When journalism goes bad

Pham Nuwen

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Churches isn't bad but its Popeyes by a mile.

Disclaimer: I eat popeyes only about once or twice a year. I'm not a friend chicken fan and that includes wings.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

My filthiest culinary escapades usually involve fried chicken. There is no level of cheap and awful I don't enjoy. Wings, spicy, grocery store, those awful popcorn nuggets, I'll eat it all. To me there is Really Good then a whole lot of fast food tier that is mostly the same quality. It's something about the salt and gummy collagen and crispy exterior texture.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 11:54
My filthiest culinary escapades usually involve fried chicken. There is no level of cheap and awful I don't enjoy. Wings, spicy, grocery store, those awful popcorn nuggets, I'll eat it all. To me there is Really Good then a whole lot of fast food tier that is mostly the same quality. It's something about the salt and gummy collagen and crispy exterior texture.
Cosign. There are several places in LA that make claims about having the best chicken in town, but they all just taste like fried chicken. Popeye's is doing their own thing and it's delicious.
Last edited by Hugh Akston on 04 Jun 2020, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

For crispy fried chicken, Popeye's wins fairly easily, though I personally don't like the original spicy version. Once in a while, say what you will about it, I get a hankering (as they say in Texas) for KFC original recipe, which is also my preferred next day leftover refrigerated fried chicken. What can I say? I grew up with the Colonel.

Highway

Post by Highway »

Like with pizza, I am able to compartmentalize fried chicken, so that Popeyes, KFC, and Royal Farms (local gas station / convenience store) are all separate. I like all of them, although sometimes I prefer one or another.

I like KFC chicken, the problem is that all of their stores are... not places I want to go. Basically, they're all in the 'hood. And even worse, they're mostly shared with Taco Bell. And even the best KFC stores are just covered in a thick layer of grease. It just happens if you are not super on top of cleaning. I used to work in a Big T Family Restaurant, which was a Tastee-Freez store with a bunch of food including fried chicken, and it really just ends up everywhere.

I like Popeyes, and the one here just recently changed the ownership / management and that's made it a lot better, but before then it was a great way to spend the afternoon on the toilet.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole »

Yeah, I'm a KFC lover first, but I also love Popeye's and also Team JasonL/Hugh.

I haven't had fried chicken at all since before the lockdown and as of this minute it's my most-missed thing (I just got back from the lake!!!!!!!!)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 11:59
For crispy fried chicken, Popeye's wins fairly easily, though I personally don't like the original spicy version. Once in a while, say what you will about it, I get a hankering (as they say in Texas) for KFC original recipe, which is also my preferred next day leftover refrigerated fried chicken. What can I say? I grew up with the Colonel.
Yeah, but the chicken that KFC makes today is not anything close to what Kentucky Fried Chicken made when I was a kid.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway »

nicole wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 12:47
Yeah, I'm a KFC lover first, but I also love Popeye's and also Team JasonL/Hugh.

I haven't had fried chicken at all since before the lockdown and as of this minute it's my most-missed thing (I just got back from the lake!!!!!!!!)
I find that Popeyes actually has the best android app of fast food restaurants I've used, and makes it pretty easy to just pick up from drive-thru.

We got it a couple weeks ago.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Highway wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 13:13
nicole wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 12:47

I find that Popeyes actually has the best android app of fast food restaurants I've used, and makes it pretty easy to just pick up from drive-thru.

We got it a couple weeks ago.
Team JasonL/Hugh as well. Right into my veins (arteries) as they say.

Learning that there is a Popeye's app (why wouldn't there be?) is a dangerous bit of knowledge. There's one between work and home that I drive by every day.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Hugh Akston wrote:
There are several places in LA that make claims about having the best chicken in town,
Curious if you've been to Gus's. They come from Memphis/W. Tennessee and is for my money the best I've had. Saw that they opened a few L.A. area locations. Am curious if they have been able to maintain quality while expanding that far away, but timing hasn't been right to try one up there.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Warren wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 12:54
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Yeah, but the chicken that KFC makes today is not anything close to what Kentucky Fried Chicken made when I was a kid.
When I was a kid the KFC in town was a dump that had a terrible reputation and eventually went bust. Local franchising FTL.

Through adult life I used to like KFC once in a while as a decadent treat but my bowels have decided that can't happen anymore.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

When I lived in Osaka, there was this 7-11 type place called Lawsons. Ubiquitous. They had a chicken nugget dispenser that gave you 100g of the breadiest nuggets ever in a bag, then you pick a seasoning and shake the bag. Like 20 seasoning choices - seaweed, sesame, chili, soy, msg, seafood with like dried shrimp and fish flakes, lemon pepper, and on and on. I would literally eat that shit until i got sick all the while talking about how terrible it was.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I haven't had fried chicken since well before the pandemic started, but I still think KFC original recipe (dark meat) is the best fried chicken anywhere. Even better than the chicken I've had at various "OMG you've GOT to try the fried chicken here, it's why this restaurant has been a local institution since before World War Two"-type places. (The restaurants often/usually have better side dishes than the Colonel, but his chicken can't be beat.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dead_elvis wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 14:23
Hugh Akston wrote:
There are several places in LA that make claims about having the best chicken in town,
Curious if you've been to Gus's. They come from Memphis/W. Tennessee and is for my money the best I've had. Saw that they opened a few L.A. area locations. Am curious if they have been able to maintain quality while expanding that far away, but timing hasn't been right to try one up there.
I have actually. My place in Glendale was right down the road from one of their locations. They're pretty good, but they didn't challenge the belief that fried chicken is fried chicken.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Popeyes has by far the best seasoning. (There's also some local bias here.)

