexplanon, and 38 men have signed up to receive vasectomies, according to NewsChannel 5.

The procedures are reportedly being performed free by the Tennessee Department of Health. The department did not immediately return messages early Friday seeking to confirm the account.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Warren » 21 Jul 2017, 12:02

Hugh Akston wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 11:46
Three generations of miscreants is enough
Under a standing order issued by General Sessions Judge Sam Benningfield, inmates in White County, Tenn., can receive 30 days credit toward their jail time if they volunteer for vasectomies or contraceptive implants, as NewsChannel 5 reported Thursday.
The order came down quietly in May, and already dozens of inmates have sought to take advantage of it. Thirty-two women have received implants of the hormone device Nexplanon, and 38 men have signed up to receive vasectomies, according to NewsChannel 5.

The procedures are reportedly being performed free by the Tennessee Department of Health. The department did not immediately return messages early Friday seeking to confirm the account.
I'm not reflexively opposed to this.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13698
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Aresen » 21 Jul 2017, 12:19

Warren wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 12:02
Hugh Akston wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 11:46
Three generations of miscreants is enough
Under a standing order issued by General Sessions Judge Sam Benningfield, inmates in White County, Tenn., can receive 30 days credit toward their jail time if they volunteer for vasectomies or contraceptive implants, as NewsChannel 5 reported Thursday.
The order came down quietly in May, and already dozens of inmates have sought to take advantage of it. Thirty-two women have received implants of the hormone device Nexplanon, and 38 men have signed up to receive vasectomies, according to NewsChannel 5.

The procedures are reportedly being performed free by the Tennessee Department of Health. The department did not immediately return messages early Friday seeking to confirm the account.
I'm not reflexively opposed to this.
I am. It is turning contraception into an alternative form of punishment.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 25254
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by thoreau » 21 Jul 2017, 12:48

The word "eugenics" has the prefix "eu-", which means "good."

I think it's an apt prefix.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17012
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Jul 2017, 12:50

gryllers seem to be on the eugenics train lately. I won't spoil the ride by telling you where the last stop is.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 25254
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by thoreau » 21 Jul 2017, 12:55

Will the train drop my cousin off at the urologist's office?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Warren » 21 Jul 2017, 12:55

Hugh Akston wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 12:50
gryllers seem to be on the eugenics train lately. I won't spoil the ride by telling you where the last stop is.
It's not eugenics, it's the obstacles to good parenting being a convicted criminal imposes.
Aresen wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 12:19
It is turning contraception into an alternative form of punishment.
Given the standard form of punishment, I don't see how that's a bad thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17734
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Jul 2017, 13:48

I'm not coming down hard one way or the other on this one. First, the implant isn't permanent sterilization according to what I've read; moreover, it is a birth control method widely used by women not behind bars. Second, men not behind bars get vasectomies sometimes for reasons even less compelling.

Moreover, I'm all in favor of "alternative forms of punishment," per se. If thirty fewer days in jail are worth the trade-off to prisoners, well, who are we to argue? Is there coercion involved? Of course there is; that's what the entire penal system is about. Go to AA (or any other putatively "recovery" group or therapy) and you get your sentence reduced. Do some enforced "voluntary" community service and get time reduced, etc., etc. However problematic any and all of these may be, they're not intuitively worse than caging people for protracted periods of time.

Mind you, if empirical evidence demonstrated that. for example, the only people being offered this alternative were black, that would be a different kettle of fish. The devil's in the details here, at least for me.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Warren » 21 Jul 2017, 13:52

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 13:48
I'm not coming down hard one way or the other on this one. First, the implant isn't permanent sterilization according to what I've read; moreover, it is a birth control method widely used by women not behind bars. Second, men not behind bars get vasectomies sometimes for reasons even less compelling.

Moreover, I'm all in favor of "alternative forms of punishment," per se. If thirty fewer days in jail are worth the trade-off to prisoners, well, who are we to argue? Is there coercion involved? Of course there is; that's what the entire penal system is about. Go to AA (or any other putatively "recovery" group or therapy) and you get your sentence reduced. Do some enforced "voluntary" community service and get time reduced, etc., etc. However problematic any and all of these may be, they're not intuitively worse than caging people for protracted periods of time.

Mind you, if empirical evidence demonstrated that. for example, the only people being offered this alternative were black, that would be a different kettle of fish. The devil's in the details here, at least for me.
cosign
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 25254
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by thoreau » 21 Jul 2017, 14:02

I've been around the world, guys, and here's what I've found out: Only stupid people are breeding. The cretins are cloning and feeding.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10546
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Ellie » 23 Jul 2017, 11:32

Don't blame me. I don't even own a TV.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 25254
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2017, 11:35



Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17012
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Jul 2017, 16:28

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9277
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 31 Jul 2017, 15:34

Joe Arpaio convicted!
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23206
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Warren » 01 Aug 2017, 01:06

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 15:34
Joe Arpaio convicted!
He was so far off the reservation, you knew it was going to happen. Couldn't of happen to a more deserving guy. Now lets see what he's receives for sentencing. And more importantly, what he actually serves.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13698
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Aresen » 01 Aug 2017, 09:34

Warren wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 01:06
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 15:34
Joe Arpaio convicted!
He was so far off the reservation, you knew it was going to happen. Couldn't of happen to a more deserving guy. Now lets see what he's receives for sentencing. And more importantly, what he actually serves.
Yeah. That's the crux, isn't it?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 7696
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by Taktix® » 01 Aug 2017, 10:02

Aresen wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 09:34
Warren wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 01:06
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 15:34
Joe Arpaio convicted!
He was so far off the reservation, you knew it was going to happen. Couldn't of happen to a more deserving guy. Now lets see what he's receives for sentencing. And more importantly, what he actually serves.
Yeah. That's the crux, isn't it?
I'm content with the fact that someone as locally powerful as Sheriff Joe Inmate # 4968974323 wasn't able to make this all go away. Anything else at this point is just a bonus...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17734
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: The Sheriff Joe Arpaio Memorial Prison Reform Thread

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Aug 2017, 11:59

I'd be perfectly happy if the judge sentenced him to wear a pink jumpsuit with a ten pound ball and chain while performing the maximum allowable number of community hours picking up trash in a Hispanic neighborhood.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fin Fang Foom and 2 guests