Questions for the Grylliade Non-Hive Mind

Ellie

Questions for the Grylliade Non-Hive Mind

Post by Ellie » 12 May 2010, 13:36

Post 'em here.

Mine is kind of weird, but whatever, I'm really curious.

You know that classic scene in books and movies, where a relative has to identify a body, so they go to the morgue and the attendant pulls the sheet off the corpse so they can look at it? I had never particularly questioned the trope, but a recent novel had a police officer explaining that it's completely made up, and in real life relatives only look at a picture of the deceased if it's not too upsetting (and if it is, the police use "other methods" to confirm the deceased's identity).

So I guess my question is: morgue-identification-sheet-reveal, fact or fiction? Does anyone know? Is it creepy that I care?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JasonL

Re: Questions for the Grylliade Non-Hive Mind

Post by JasonL » 12 May 2010, 13:37

Don't know now, but I can confirm with some friends in blue tonight.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 12 May 2010, 14:48

I don't know the answer, but I don't think it's creepy to wonder. Especially if you're a writer. You might need to know for a story.

(Stevo's First Law: Potentially any knowledge or experience we gain can be considered research for a future novel.)
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 May 2010, 14:57

as far as i know, it hasn't been in use in years and photos are used when necessary.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 May 2010, 10:05

Are guns made of iron?

I need to know for a poem I'm writing for a fake opening of a literary novel in a forum game.

Yeah.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 27 May 2010, 10:11

Off the top of my head: modern ones are made from steel. While old cannons and the like could have been (and probably were) made of iron, I'm fairly confident that small arms post-date the common use of steel. I'm not sure Iron is amenable to the short of fine machining and consistency that small arms require.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 May 2010, 10:38

Number 6 wrote:Off the top of my head: modern ones are made from steel. While old cannons and the like could have been (and probably were) made of iron, I'm fairly confident that small arms post-date the common use of steel. I'm not sure Iron is amenable to the short of fine machining and consistency that small arms require.
Steel being an alloy of iron and some other element. The first intentional steels were an iron/carbon alloy.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 27 May 2010, 10:40

J sub D wrote:
Number 6 wrote:Off the top of my head: modern ones are made from steel. While old cannons and the like could have been (and probably were) made of iron, I'm fairly confident that small arms post-date the common use of steel. I'm not sure Iron is amenable to the short of fine machining and consistency that small arms require.
Steel being an alloy of iron and some other element. The first intentional steels were an iron/carbon alloy.
Well, yes.
My small arms are, of course, all made from Reardon Metal. 'Cause I'm just that awesome.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 May 2010, 10:44

Number 6 wrote: My small arms are, of course, all made from Reardon Metal. 'Cause I'm just that awesome.
Can't afford adamantium?

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 27 May 2010, 11:02

J sub D wrote:
Number 6 wrote: My small arms are, of course, all made from Reardon Metal. 'Cause I'm just that awesome.
Can't afford adamantium?
I can, but I like the blue-green sheen of Reardon Metal. Besides, the metal for my guns (which don't use gunpowder. They're rail guns powered by a motor that uses static electricity) came from that big bridge on the John Galt Line.
Also, adamantium rusts if left in humid air. And cheaper grades can actually leave a stain on your skin.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 May 2010, 11:19

Number 6 wrote:
J sub D wrote:
Can't afford adamantium?
I can, but I like the blue-green sheen of Reardon Metal. Besides, the metal for my guns (which don't use gunpowder. They're rail guns powered by a motor that uses static electricity) came from that big bridge on the John Galt Line.
Also, adamantium rusts if left in humid air. And cheaper grades can actually leave a stain on your skin.
I love you (in a totally hetero way) for knowing WTF a rail gun is. We (the taxpayers) are paying big bucks for the R&D. It might be a dead end but if we come up with a working model ... game changer.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2010, 11:33

There are lots of working rail guns. You could build one in your basement. Room temperature super conductors would help, but even then you're gonna need a big honking power supply. The only way I see it as a game changer, is when we start developing the moon. A lunar rail launch system would be highly practical.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 27 May 2010, 11:38

Warren wrote:There are lots of working rail guns. You could build one in your basement. Room temperature super conductors would help, but even then you're gonna need a big honking power supply. The only way I see it as a game changer, is when we start developing the moon. A lunar rail launch system would be highly practical.
Especially if you stage a revolution, and your sentient computer (a fair dinkum thinkum, btw) tells you to throw rocks at earth.
But yeah. a reasonably sized, portable rail gun would be awesome. Think defense against missiles and the like.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 May 2010, 12:01

Warren wrote:There are lots of working rail guns. You could build one in your basement. Room temperature super conductors would help, but even then you're gonna need a big honking power supply. The only way I see it as a game changer, is when we start developing the moon. A lunar rail launch system would be highly practical.
In just my area of "expertise", a rail gun with a muzzle velocity of Mach 5+* combined with a closed loop tracking system would require rethinking everything about war at sea.

* That's what the engineers are trying to develop. We've already built a platform to mount it on if they succeed.
Last edited by J sub D on 27 May 2010, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2010, 12:04

Number 6 wrote:But yeah. a reasonably sized, portable rail gun would be awesome. Think defense against missiles and the like.
As I think about it. I got caught up on the power supply. It's just got to be big and heavy, no way around it. But then I thought, you could charge the caps ahead of time. You'd plug in your ammo clips before you went into the field. When I was a freshman, a friend and I built a Tesla coil and made our own capacitor. It was a very tricky problem. Eventually he was able to obtain some 50mil mylar to use as a dielectric. That did the job, but then our transformer shit the bed. Trying to control high power at high frequency is like trying to squeeze a balloon.

I don't know that you could make a capacitor that would be small as say a pack of cigarettes that could hold enough power to launch say a dozen bullets. But I don't know that you couldn't either.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2010, 12:09

J sub D wrote:In just my area of "expertise", a rail gun with a muzzle velocity of Mach 5+ combined with a closed loop tracking system would require rethinking everything about war at sea.
Does "closed loop tracking system" mean that you track the projectiles and adjust your aim for the next one? How would this make such a difference? We've been firing ordnance over the horizon for generations. Is it because you can fire so many?

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 May 2010, 12:12

Warren wrote:Does "closed loop tracking system" mean that you track the projectiles and adjust your aim for the next one? How would this make such a difference? We've been firing ordnance over the horizon for generations. Is it because you can fire so many?
Probably because you can fire them at a faster rate, with a higher muzzle velocity and further than you can with current conventional ordinance.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 May 2010, 12:29

Warren wrote:
J sub D wrote:In just my area of "expertise", a rail gun with a muzzle velocity of Mach 5+ combined with a closed loop tracking system would require rethinking everything about war at sea.
Does "closed loop tracking system" mean that you track the projectiles and adjust your aim for the next one? How would this make such a difference? We've been firing ordnance over the horizon for generations. Is it because you can fire so many?
CIWS was the first operational closed loop gun fire control system system unless you count marine spotters for naval gun fire support (NGFS).
An Arleigh Burke class destroyer can engage 90 air threats with Standard Missiles, total.*

Think of a 3" CIWS with a range of 50 NMi and a magazine capacity in the thousands. Game changer. A Firecontrolman's wet dream.

* Best case. She's going to have ASROCs, Harpoons and Tomahawks in the mix.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 May 2010, 13:11

Thanks! I decided steel had enough iron in it to count for poetic purposes.

Here's the poem/fake novel opening, in case anyone was curious, not that I really think they were:

In the desert, the night is beginning.
The sands disgorge the heat of the day
and secrets and dead men's bones.
Everything is beginning in the black star-spattered sky.
Your chains are iron and your boots are iron
and your blood is iron and your gun is iron.
First the ore and then the dark red rust.
Everything is beginning in the deep burrows of the earth.
With every step you begin a new journey.
At every meal you begin a new hunger.
In the desert, the day is beginning.
Soon you will begin to take your last breath.

- from the journal of Javier Acasta Gutierrez

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2010, 13:24

It doesn't rhyme.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 May 2010, 14:13

Warren wrote:It doesn't rhyme.
There once was a fellow named Warren
To whose mind poetry was quite foreign
If the lines didn't rhyme
Or scan, he'd opine
"That's not a poem. Poems rhyme. Everyone knows that!"

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 May 2010, 15:14

D.A. Ridgely wrote:There once was a fellow named Warren
To whose mind poetry was quite foreign
If the lines didn't rhyme
Or scan, he'd opine
"That's not a poem. Poems rhyme. Everyone knows that!"
I see what you did there.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 May 2010, 15:32

Number 6 wrote:
Especially if you stage a revolution, and your sentient computer (a fair dinkum thinkum, btw) tells you to throw rocks at earth.
But yeah. a reasonably sized, portable rail gun would be awesome. Think defense against missiles and the like.
Did anyone think having an omniscient panopticon central planner as your chief and most important ally seriously undercut the ostensible central theme?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 27 May 2010, 15:50

Kolohe wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Did anyone think having an omniscient panopticon central planner as your chief and most important ally seriously undercut the ostensible central theme?
Actually, yes. But it's still a good story.

Guns have been called "shooting irons," so the poetic conceit works even if it's not technically correct.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 27 May 2010, 18:42

I've visited the rail gun in Austin. Also, had a friend work there one summer, and to the best of his clearance, he was able to tell me they have a working small arms rapid fire model.

Also, Warren, the rail gun does not use DC. The real problem is the firing mechanism. In the big guy, the circuit is tripped with explosives.