Private Money!

Warren

Re: Private Money!

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2017, 15:10

So the last of my outstanding issues have been resolved. I'm now holding BitCoins, BitCoin Cash, and Ethereum.
The price of BTC has gone up since the hardfork. There may even be a solid floor in BitCoin Cash at around $270.
I only threw fifty bucks into Ethereum post run-up, but at the time of this posting I'm even ahead on that.

Such Crypto
Much Joy
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2017, 17:41

Are you fucking kidding me?
Warren Adams
Subject: itBit needs further information
AUG 14, 2017 | 07:53PM UTC
Elana Glasser replied:
Hello Warren Adams,

From time to time, we will ask our clients questions to ascertain the nature of their activity. We do this to ensure the safety and security of our trading platform. We would like some further information regarding your activity:

1) What is the source of funds for your account? Please provide, in detail, how the source of funds is generated. For example, if the account is funded by BitCoin, please indicate how and where the BitCoin deposits were sourced. If the account is funded by USD, please indicate source of funds for the USD deposits.
2) Please provide the name and location of your employer, your title/position and a description of your occupation.
3) Please provide your annual salary.
4) What is the purpose of your itBit Account?
5) If you are a trader, please provide us with a description of your trading strategy.
6) If you trade on other bitcoin exchanges, please provide us with their names.
7) What third party bitcoin wallets do you use?
8) What is your estimated monthly trading volume on our platform? (Please provide in USD per month)

Thank you.

This message was sent to foamerace@gmail.com in reference to case number : 65092.
[[924ae9bc46b94dc84f5a991bac6dbc6a76152e18-1016551184]]
I'd think it was a phishing email if not for the sender's edress (help @itbit.com). I'm going to ignore it for now. But this could ensure I never do business with them again. That would be inconvenient. I like itbit as I can withdraw dollars directly to my bank on itbit.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Aug 2017, 19:40

Which is probably why they're sending the email. Have to make an effort to look tough on money laundering, or the feds will 800lb gorilla you.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2017, 19:47

Shem wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 19:40
Which is probably why they're sending the email. Have to make an effort to look tough on money laundering, or the feds will 800lb gorilla you.
Yeah maybe. But that's straight up obnoxious. Banks, stock brokers, precious metal dealers, all have to comply with money laundering regs too. But outside of having to verify employment and income, no one outside the government has ever been so outrageous in prying into my personal affairs.

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Aug 2017, 20:18

that is the shittiest way to ask for this kind of information, gives you no context or carrot, etc.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 14 Aug 2017, 20:21

I'm not saying this is what's happening, but do note that it is 100% possible and actually quite easy to make an email tell you it came from any old address. Most scam emails at this point have "from" fields that point to legitimate websites. (And "reply-to" fields that do not).

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2017, 20:54

Jadagul wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 20:21
I'm not saying this is what's happening, but do note that it is 100% possible and actually quite easy to make an email tell you it came from any old address. Most scam emails at this point have "from" fields that point to legitimate websites. (And "reply-to" fields that do not).
The "from" and "reply-to" fields are identical.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 14 Aug 2017, 21:15

Warren wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 20:54
Jadagul wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 20:21
The "from" and "reply-to" fields are identical.
That's a good sign, at least.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2017, 22:40

So for about two seconds I contemplated replying to the above. Then I played "and then what?" and concluded the potential cost exceeded the return in lulz. For amusement purposes only, here is my reply
1) What is the source of funds for your account? Please provide, in detail, how the source of funds is generated. For example, if the account is funded by BitCoin, please indicate how and where the BitCoin deposits were sourced. If the account is funded by USD, please indicate source of funds for the USD deposits.
Magic Beans. I traded a cow for them.

2) Please provide the name and location of your employer, your title/position and a description of your occupation.
I am a shepherd. I am out standing in my field.

3) Please provide your annual salary.
Three bags full

4) What is the purpose of your itBit Account?
To acquire slack

5) If you are a trader, please provide us with a description of your trading strategy.
Buy low, sell less low.

6) If you trade on other bitcoin exchanges, please provide us with their names.
Sure thing. But first you tell me the names of all the other traders on your exchange.

7) What third party bitcoin wallets do you use?
I always vote Libertarian

8) What is your estimated monthly trading volume on our platform? (Please provide in USD per month)
One Trillion (roughly... very rough)

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Aug 2017, 00:13

BitCoin Cash jumped 40% today.

ETA
And now it just set a new high.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 25 Sep 2017, 19:04

Change Healthcare (15,000 employees, annual revenue ~ $3.4B) is introducing a blockchain based payment system for healthcare this year.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170925005820/en
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Sep 2017, 19:37

dbcooper wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 19:04
Change Healthcare (15,000 employees, annual revenue ~ $3.4B) is introducing a blockchain based payment system for healthcare this year.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170925005820/en
Yeah, blockchain technology has really proven itself. Goes well beyond private money. It's going to change everything. I'd say it will have as big an impact on civilization as the integrated circuit.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2017, 21:19

It's really important. More than currency per se by an order of magnitude

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Sep 2017, 21:33

I think it's overstating a bit. I've been saying its future will be a lot like Linux, underpinning a lot of infrastructure, but largely invisible to everyone.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Sep 2017, 22:19

Mo wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 21:33
...its future will be a lot like Linux, underpinning a lot of infrastructure, but largely invisible to everyone.
This is true

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2017, 23:26

Invisible not same as unimportant. It will be the fundamental architecture underpinning transfers of value among parties.

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Sep 2017, 23:56

I agree that invisible != unimportant, but more important than currency by an order of magnitude is vastly overstating the case and out of character for you. The improvement of between currency and barter (its predecessor) is far more massive than the difference between public ledgers than private ledgers. Linux is fantastic and an improvement over what lay before, but we'd hardly be thrust into the dark ages if current Linux infrastructure was running on Solaris.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 26 Sep 2017, 00:02

Mo wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 23:56
I agree that invisible != unimportant, but more important than currency by an order of magnitude is vastly overstating the case and out of character for you. The improvement of between currency and barter (its predecessor) is far more massive than the difference between public ledgers than private ledgers. Linux is fantastic and an improvement over what lay before, but we'd hardly be thrust into the dark ages if current Linux infrastructure was running on Solaris.
I assumed he meant cryptocurrency.

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Sep 2017, 00:05

I thought he was talking about blockchain. My personal view is blockchain is going to be huge and will underpin the financial sector (in essence be Linux in enterprises), cryptocurrency will be like Linux in the consumer market.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 26 Sep 2017, 00:20

To clarify, I thought he meant that blockchain's info/financial infrastructure uses will be much more important than cryptocurrencies (which may turn out to be parts of the same systems).

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 26 Sep 2017, 00:20

CBS's Showtime caught mining crypto-coins in viewers' web browsers
Who placed the JavaScript code on two primetime dot-coms? So far, it's a mystery

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Sep 2017, 02:16

Mo wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 00:05
My personal view is blockchain is going to be huge and will underpin the financial sector ...
This is also true.

But it's not limited to the financial sector, blockchain will find application in virtually all industry.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Sep 2017, 09:05

I meant blockchain >> cryptocurrency as a specific use case. I did not mean currency overall. Not clear by me.

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Sep 2017, 09:18

Ah, in that case I agree and think that order of magnitude undersells it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Sep 2017, 09:36

Mo wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 09:18
Ah, in that case I agree and think that order of magnitude undersells it.
Over the next ten years I agree. However, in twenty years I don't think pure fiat is going to be a thing. Sovereign currency will need to be backed by crypto.