Questions for the Grylliade Non-Hive Mind

dhex

Re: Questions for the Grylliade Non-Hive Mind

Post by dhex » 20 Jul 2017, 09:10

that's a pretty strong restriction for non-company-issued devices (if it includes personal devices - which you could still use via cell signal, no?).
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 20 Jul 2017, 09:16

Y'all need VPNs.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Jul 2017, 09:20

It's not a restriction on using the company network, it's a restriction on any device that could record or store PII, that doesn't have a policy manager installed.

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Jul 2017, 09:31

ahh.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Jul 2017, 09:40

Sandy wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 09:16
Y'all need VPNs.
My company blocks pretty much every VPN. Also, it blocks most URL shorteners, which makes clicking a lot of links annoying.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Jul 2017, 09:42

Yes. That's how it works in financial services or really most places where personal info, financial data, or medical stuff are in play.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 20 Jul 2017, 09:47

Mo wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 09:40
Sandy wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 09:16
Y'all need VPNs.
My company blocks pretty much every VPN. Also, it blocks most URL shorteners, which makes clicking a lot of links annoying.
Yeah, I was thinking more of companies like Stevo's, where PII isn't really much of a thing.

Ironically, I have to worry about it and HIPPA, but there's not a big deal about such restrictions here, probably because most of the org is basically marketing.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Jul 2017, 12:27

Yeah, I think he does technical writing, not PII stuff, but if his org does enough of that stuff, they may be restrictive even for normies.

However, I think the problem for him is that his work PC is blocked and he doesn't have/use a PC at home. So he uses his phone for most stuff, and I guess twits and facepages are easy enough on a mobile screen, but forums not so much.

:cry:
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Jul 2017, 12:53

I mean, people could always just do work at work.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 20 Jul 2017, 13:51

Kolohe wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 12:53
I mean, people could always just do work at work.
Communist.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Aug 2017, 14:35

So there is a family of feral cats hanging out in my back yard. A mom and at least two or three kittens. No way am I qualified to capture them myself, but they need to go to a shelter. Can I call municipal animal control to come and get them?

EDIT: Apparently not. Municipal animal control doesn't pick up stray cats, which is dumb because they are probably the biggest menace as far as animals go.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Aug 2017, 15:53

I don't think retro-swing rockabilly has been a threat to public health since 1998 or so.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Aug 2017, 17:37

Hugh Akston wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 14:35
So there is a family of feral cats hanging out in my back yard. A mom and at least two or three kittens. No way am I qualified to capture them myself, but they need to go to a shelter. Can I call municipal animal control to come and get them?

EDIT: Apparently not. Municipal animal control doesn't pick up stray cats, which is dumb because they are probably the biggest menace as far as animals go.
A lot of animal shelters will lend you a trap.

r/cats etc will offer advice.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 21 Mar 2018, 09:48

Over the past couple of weeks, at work, I've gotten "Recall: blah blah..." email notifications, usually several minutes to half an hour after the original email was sent. In each case, the original email seemed fine, to me anyway; mostly just keeping the project conversation going.

Is there any sort of etiquette about these notifications if you've already read the original email and it's sitting in your inbox?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Mar 2018, 09:59

Are these emails from other people just trying to put the ball back in your court without actually doing any work? Or is this something being generated by your email system or local client? Or maybe something from someone else's email system? I've never seen that kind of thing.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Mar 2018, 10:10

I've only ever seen it used to correct a mistake in the recalled email, like they were sending reports from all the committees but forgot to include one.

Maybe they're confusing "recall" with "reply all"?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 21 Mar 2018, 10:30

Unsure. When it happened, the email was to a group of folks, both at my company and internally at theirs. This last one was specifically to us, or at least my boss, but there didn't seem to be any dicey info being shared that the sender then had second thoughts about, but I can't be sure of that either, of course.

The message in the body of the recall email is: [SENDER] would like to recall the message, "SUBJECT LINE". No idea if it's a system message or client-side.

It's just weird. I've never seen it before either, in my 11 years here, and then suddenly 2 or 3 times in the last month.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Mar 2018, 10:33

I used the recall feature a few times, usually when I'd sent something prematurely and had to gather more info.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Mar 2018, 10:42

Oh, *that* Recall is that they're trying to unsend the email that you've already gotten. It's someone found a feature that they think works one way, but it really doesn't because email doesn't work that way as an open protocol. So basically it sends out another message asking your server to ignore that it got that message, but since it's already passed it on to the client, it just tells you "Oh, this person screwed up."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Mar 2018, 11:02

Highway wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 10:42
Oh, *that* Recall is that they're trying to unsend the email that you've already gotten. It's someone found a feature that they think works one way, but it really doesn't because email doesn't work that way as an open protocol. So basically it sends out another message asking your server to ignore that it got that message, but since it's already passed it on to the client, it just tells you "Oh, this person screwed up."
Uh, no. If the email has not been opened, the recall will delete it from the inbox, at least in the versions I have seen. If the email has been opened, the sender gets a 'recall failed' notification.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Mar 2018, 11:12

Aresen wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 11:02
Highway wrote:
Uh, no. If the email has not been opened, the recall will delete it from the inbox, at least in the versions I have seen. If the email has been opened, the sender gets a 'recall failed' notification.
I got one just yesterday that didn't delete the original even though I hadn't read it. So my inbox looked like (all unread):

REPORTS #1 from Foo Bar
Recall: Microsoft Outlook would like to recall the message "REPORTS #1"
REPORTS #1 -- Second Try from Foo Bar
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Mar 2018, 11:35

Aresen wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 11:02
Highway wrote:
That's only if your email system is compliant with the email system that sends the recall and accepts recalls. Most are not.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 21 Mar 2018, 12:34

Fellas and Lady, my question was about etiquette around the recall notice once you've already read the original email. Don't really care how or why it works. ;)

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Mar 2018, 12:38

Jasper wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 12:34
Fellas and Lady, my question was about etiquette around the recall notice once you've already read the original email. Don't really care how or why it works. ;)
Just ignore it and the original email. I mean, if it's something incriminating or insulting, then you're going to remember it, but generally it's not that kind of stuff. Just another thing you don't have to deal with. :)

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Mar 2018, 12:50

Yeah, just pretend you never saw any of it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul