When journalism goes bad

Mo

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 19 Feb 2019, 07:57

Oh Alabama, please stop trying to make Florida feel better about itself.

https://eu.montgomeryadvertiser.com/sto ... 910436002/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Mar 2019, 10:54

More about the layout than journalism but while the story of how this woman got to run this paper is interesting enough this grabbed my attention; is there really no possible way to avoid that?
Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 7.28.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 7.28.50 AM.png (488.13 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Mar 2019, 11:37

Hahaha yes there are easy ways to avoid full justification splits.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Mar 2019, 15:01

That whole page needs to be declared a state disaster area.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Mar 2019, 15:31

Fewer columns would have fixed that.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Mar 2019, 15:52

That or tweaking the font size and/or replacing the slash with an "and"
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Mar 2019, 06:29

Hugh Akston wrote:That or tweaking the font size and/or replacing the slash with an "and"
You still have “D e m o c r a t” and “ Dexter. My”.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Mar 2019, 12:41

Mo wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 06:29
Hugh Akston wrote:That or tweaking the font size and/or replacing the slash with an "and"
You still have “D e m o c r a t” and “ Dexter. My”.
Allow me to reference my earlier codicil about how the whole page is a disaster. I'm willing to bet there are two spaces after periods in that trash fire of a layout.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Mar 2019, 16:59

Jesus, even old-fashioned Bibles don't use such narrow-margined columns. That's a freaking mess.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Mar 2019, 18:16

No shocker, the NYT editorial board doesn't understand risk and how it's not all black n white:
Mr. Elwell has insisted that the F.A.A. made its decisions solely on the basis of safety. But if safety was the only consideration, then any risk would have warranted action.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Mar 2019, 18:50

Kwix wrote:No shocker, the NYT editorial board doesn't understand risk and how it's not all black n white:
Mr. Elwell has insisted that the F.A.A. made its decisions solely on the basis of safety. But if safety was the only consideration, then any risk would have warranted action.
True. Though this FAA action seemed much more focused on first order cost benefit analysis than looking at the second and third order effects. I.e. if there was an accident on an American 737, how would that affect flying decisions in the near term and how much legitimacy would there be if there was another borderline call. There aren’t enough 737 Max 8s in the US where the 1st order costs were that high.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 15 Mar 2019, 20:03

Mo wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 18:50
Kwix wrote:No shocker, the NYT editorial board doesn't understand risk and how it's not all black n white:
True. Though this FAA action seemed much more focused on first order cost benefit analysis than looking at the second and third order effects. I.e. if there was an accident on an American 737, how would that affect flying decisions in the near term and how much legitimacy would there be if there was another borderline call. There aren’t enough 737 Max 8s in the US where the 1st order costs were that high.
IOW, CYA has its societal benefits? Haha, well okay, not exactly CYA.

But no one really wants to admit there are these down-order effects that do deserve consideration. So it all comes out gobbley-gook subtext....
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 Mar 2019, 21:04

Fyodor! I have missed you my friend!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Mar 2019, 00:52

Same here! Hey, Fyodor.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2019, 10:07

Too soon, too soon.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 May 2019, 10:21

Not to defend this policy, but...this headline
Students who owe lunch money in Rhode Island will only get jelly sandwiches until debt is paid
is definitely not accurate
Students at a Rhode Island school district who owe money on their lunch accounts will have the sole option of a sunflower butter and jelly sandwich until they are able to pay their balances, the district announced Sunday.
ETA https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna10 ... ssion=true
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JD

Post by JD » 08 May 2019, 10:34

nicole wrote:
08 May 2019, 10:21
Not to defend this policy, but...this headline
Students who owe lunch money in Rhode Island will only get jelly sandwiches until debt is paid
is definitely not accurate
Students at a Rhode Island school district who owe money on their lunch accounts will have the sole option of a sunflower butter and jelly sandwich until they are able to pay their balances, the district announced Sunday.
ETA https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna10 ... ssion=true
I wonder what they'll do with students who are allergic to sunflower seed. Just jelly, probably. But what if you're diabetic as well? Just the bread? What if you're also celiac?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 May 2019, 10:37

Has anyone had sunflower butter? How does it stack up against peanut butter?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 May 2019, 12:39

I don't know anybody who PREFERS sunflower seed butter, although I'm sure that weirdo exists somewhere (probably posting in the food threads on Grylliade) but it's a fine plan B if you can't have nuts.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 May 2019, 13:01

Yeah, I'm sure it's a zero-peanut-allergen-tolerance thing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 08 May 2019, 13:23

Ellie wrote:
08 May 2019, 12:39
I don't know anybody who PREFERS sunflower seed butter, although I'm sure that weirdo exists somewhere (probably posting in the food threads on Grylliade) but it's a fine plan B if you can't have nuts.
I tried some Reese's Cups-style thing with sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter, and I thought it was gross, because the flavor is just off enough to make you say "there's something wrong with this peanut butter". It probably does not help that I am mildly allergic to sunflower seeds (but not peanuts).
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 May 2019, 15:30

I wonder if kids these days have a taste for sunbutter. They serve them in daycares on the regular.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 May 2019, 13:23

The policy has now been reversed because social media erupted but I have to say...uh...I find it really weird to see people specifically complaining about how kids should be able to have hot lunches, and cold sandwiches are some kind of problem, because I had cold sandwiches for lunch throughout school? Because...hot lunch was fucking gross? Wtf is wrong with eating a cold sandwich for lunch?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 May 2019, 13:29

It's not a problem if you are privileged enough to be able to choose a cold lunch. It's a problem if you are an oppressed person with limited choices. Ham sandwiches can punch up but not down.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 09 May 2019, 15:36

What Jason said.

It's participation trophies for lunch.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex