When journalism goes bad

Eric the .5b

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Eric the .5b »

What, I don't even...

Weren't these people angrily warning that gay marriage would be their casus belli for a civil war a few years back?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 17:47
I know it's Fox Business, so 'journalism' is a stretch, but even so, this is just unbelievable throughout, and then that plot twist at the end...
First I was all :roll: but then the punchline and I :lol:
It’s not that I don’t have a voice it’s that everyone else is living wrong and I don’t get a veto. - JasonL

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

EVERYTHING IS CRISIS.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Only 11 states have fully legalized weed. If the other 39 would just do it, maybe things would calm down. (Or, at least, nobody would care if they didn't calm down.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Wut

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

ABC apologizes for mistaking Kentucky gun range video for Turkish bombing of Syria
ABC issued a correction and apology Monday for reportedly using video from a Kentucky gun range while falsely claiming it depicted a fierce battle between Syrian Kurds and Turkish forces.
The network aired the footage on Sunday night and Monday morning, framing it as battlefield video, when, in fact, it appears to be from a night gun demonstration at the Knob Creek Gun Range in West Point, Kentucky.
I can't help but feel a kind of unearned pride from this.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I really don't have a dog in the fight of my workplace's student newspaper, but MY GOD is it annoying me on principle.

The student newspaper comes out once per month. First of all, what even is the point of that? Why the newspaper format?

Second, you have an entire month to come up with content and this is the best you can do for page 2?
Fall activity.PNG
Fall activity.PNG (239.33 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Finally, the paper ALSO devotes AN ENTIRE PAGE to a "review" (in truth, just a long, rambling summary) of one YouTuber's video series about another YouTuber, some makeup dude named Jeffree Star. I don't think I've ever watched a makeup video in my life and even I know that Jeffree Star is considered "problematic." (Mostly transgressions in the vein of "he said the n-word in a video ten years ago!") If the reviewer is going to gush about how she "loves the drama in the beauty community" I'd expect a mention of that, even a slight nod like calling him a "polarizing performer" or something. But no. Instead we get a full page of deathless prose like, "The meet and greet goes well, and nothing too crazy happens, except they meet over 1,000 fans"; "Star and Dawson keep talking, and Star decides to show Dawson a new lipstick color for the collaboration. It’s a brown shimmery liquid lipstick, which I think looks amazing"; and "In May, Charles and Star got into an online feud ending with Charles ending his contract with Star’s merchandise company. This conflict was tea, which is drama within the social media community."

I am just sitting here being PERSONALLY OFFENDED at how terrible this issue of the newspaper is. I will get over it, but not anytime soon. The end.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Drama in the Beauty Community would be a good glam rock group name.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 12:35
Drama in the Beauty Community would be a good glam rock group name.
For the group? Maybe better for the front queen?
It’s not that I don’t have a voice it’s that everyone else is living wrong and I don’t get a veto. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I want that guy to explain why he ignores Jazz in winter, spring, and summer.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 12:32
What guy?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 13:26
lunchstealer wrote:
What guy?
Did you read Ellie's thing?

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 14:00
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
What guy?
Back when she posted it.
I don't think listening to autumn jazz implies ignoring other seasonal jazz.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 14:10
lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
What guy?
Back when she posted it.
Yeah, I assume that's the case, actually, but it's kind of weird to answer a question about what you like to do in the fall with something that you do year-round.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 19:04
Warren wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 14:10
lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
What guy?
Back when she posted it.
Yeah, I assume that's the case, actually, but it's kind of weird to answer a question about what you like to do in the fall with something that you do year-round.
Autumn jazz is a thing.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Is it, tho?