The best _texture_ I've had is either at high-end restaurants, or the stuff I make myself. (If you wanna make it at home: sous vide chicken thighs at like 150 for a couple hours or two, _then_ fry for just a few minutes super hot. That way you get a super crispy exterior without overcooking the interior.)

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 14:33
When I lived in Osaka, there was this 7-11 type place called Lawsons. Ubiquitous. They had a chicken nugget dispenser that gave you 100g of the breadiest nuggets ever in a bag, then you pick a seasoning and shake the bag. Like 20 seasoning choices - seaweed, sesame, chili, soy, msg, seafood with like dried shrimp and fish flakes, lemon pepper, and on and on. I would literally eat that shit until i got sick all the while talking about how terrible it was.
This gave me joy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

For American fried chicken, it's Popeye's all the way, but cosign Jason on an all of the above feeling on fried chicken. When I was younger I used to say, "Why is it a stereotype that black people love fried chicken and watermelon? Who the fuck doesn't love fried chicken and watermelon?" My prefered fried chicken is definitely Bonchon. I can't wait until I can leave the Korean Fried Chicken desert of London and get to Asia.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 04:53
When I was younger I used to say, "Why is it a stereotype that black people love fried chicken and watermelon? Who the fuck doesn't love fried chicken and watermelon?"
I was the same.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The explanation I've heard is because it involved the implication, back in the day, that black people liked to steal chickens and watermelons. I've seen no substantiation of that, though. I do know black people eating fried chicken and watermelons was a thing in minstrel show-type imagery.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Watermelons and chicken, were and still are, based on my shopping experiences, about the cheapest thing around in their respective categories ( fruit and meat), so I imagine insofar that economic class is correlated with race in America, and even more so 19th century America, certain consumption habit observations became nasty stereotypes.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Kolohe wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 14:43
Watermelons and chicken, were and still are, based on my shopping experiences, about the cheapest thing around in their respective categories ( fruit and meat), so I imagine insofar that economic class is correlated with race in America, and even more so 19th century America, certain consumption habit observations became nasty stereotypes.
That doesn't sound right for the 19th and early 20th century, because chicken used to be more expensive. That's why "A Chicken for Every Pot" was a Hoover advertisement touting the prosperity Team Red would bring, back in 1928.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 14:47
Kolohe wrote:
That doesn't sound right for the 19th and early 20th century, because chicken used to be more expensive. That's why "A Chicken for Every Pot" was a Hoover advertisement touting the prosperity Team Red would bring, back in 1928.
Expensive compared to what? Cow? Pig? Sheep?

Chickens are easy to bread and easy to care for. They eat bugs and worms.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Warren wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 15:04
Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 14:47
Kolohe wrote:
Expensive compared to what? Cow? Pig? Sheep?
Expensive compared to pretty much every other form of meat commonly available at the time. IIRC, it wasn't until the 1960s that chicken (at least in America/First World countries) became more of a "common everyday" food rather than a special-occasion thing. (Also, today's chickens are far bigger and meatier than the chickens of yore, and thanks to artificial lighting and other modern developments the egg-layers can produce eggs pretty much year-round rather than shut down for winter, and so forth.
Chickens are easy to bread and easy to care for. They eat bugs and worms.
Chickens are murderously hierarchal bastards who will gladly peck each other to death if Farmer John doesn't keep an eye out to prevent it. And they're popular food sources for various predatory birds and animals of the type who like to hunt on human-owned farms. In the days when the numerical majority of the population were farmers, having chickens was an indication of prosperity, and having chickens in sufficient numbers that you could actually eat eggs on a more-or-less regular basis indicated your were super-well-off by the standards of the day.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 15:14
Expensive compared to pretty much every other form of meat commonly available at the time. IIRC, it wasn't until the 1960s that chicken (at least in America/First World countries) became more of a "common everyday" food rather than a special-occasion thing. (Also, today's chickens are far bigger and meatier than the chickens of yore, and thanks to artificial lighting and other modern developments the egg-layers can produce eggs pretty much year-round rather than shut down for winter, and so forth.
I don't remember if the article was posted here, but here's an interesting piece about when Bush and Gorbachev signed a trade deal and American chickens (particularly legs, which became known as "Bush's legs") became available in Russia:
"Each Bush leg was the size of a Soviet chicken," recalls Anya Ulinich, laughing. She is a writer in Brooklyn now, but in 1990 she was a teenager in Moscow. "Or at least it seemed sort of that way. It was like an elephant next to a Chihuahua."

While these days consumers may pay top dollar for a small, flavorful heritage breed, back then, the Soviet chicken stock was not a source of pride, Ulinich explains. "All these jokes were always made about the Soviet chicken — that it ran a marathon, or several. Or it got an award for being the longest-lived chicken. They were kind of scrawny and blue and dark."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I kinda feel like it's not fair to journalism to even apply that term to this shit sandwich, but this is almost joyously stupid in its constitutional understanding. Like the @BadLegalTakes guy's head would explode.

America Is Facing A Third Amendment Crisis

And to comment on this from a few posts back...

Jasper wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 09:33
Truth.

Last year we tried Bojangle's chicken on the drive back north from FL, based on recc by Greg Doucette, a libertarianish lawyer with a good twitter feed that a few of you already seem to be familiar with.

Popeye's is better.
Holy shit his thread on instances of riot police's casual violence is literally bad for my mental health. Last I checked a day or so ago it was at 200+ posts, and that was before the Buffalo cops tried to kill that one guy.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake