Questions for the Grylliade Non-Hive Mind

Jasper

Re: Questions for the Grylliade Non-Hive Mind

Post by Jasper » 21 Mar 2018, 12:52

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thx for confirmation.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 22 Mar 2018, 08:11

I disagree. I think you should say, "Already saw it, nanny nanny boo boo, how do you like me now?"

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Mar 2018, 11:15

Tuco wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 08:11
I disagree. I think you should say, "Already saw it, nanny nanny boo boo, how do you like me now?"
"Come at me bro" too Geico?
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Aug 2018, 15:27

Question about auto mechanics and the choosing thereof.

The Erstwhile Surly Teen used some of his extra cash picked up during his Korea deployment to buy an old beat up Mustang ('73 with a 351). It was to be a fixer-upper, but has ended up being more fixey than anticipated, especially since while 'helping' I managed to reverse the polarity of the battery which had some consequences of the not-getting-spark variety. It's taking up way too much space in my not big enough driveway, and I need my driveway back for other things, and he'll be stationed down in Colorado Springs starting in October and I want him to be able to take the car to be able to play with it on his weekends.

So for his belated birthday present, what I want to do is take the thing to a garage and get the worst things fixed so that it runs and is safe to drive, then he can do more afterwards, getting it to run well, making the interior not suck, etc. I have a garage that I've worked with before that is trustworthy and solid but is more up-scale and expensive than is probably necessary. They seem to do most of their work on newer out-of-warranty cars for suburbanites. So this is outside their main bailiwick. Should I put any effort into finding a different mechanic, or just go with the kind-of-overkill mechanic I normally work with for modern cars?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Aug 2018, 15:43

Does the vehicle run at all? If it does, and you can take it to different places to get an assessment and estimate, then I'd do that. If it doesn't run, and you do trust the one place to do good work, to me that's more important than the cost (to a certain large degree). Also, if it's a good place, you could probably get a good list from them of what they feel are essential fixes, what they feel are recommended fixes, and what would be optional fixes. Then you can pick what you'd like to do, hit a price point, and there ya go. And that's assuming they'd do the work anyway, it may be outside of their expertise, or they might not be able to get parts, etc. and they should tell you if there will be problems like that.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Aug 2018, 17:19

What Highway said.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 10 Aug 2018, 06:31

Make sure your mechanic has a hairstyle that's at least 20 years out of date. A mullet on a balding guy is the best. Also, he should be listening to The Allman Brothers.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2018, 09:38

Tuco wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:31
Make sure your mechanic has a hairstyle that's at least 20 years out of date. A mullet on a balding guy is the best. Also, he should be listening to The Allman Brothers.
That might just be crazy enough to work!
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Aug 2018, 10:05

Tuco wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 06:31
Ive seen that movie! It must be true!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Aug 2018, 10:24

Yeah no spark so not running.

And my place does set aside some time for classic/project cars. Also apparently 1970s now count as classic.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2018, 10:44

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 10:24
Yeah, you smoked the alternator when your reverse polarized the battery. It's cheap and easy to protect against that. I wouldn't stand in the way of legislation that would hold CEOs of vehicle manufactures what didn't protect the alternator personally libel to buy their customers a new car.
Also apparently 1970s now count as classic.
Dude. The 1970's have counted as classic since the 1990's. Which now also count as classic.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Aug 2018, 12:31

Warren wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 10:44
lunchstealer wrote:
Yeah, you smoked the alternator when your reverse polarized the battery. It's cheap and easy to protect against that. I wouldn't stand in the way of legislation that would hold CEOs of vehicle manufactures what didn't protect the alternator personally libel to buy their customers a new car.
Yeah, it ran off the battery after smoking the alternator, but when the alternator got replaced is when it did it lost spark. Probably some missing connection in there, but I think the engine came out of another car and it's all frankenwiring in there, so finding the lost connection is a job for someone not me.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 10 Aug 2018, 16:20

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:31
Yeah, it ran off the battery after smoking the alternator, but when the alternator got replaced is when it did it lost spark. Probably some missing connection in there, but I think the engine came out of another car and it's all frankenwiring in there, so finding the lost connection is a job for someone not me.
Not for nuthin' but convincing the erstwhile offspring to invest in this would be a long way to restoration:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf- ... el/mustang
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 11 Aug 2018, 12:07

lunchstealer wrote:

And my place does set aside some time for classic/project cars. Also apparently 1970s now count as classic.
In Virginia right now you can get antique plates for any car built before 1992.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Aug 2018, 13:11

Kolohe wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 12:07
lunchstealer wrote:

In Virginia right now you can get antique plates for any car built before 1992.
Maryland's "Historic" registration is for cars built more than 20 years ago. We're only 3 years from our 2001 Accord being a "Historic" car.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Aug 2018, 14:42

I know this stuff intellectually, but ugh. And here in colored reddish, it's 32 years.

Which still gets you to '86, but now I'm only off in my mind by 13 years which I can live with.

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Aug 2018, 16:34

Face it, lunch, we're "classic".

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2018, 16:45

I use to be classic. But then they changed what class was. Now what I am is no class, and what class is seems weird and scary to me.
I Will Happen To You :arrow:

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 12 Aug 2018, 19:24

If you’re still looking, find out where & when the local cruise night is and go ask around. Someone will know somebody who is an expert on that exact car.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Aug 2018, 23:25

I bet "cruise night" isn't what I'm hoping it is.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Aug 2018, 00:32

Old people in cars! It will happen to you, Ellie!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Aug 2018, 02:07

Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 00:32
Old people in cars! It will happen to you, Ellie!
Specifically, old people driving around in and then looking at cars. Not old people gettin' it on in cars. Well not mostly.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Aug 2018, 07:01

It's still better than binging Eddie and the Cruisers and Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives!
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 Aug 2018, 08:33

My local is every Thursday at Goodies Drive In.

ETA - There's a cherry red '57 Chevy Bel Aire Convertable that shows up now and again that I'd kill for.