Like, most of the big festivals are summer, except Monterrey. I mean, "Autumn Leaves" is a standard but that doesn't make a subgenre of Jazz. I just can't think of any seasonality to Jazz that would make it a 'fall activity'. I mean, 'taking pictures' could make sense because if you take outdoor photos there are often days of low humidity and clear air that makes for good 'golden hour' light, and the 'golden hour' is conveniently mid-evening rather than late evening in summer or late afternoon in winter. County fairs are fall harvest things. Hunting season is fall in most locales. Fall has good hiking weather, and obviously seeing the beautiful fall colors is literally only possible in fall. But the only fall-related music I can think of is marching band music at football games.

I'm open to education on the subject of autumn Jazz but I'm probably better versed in Jazz than most Americans and I've never heard of such a thing. I even queried a certain erstwhile Grylliader with a BA in Jazz theory and composition and he wasn't familiar with the idea.

I mean, this is a very trivial discussion, but it's just so damn weird to specifically call out Jazz for 'fall activity'. I really do feel that this guy owes mankind an explanation for this weirdness.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 11:44
Is it, tho?

Like, most of the big festivals are summer, except Monterrey. I mean, "Autumn Leaves" is a standard but that doesn't make a subgenre of Jazz. I just can't think of any seasonality to Jazz that would make it a 'fall activity'. I mean, 'taking pictures' could make sense because if you take outdoor photos there are often days of low humidity and clear air that makes for good 'golden hour' light, and the 'golden hour' is conveniently mid-evening rather than late evening in summer or late afternoon in winter. County fairs are fall harvest things. Hunting season is fall in most locales. Fall has good hiking weather, and obviously seeing the beautiful fall colors is literally only possible in fall. But the only fall-related music I can think of is marching band music at football games.

I'm open to education on the subject of autumn Jazz but I'm probably better versed in Jazz than most Americans and I've never heard of such a thing. I even queried a certain erstwhile Grylliader with a BA in Jazz theory and composition and he wasn't familiar with the idea.

I mean, this is a very trivial discussion, but it's just so damn weird to specifically call out Jazz for 'fall activity'. I really do feel that this guy owes mankind an explanation for this weirdness.
Autumn Jazz isn't so much a sub genre, more like a Christmas Album.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=autumn+jazz&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Well yeah but the same is true for the other seasons and GOD DAMN IT KID THAT'S JUST BIZARRE also pls just say listening to Jazz not Jazz music everyone knows it's music you don't say I like Ford Mustang cars so don't say Jazz music.

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:23
Well yeah but the same is true for the other seasons...
The thing is, it really isn't. But I think we've talked this out.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:36
lunchstealer wrote:
Summer and Winter Jazz searches get similar results, and spring gets similar albums interspersed with a bunch of albums and songs that have 'Spring' in their titles, so I mean, I can't see a special fall/autumn jazz connection that doesn't exist for other seasons. If DAR or someone else wants to chime in, that's cool. I mean, again it's trivial so I'm not actually worked up, but damn it strikes me as weird.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 15:34
Warren wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:36
lunchstealer wrote:
Summer and Winter Jazz searches get similar results, and spring gets similar albums interspersed with a bunch of albums and songs that have 'Spring' in their titles, so I mean, I can't see a special fall/autumn jazz connection that doesn't exist for other seasons. If DAR or someone else wants to chime in, that's cool. I mean, again it's trivial so I'm not actually worked up, but damn it strikes me as weird.
It makes no sense to me. I mean, I sort of get how some people could associate the jazz they listen to if and when they listen to jazz as part of a gestalt that feels somehow autumnal to them, but I more likely free-associate some urban night scene, slick rainy streets and open tenement windows, smoke filled cafes, that sort of thing.

But I'm not much on sub-genres. It would never have occurred to me until I read about it here that there was such a thing as Yacht Rock. *shrug*

Mo

Post by Mo »

Speaking of jazz...

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ah, thanks for clearing THAT up!
Employers favor men not because they are prejudiced against women, but because they have the perception that men perform better on average at certain tasks.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I date women not because I'm straight, but because I think women are attractive and men are not.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jadagul wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 16:38
I date women not because I'm straight, but because I think women are attractive and men are not.
If I were gay, I'd smack you for that.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex