When journalism goes bad

Andrew

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Andrew » 09 Nov 2018, 15:11

Jasper wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 12:57
nicole wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:24
It more just came to mean “lying,” which is dumb because the point was to describe something much more specific than that.
No, my dear, you're mistaken. It's always only meant lying. You must be confused.
Applause.gif
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 14 Nov 2018, 11:59

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... /38452267/
Social security will never run out of money as long as we have young people to pillage and we cut benefit payments. Thank you Captain Obvious.

JD

Post by JD » 07 Dec 2018, 14:23

Rarely has there been a better example of Betteridge's Law: Does Trump Even Understand How Tariffs Work?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Dec 2018, 16:20

The first time I said this I meant it as a joke, but now I'm kinda thinking it might be for real: Trump seems to think the game of Monopoly describes how economics actually works -- "mutually beneficial trade" and "prosperous, peaceful economic co-existence" are not possible, because the only way you can win is for everybody else to lose.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Dec 2018, 18:27

Maybe he'll go away if we agree to let him first use eminent domain to claim Boardwalk and Park Place?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

JD

Post by JD » 14 Dec 2018, 14:39

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 300383002/ :
Fintech investing platform Robinhood on Thursday introduced its own no-fee checking and savings products that earns 3 percent. That is three-quarters of a point higher than the next-best available rate and thousands of times higher than what the big banks provide.
"Thousands of times higher"??? That would mean that the big banks are paying less than .003%. Interest rates are low, but they're not that low. According to the very same article,
The national savings rate on deposits under $100,000 is 0.09 percent, per the FDIC. It’s even lower – 0.06 percent – on interest checking accounts.
3 / 0.06 is 50, not "thousands". I guess that's what you get for taking financial advice from America's Coloring Book Newspaper.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Dec 2018, 12:42

I wonder what goes into that calculation. Chase, Wells and BofA offer 0.01% (presumably rounded up) on checking. So it’s closer to 3-600x from the big guys.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2018, 17:23

The checking and savings products are not technically bank accounts. They are separate balances held within a Robinhood brokerage account. Your checking and savings funds are not FDIC-insured.
Fuck that noise. My bank pays 1% on a FDIC insured checking account.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Dec 2018, 07:24

Robinhood had to pull it down after implying it was covered by SIPC protection, when the SIPC hadn’t been contacted and no such protection was guaranteed.

Robinhood Will Retool Checking Product Following Scrutiny https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... g-scrutiny
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Dec 2018, 07:52

The NY Times has officially run out of place to do, “36 hours in...” Anaheim is fine, but not worthy to a dedicated travel article. Also, Sunday takes part right in my childhood backyard and they miss the most interesting restaurant and the nature center highlighted is pretty lame.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/trav ... aheim.html

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 31 Dec 2018, 18:09

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 06 Jan 2019, 08:34

I don’t think I’ve seen this little self-awareness in a human being since Dojito developed object permanence. Yes NYTimes political reporters, please tell us how bad granting anonymity to powerful people so they can push their agenda is. A senior administration official thinks you’re totally right
IMG_3499.jpg
IMG_3499.jpg (238.18 KiB) Viewed 886 times

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Jan 2019, 15:28

Mo wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 08:34
I don’t think I’ve seen this little self-awareness in a human being since Dojito developed object permanence. Yes NYTimes political reporters, please tell us how bad granting anonymity to powerful people so they can push their agenda is. A senior administration official thinks you’re totally right
Ow. Can we get some extensive skin grafts for that burn?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jan 2019, 15:33

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 15:28
Mo wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 08:34
Ow. Can we get some extensive skin grafts for that burn?

It'll have to wait until the patient is off life support.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2019, 04:33

NBC had to be shamed into characterizing Steve King's comments racist.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2019, 15:55

Some dudes called Laura Loomer pretending to be Twitter execs telling her that CAIR got her kicked off Twitter. She fell for it, because of course she did. The crazy thing is she peddled it to the WSJ and they published it uncritically and “stand by their reporting”.

https://www.gq.com/story/wall-street-jo ... wing-prank

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Feb 2019, 08:22

This is more about "journalism". How the hell did AMI think Bezos would respond when his marriage was already dissolving because of the Enquirer stories? They're dealing with the richest dude in the world who now has a chip on his shoulder. I wouldn't be surprised if he went Gawker on them, burned them to the ground, bought the assets and then revealed all internal comms.

On another note, how fucking stupid is AMI?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2019, 14:04

Mo wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 08:22
This is more about "journalism". How the hell did AMI think Bezos would respond when his marriage was already dissolving because of the Enquirer stories? They're dealing with the richest dude in the world who now has a chip on his shoulder. I wouldn't be surprised if he went Gawker on them, burned them to the ground, bought the assets and then revealed all internal comms.

On another note, how fucking stupid is AMI?
I saw speculation -- IIRC on Julian Sanchez's Twitter feed, though I don't feel like double-checking -- that it's massive arrogance. Namely, that this is not remotely the first time AMI has pulled a blackmaily stunt like this, but they've done it so often that they are used to it, and didn't even think to take such basic precautions as "Don't leave a paper or electronic trail, dimwit."

I tend to agree with that theory: they've pulled shit like this SCADS of times before, only Bezos wouldn't bite the way the others did.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Feb 2019, 14:32

Also, don’t host your content on the same man’s servers. What is interesting is that theoretically, Bezos could Gawker them, but their assets and, even if they delete it, make a claim on the cached logs and put Pecker in an uncomfortable position.

Yes, we’re still doing phrasing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Feb 2019, 14:34

Heh heh "Pecker" heh heh [/butthead]
I don't see why extortion is a crime in the first place. But no matter, this story is popcorn worthy on it's own. I love it when the circus comes to CNBC.
Mo wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 14:32
Also, don’t host your content on the same man’s servers. What is interesting is that theoretically, Bezos could Gawker them, but their assets and, even if they delete it, make a claim on the cached logs and put Pecker in an uncomfortable position.
Like the back seat of a Volkswagen?

Yes we're still doing Kevin Smith call-backs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Feb 2019, 14:41

Honestly, unless you are a Blue doing buttsex with Trump or a Red doing the same with Pelosi (she's the top), I don't know what is considered scandalous anymore.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2019, 14:56

I have a vague memory of a long-ago article in SPY Magazine, which used to be famous for its SPY pranks. The background was this: when Bill Clinton was running for president for the first time, there was a lot of media coverage about him being the first Baby Boomer president, and more youthful than typical stodgy politicos, and also he lives an active lifestyle and goes jogging and etc., and at one point, either Candidate Clinton or President Clinton told reporters that New Balance jogging shoes were his favorite.

So SPY did a prank: made up a fake advertising agency, complete with a dedicated phone number and fancy letterhead and everything. Then they sent letters to various corporate ad executives, and the gist of the letter was "Hi, we're an ad agency that specializes in having celebrities endorse our clients' products. The enclosed news article shows what we can do for you." And the envelope included a copy of the for-reals news article with Clinton praising New Balance. (The purpose of the prank was to see how many corporate-types would take the bait. The answer was: almost all of them.)

But I recall admiring the subtlety (or whatever the word is) of how the offer was handled: if such an ad agency were real, getting politicians to "candidly" endorse various products during news interviews, it would of course be a HUGE scandal if word of it got out-- so the "ad agency" very wisely did NOT send a letter explicitly saying "Hey, we arranged for Bill Clinton to praise New Balance sneakers, and we can have him do the same for your product as well." If any of the would-be clients wanted to expose the ad agency's shenanigans, that vague letter plus the apparently unrelated news article would not be sufficient.

If AIM wanted to blackmail Bezos -- which of course would be immoral and wrong regardless, but "immoral and wrong" does not necessarily have to be synonymous with "stupid" -- why the hell didn't they do it more subtly, along the lines of those SPY pranksters? Like a letter saying "Dear Mr. Bezos, at your earliest convenience we would like to meet with you to discuss certain concerns we have regarding your operations," sent in the same envelope as those incriminating photos or whatever?

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Feb 2019, 13:06

These are the "hot sheets"?
Best investigative reporting on the planet. Read the NYT if you want. They get lucky sometimes.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 09 Feb 2019, 18:04

The Post has the best investigative reporters out there because they read Bezos’ Medium Post?

Also, if Bezos’ dude is right, the Enquirer was just laundering Saudi spy craft.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Feb 2019, 16:41

Various local (Atlanta-area) news sites have been running stories about shitloads of prostitutes being arrested -- sorry, "human trafficking victims" being "rescued." Like this one from the "Patch" I saw on Facebook today: "More than 160 arrested in Super Bowl human trafficking operation," subheadline "Nine juveniles and nine adults were rescued during an 11-day federal, state and local takedown."

https://patch.com/georgia/atlanta/more- ... 7rpt8irBWU

I posted this comment on the Patch's Facebook page: "The article is unclear: were those 18 "rescued victims" included among the number of people arrested? What happened to the sex workers in question -- where are they now? I hope their "rescue" did not entail them being imprisoned and saddled with a criminal record."