Private Money!

Shem

Re: Private Money!

Post by Shem » 06 Jun 2016, 16:36

I've shipped it before; the important thing is that it's in dark glass and it wasn't cooled before being sent. Nevertheless, your method seems much easier.

As forthe rest, alas, you'll have to settle for forcing me to break my vow to never traffic in bitcoin, come what may. It may comfort you to know I'd much rather mouth your acknowledgement.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2016, 16:49

It's a paltry sum, but I'll take what comforts I can in this life. I hope you are determined to make this one bitcoin payment and that you keep us fully posted on your progress.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Jun 2016, 21:57

Trying to buy .05th of a Bitcoin. Jesus Christ, this is a pain in the ass. You sure I can't just mail you cash?

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2016, 22:27

Hee hee. Thank the US Government.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Jun 2016, 22:50

Is there any way I can buy Bitcoin without providing my SSN to a stranger on the internet?

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2016, 23:01

Try cex.io
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Jun 2016, 23:22

Or you could tell us your SSN and then we'd give it to strangers.

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Jun 2016, 23:25

Nope, not available in my state.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jun 2016, 00:25

Mo wrote:Try cex.io
I bow to your bitcoin fu. However, I was asked to provide my SSN to add a credit card to my account (along with pictures of me holding my card, and another of my card kissing my state issued ID). I'm stuck waiting for their micro transaction to show up on my activity. Even so, assuming that is the last thing required, it's a hell of a lot smoother than most other BitCoin trading sites.

Shem

Post by Shem » 07 Jun 2016, 00:57

An accord has been reached. Sig space for six months, plus an undisclosed sum. Let it be recorded in the Book of TnaD

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Jun 2016, 08:52

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:Try cex.io
I bow to your bitcoin fu. However, I was asked to provide my SSN to add a credit card to my account (along with pictures of me holding my card, and another of my card kissing my state issued ID). I'm stuck waiting for their micro transaction to show up on my activity. Even so, assuming that is the last thing required, it's a hell of a lot smoother than most other BitCoin trading sites.
It is literally my job to know payments.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Dec 2016, 10:39

BitCoin is fulfilling it's promise of providing safe haven against fiat collapse in Venezuela.
http://reason.com/archives/2016/11/28/t ... s-world-of

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Dec 2016, 11:02

They just put up a one-year chart for BitCoin on CNBC.
Legit.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 22 Dec 2016, 12:10

https://news.bitcoin.com/irs-attack-dog ... itcoiners/

Accidental Americans! Good band name or fucking horrible slaver policy?
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Dec 2016, 17:56

pistoffnick wrote:https://news.bitcoin.com/irs-attack-dog ... itcoiners/

Accidental Americans! Good band name or fucking horrible slaver policy?
Hmmm. Could be trouble ahead. Best move my BtCs into my thumb drive

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Jan 2017, 12:28

mentioned elsewhere, but:

You guys, there was a guy at the theater the other day sporting a DogeCoin t-shirt. I shit you not. I saw no evidence that it was being done ironically, either. Kinda neckbeardy and greasy/overweight even by my standards, so maybe not the best ambassador.

I didn't ask him how to pronounce it...

Last edited by lunchstealer on 10 Jan 2017, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Jan 2017, 12:33

I heart the if google was a guy series
it cracks me up

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Mar 2017, 11:39

Oh hey would you look at that. Bitcoin hit an all time high and continues to surge. 1BtC > 1oz gold

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Mar 2017, 12:01

It's been interesting to follow. My concerns from way back were not so much that it wouldn't be an asset type, but that it would have limited use as currency per se because a) if it's a particularly strong asset people wouldn't spend it and b) I didn't think there would be much adoption by merchants. The rise of conversion intermediaries and the deals that have been struck with banks have been a big deal because peer to peer purchasing is still not a thing many people can do. The stories from Venezuela and Brazil are really interesting.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Mar 2017, 12:21

JasonL wrote:It's been interesting to follow. My concerns from way back were not so much that it wouldn't be an asset type, but that it would have limited use as currency per se because a) if it's a particularly strong asset people wouldn't spend it and b) I didn't think there would be much adoption by merchants. The rise of conversion intermediaries and the deals that have been struck with banks have been a big deal because peer to peer purchasing is still not a thing many people can do. The stories from Venezuela and Brazil are really interesting.
Check. It's more properly thought of as a commodity than a currency.
BitCoins success in enabling the proletariat to escape the destruction of their savings from the deliberate currency manipulation of the local central bank is a story that should get more attention. This is a great great thing, an unmitigated good and an historic achievement. It's not hyperbole to say BitCoin is keeping millions of people out of poverty.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 May 2017, 10:09

Price of BitCoins (in USD) more than doubled in the past two months.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 27 Jul 2017, 11:40

Well, I guess it was fun while it lasted:
Bitcoin is set to be given the same financial safeguards as traditional assets. The US Commodity Futures Trading Commission has granted LedgerX, a cryptocurrency trading platform operator, approval to become the first federally regulated digital currency options exchange and clearinghouse in the US.
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Jul 2017, 12:58

Federally regulated options exchange is not the same a federally regulated currency.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 27 Jul 2017, 13:07

JasonL wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 12:58
Federally regulated options exchange is not the same a federally regulated currency.
Baby Steps to the Dystopia...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Jul 2017, 13:17

Taktix® wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 11:40
Well, I guess it was fun while it lasted:
Bitcoin is set to be given the same financial safeguards as traditional assets. The US Commodity Futures Trading Commission has granted LedgerX, a cryptocurrency trading platform operator, approval to become the first federally regulated digital currency options exchange and clearinghouse in the US.
Eh? Now it's even more fun. A white market BtC exchange is good for BitCoin, and does nothing to diminish BtC's advantages. Anonymity will still be available, though not automatic, and the government can't print BtCs (nor can anybody else for that matter). All the other features of the blockchain will remain in place as well. Think of it as digital gold. The government can regulate COMEX and other financial institutions (this meddling surely affects the price of gold) but it can't print gold or keep people from using it as a medium of exchange.

The big news in BitCoin, is the coming segwit hardfork.

ETA
Taktix® wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 13:07
JasonL wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 12:58
Baby Steps to the Dystopia...
It's not a step at all. It's their own sandbox. It's a good thing.