When journalism goes bad

Ellie

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Ellie »

I also would not be surprised if western Oregon had a very high proportion of maker spaces per capita. :D
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jake wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 15:09
dead_elvis wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 14:22
Research will perhaps show a correlation between size of SCA chapters and makeshift shield production.
I think the SCA is the primary source of the distinctly non-makeshift shields seen at some protests. They're not using a drill and some bolts from the hardware store. They're using anvils and forges and shit.
I'll believe the SCA is involved when a mounted knight in armor shows up at one of the demonstrations. (Bonus points if he jousts with the mounted police officers.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jake

Post by Jake »

Aresen wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 20:43
Jake wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 15:09
dead_elvis wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 14:22
Research will perhaps show a correlation between size of SCA chapters and makeshift shield production.
I think the SCA is the primary source of the distinctly non-makeshift shields seen at some protests. They're not using a drill and some bolts from the hardware store. They're using anvils and forges and shit.
I'll believe the SCA is involved when a mounted knight in armor shows up at one of the demonstrations. (Bonus points if he jousts with the mounted police officers.)
The SCA doesn't do mounted combat. Too dangerous for the animals. And the people.

Ren Faire, on the other hand...
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

nicole

Post by nicole »

I wonder if they're also planning to have just 37.4% of their staff have a BA or greater level of education to match the city's educational makeup.

Perhaps they would also like for 24% or so of staff to be younger than 18.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

nicole wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 14:31

I wonder if they're also planning to have just 37.4% of their staff have a BA or greater level of education to match the city's educational makeup.

Perhaps they would also like for 24% or so of staff to be younger than 18.

... by undermining diversity and community reflection goals, and are literally violence against marginalized peoples.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Warren

Post by Warren »

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake »

Warren wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 01:06
Oh god, shoot me now...
amen
Atheists Are Sometimes More Religious Than Christians
Oh, FFS.

If you a) dump atheists into the same bucket with people who say, "I'm spiritual, but not religious" and people who say, "it's not a religion, it's a personal relationship with Jesus Christ", and b) stir them up and label that bucket "atheists", and c) are an idiot who doesn't understand how data works, then of course you're going to come away thinking that "atheists" are religious.
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I read that article and I don't even know exactly what the author even means by "religious atheist," but it seem to be "an atheist who takes part in ANY cultural activities with religious roots": if you give gifts for Christmas (or Hanukkah or any other gift-giving religious holiday), this means that deep down you're still practicing that religion, somehow?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren »

Jake has it right. If your only choices are:
  • Christian
  • Jew
  • Muslim
  • None
And you label all the "nones" "atheists" then are amazed to find out there's a bunch of Hindus, Spiritualists, etc. in that group.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Agree with the above. My mother was a deist - she believed there was something but did not belong to any religious group, per se. (She did attend the Unitarian Church, but that was mainly because they were socially liberal the way she was.)

My father was an atheist, but attended the Unitarian Church for the same reason.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JD

Post by JD »

Aresen wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 16:54
Agree with the above. My mother was a deist - she believed there was something but did not belong to any religious group, per se. (She did attend the Unitarian Church, but that was mainly because they were socially liberal the way she was.)

My father was an atheist, but attended the Unitarian Church for the same reason.
You know what Unitarians do when they're mad at you? Burn a question mark on your lawn.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 18:03
Aresen wrote:

You know what Unitarians do when they're mad at you? Burn a question mark on your lawn.
Or the old line about how their most central dogma is that there is, at most, one god.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Eric the .5b wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 18:18
JD wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 18:03
Aresen wrote:

Or the old line about how their most central dogma is that there is, at most, one god.
And coffee is his/her/its* sacrament.

*Insert other pronouns according to preferred identity.

nicole

Post by nicole »

mr burns.gif
mr burns.gif (374.73 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

This business of reporters now doing instant fact-checking on what in the past would have been neutrally regurgitated statements is leading to some weird places, namely that a reporter now claims to know the mind of God and/or the heart of another man. In addition to all the theological issues inherent in assuming a practicing Catholic is "with God".
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 11.21.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 11.21.23 AM.png (32.26 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Last edited by dead_elvis on 07 Aug 2020, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

dead_elvis wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 14:35
theological issues inherent in assuming a practicing Catholic is "with God".
Look, Jesus was Catholic. I mean, he was raised by Jose and Maria.
Last edited by thoreau on 07 Aug 2020, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 14:37
dead_elvis wrote:
Look, Jesus was Cath. I mean, he was raised by Jose and Maria.
Jesus was a nice Jewish boy whose mother probably wished he'd gone into the Scribe or Pharisee business.

