When journalism goes bad

thoreau

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by thoreau » 23 Jun 2019, 18:32

Kolohe wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 16:17
Both Pakistan and Turkey are, while not Switzerland, objectively more democratic than Iran (esp since Musharraf left).
I'd put a question mark over Turkey, but I see your point.
Iraq is also more democratic than Iran, and possibly converging with Turkey and Pakistan in how much.
True, but it isn't clear how much authority the kind-of-democratic Iraqi government actually has over its territory. They have a democracy that might matter less than local chiefs.
I will grant that Iran is more pluralistic in politics than any member of the GCC, as well as more pluralistic culturally than Saudi Arabia.
Talk about damning with faint praise!

One thing that Iran has going for it is that their cultural pluralism exists alongside a more-or-less-cohesive national identity. While Iran certainly has minorities who may not see themselves as all that Iranian, the big 2 linguistic groups seem pretty committed to Iran. I know Azeri-speaking Iranians who see themselves as most definitely Iranian, linguistic differences notwithstanding. Their ancestors spoke Iranian languages and were part of Iranian civilization for thousands of years, then there was a Turkish invasion from Central Asia, but they remain part of Iranian civilization. Hell, I know Kurdish Iranians who see themselves as heirs to Iranian civilization.

I'm sure that somebody somewhere in Iran would be willing to fight their central government in the name of ethnic pride, but they'd be going up against a shitload of Iranian nationalists who don't give a fuck about the Islamic Republic but will fight to the death for Iran.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jun 2019, 19:02

Even Iranian Jews see themselves as Iranian (and dress like it). You get rid of the Ayatollahs and they're back in it in a hot second.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jun 2019, 19:20

Mo wrote:Even Iranian Jews see themselves as Iranian (and dress like it).
So Guidos with money, basically?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Jun 2019, 19:55

Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis and Persepolis 2 (excellent books, BTW) showed that in her books about revolutionary and pre-revolutionary Iran -- she was raised secular upper-class Muslim -- kinda like the Iranian equivalent of upscale American Episcopalians, among all Christianity flavors here -- but one of her best friends was an Iranian Jew, Satrapi herself really loved the old fire-festivals and things lifted from Zoroastrianism, everybody bragged on Cyrus the Great (who really was a HELL of a more tolerant and humane leader than anyone by the standards of his time -- even many modern governments would do well to take a couple pages from his playbook) ... and none of the supported the Islamic revolution or revolutionaries.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Jun 2019, 06:17

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 15:02
A healthy chunk of the media is actually liberal.
I don't see what that relates to.
Mo’s comment upthread.

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jun 2019, 07:45

JasonL wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 06:17
Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 15:02
A healthy chunk of the media is actually liberal.
I don't see what that relates to.
Mo’s comment upthread.
I would counter that the media is white and urban, with the biases that underlie that. That leads to more anti-gun, socially liberal beliefs, but also pretty credulous when it comes to law enforcement and foreign adventurism. For a liberal media, it seems odd that accusations of rape against a Republican president doesn't even note mention in the biggest outlets.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Jun 2019, 08:14

It was the treatment of Obama not the treatment of trump that I found most convincing of a leftward media bias. Embarrassing pandering no critical questions ever for any reason. I actually think they took headlines right out of the Obama press office. White urbanite has sufficient overlap with what I mean I probably wouldn’t fight you on it.

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jun 2019, 08:21

I think it’s because they liked Obama and he was adept at playing the media. One only needs to look at how they pressed Clinton (both) to see its not solely a blue thing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2019, 10:05

Mo wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 08:21
I think it’s because they liked Obama and he was adept at playing the media. One only needs to look at how they pressed Clinton (both) to see its not solely a blue thing.
I'm sorry. Did you just say the Media pressed Bill Clinton?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2019, 18:42

Never let it be said that The Sun has any grasp of economics:

Giant golden asteroid contains enough heavy metals to make everyone on Earth a billionaire
As well as gold, the mysterious object is loaded with heaps of platinum, iron and nikel.

In total, it's estimated that Psyche's various metals are worth a gargantuan £8,000 quadrillion.

That means if we carried it back to Earth, it would destroy commodity prices and cause the world's economy – worth £59.5trillion – to collapse.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 26 Jun 2019, 18:48

That last paragraph is dead on about commodity prices, less so on the economy.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2019, 18:56

Mo wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 18:48
That last paragraph is dead on about commodity prices, less so on the economy.
I was thinking about the economy part. I wonder how many more uses there would be for gold if its price were comparable to copper.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 26 Jun 2019, 18:58

Basically all wiring would be silver instead of copper. Electricity prices and loss would go way down.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Jun 2019, 19:01

The asteroid is 200 km in diameter. I just did a back-of-the-envelope calculation, and generating enough energy to change its orbit would probably require a fusion reactor that uses a large chunk of the earth's deuterium.

So I'm going to bet that silver prices are not about to plummet.
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2019, 19:07

Mo wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 18:58
Basically all wiring would be silver instead of copper. Electricity prices and loss would go way down.
Wiring would be the most obvious change, but I bet materials engineers could do a lot with plentiful gold and iridium.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Jun 2019, 19:22

thoreau wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 19:01
The asteroid is 200 km in diameter. I just did a back-of-the-envelope calculation, and generating enough energy to change its orbit would probably require a fusion reactor that uses a large chunk of the earth's deuterium.
On the other hand, if we took any random 200km-diameter sphere of the planet that's right here—we can all be billionaires! Wait, there's a lot of 200km spheres we could make out of the Earth—bazillionaires!

I assume capitalism is the thing keeping this from happening. :D
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jun 2019, 19:26

Gold is a fantastic metal with properties that suggest all manner of uses. Great heat conductor, even better electrical conductor, is uniquely malleable down to the atomic level and most extraordinarily does not oxidize. I've never looked into what kind of industrial alloys you can make with gold. Mostly it's combined with other metals to make it harder (ala "crown gold") so that coins minted from it don't wear as much.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Jun 2019, 19:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 19:22
thoreau wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 19:01
On the other hand, if we took any random 200km-diameter sphere of the planet that's right here—we can all be billionaires! Wait, there's a lot of 200km spheres we could make out of the Earth—bazillionaires!

I assume capitalism is the thing keeping this from happening. :D
See, the Democratic candidates' platforms are TOTALLY affordable!
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Jun 2019, 08:23

Warren wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 19:26
Gold is a fantastic metal with properties that suggest all manner of uses. Great heat conductor, even better electrical conductor, is uniquely malleable down to the atomic level and most extraordinarily does not oxidize. I've never looked into what kind of industrial alloys you can make with gold. Mostly it's combined with other metals to make it harder (ala "crown gold") so that coins minted from it don't wear as much.
Gold is an inferior to copper as an electrical conductor. It's plated on electrical connectors because it does not oxidize, but for insulated wires, where oxidization isn't a concern, you're better off with copper.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Jun 2019, 09:44

Mo wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 08:23
Warren wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 19:26
Gold is an inferior to copper as an electrical conductor. It's plated on electrical connectors because it does not oxidize, but for insulated wires, where oxidization isn't a concern, you're better off with copper.
true
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Jun 2019, 01:25

Tell it to Radio Shack, which managed to survive a good ten to twenty years longer than it should have selling gold-plated audio connectors until Monster Cable proved that, especially among audiophiles, there really is always going to be a greater fool.

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Jun 2019, 06:52

Gold plating on connectors has value because the gold won’t oxidize, so you don’t need to worry about the connection getting worse over time. It’s just that you wouldn’t replace gold for copper as wiring even without the price difference. Silver,OTOH, would be a superior wire.