FWIW, I think it's legitimate for one politician to claim the other's religious beliefs or lack thereof should be considered by voters. I don't think they should, in fact, consider them but politics isn't an appeal to reason.

What I find hilarious about Trump's latest attempted attack was saying that Biden "... hurt the Bible. Hurt God." Really? Politicians can hurt God? Or, for that matter, the Bible? Do those claims even make sense to Trump supporters?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 15:05
thoreau wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 14:37
dead_elvis wrote:
Look, Jesus was Cath. I mean, he was raised by Jose and Maria.
Jesus was a nice Jewish boy whose mother probably wished he'd gone into the Scribe or Pharisee business.

FWIW, I think it's legitimate for one politician to claim the other's religious beliefs or lack thereof should be considered by voters. I don't think they should, in fact, consider them but politics isn't an appeal to reason.

What I find hilarious about Trump's latest attempted attack was saying that Biden "... hurt the Bible. Hurt God." Really? Politicians can hurt God?
Clearly not, from a purely theological point of view, at least not in the Abrahamic theologies. But I do wish God had lived long enough to see this. I think he'd have been touched by Trump's concern.
Or, for that matter, the Bible? Do those claims even make sense to Trump supporters?

Is worship word. Yang worship.

More seriously, the nonsensical nature is a feature, not a bug. Making worshipful noises to the religion of Real Murka Owning teh Libs is a place where being brazenly nonsensical is a good thing. Using sense or reason to craft your arguments would imply that reason or sense are more important than the worship of Real Murka Owning teh Libs. Being careful to only use god/capitalism in ways that make sense makes you suspect, because you may not REALLY be on board if you subordinate worship below petty concerns like making a sensible, thoughtful argument. The way to prove your loyalty is to be as idiotic in your cheerleading as possible. Spouting obvious bullshit shows that you make worship superior to sense/reason. You are so committed to the cause that you'll gush the stupidest, stinkiest rhetorical effluent with the full knowledge that you're making a fool of yourself, because by god I'd be PROUD to look like a complete asshole with feces-flecked drool dangling from my chin because AMERICA. You're not some pansy-ass poindexter who's afraid to look like an asshole. You can't trust those guys in a fight.

EDIT: See also, Bernistas using "capitalism" for every stupid bit of bullshit no matter how completely unrelated to capitalism it may be. Sure you could stop to think about whether your rhetoric makes the slightest bit of sense, but who does that when JUSTICE is on the line!?!?!!

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 15:05
Well that's gonna be a matter of what those beliefs are. Kennedy had to answer for his religious beliefs and I think he made a satisfactory answer that I would have felt I need not concern myself about his religious beliefs. I don't think the religious beliefs of any president since were worth considering (Democrat pearl clutching over Republican presidents notwithstanding). However, Romney was goaded into answering for his religious beliefs and AFAIC his answer made him unacceptable for public office.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Kennedy only won because he ran against a pacifist Quaker.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 17:13
Yeah. I don't think either of them put their religious beliefs ahead of their political expediency, so I wouldn't have given consideration to them.

It does make you wonder how things would have gone had the pacifist won before the Papist war monger got us into an unwinnable war.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:
How are things over on Earth-13? Did Trump win there or do you have President Hillary Clinton?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 17:23
Hugh Akston wrote:
How are things over on Earth-13? Did Trump win there or do you have President Hillary Clinton?
Nixon was actually a Quaker, and Quakers are doctrinarily pacifist, but obvs Nixon's quakerism had no influence on his handling of the war machine. Which is Hugh's joke.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 18:31
Aresen wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Nixon was actually a Quaker, and Quakers are doctrinarily pacifist, but obvs Nixon's quakerism had no influence on his handling of the war machine. Which is Hugh's joke.
I know Nixon was a Quaker, but he kind of blew off the pacifism by serving in WW2. The thing with Kennedy's Catholicism was that he did a 'reverse discrimination' play on it: The South was still a Democrat stronghold in 1960, but a lot of the Southern Baptists were anti-Catholic and threatening to bolt the Democratic party. Kennedy confronted them directly in a 'you don't want to desert the party because you're a bigot, do you?' move.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 18:48
lunchstealer wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 18:31
Aresen wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
I know Nixon was a Quaker, but he kind of blew off the pacifism by serving in WW2. The thing with Kennedy's Catholicism was that he did a 'reverse discrimination' play on it: The South was still a Democrat stronghold in 1960, but a lot of the Southern Baptists were anti-Catholic and threatening to bolt the Democratic party. Kennedy confronted them directly in a 'you don't want to desert the party because you're a bigot, do you?' move.
Southern Democrats has no problem what so ever in being bigots, outspoken bigots even, in 1960.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT