When journalism goes bad

nicole

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by nicole » 30 Jul 2018, 14:18

I took it to mean they just had the same last name.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Jul 2018, 14:26

"All four were named Robin Leslie."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Jul 2018, 15:03

This is Darryl and my other brother Darryl.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 30 Jul 2018, 15:30

"Hello, Mr. George Foreman, Mr. George Foreman, Mr. George Foreman, Mr. George Foreman, Mr. George Foreman, Mr. George Foreman, and Ms. Georgette Foreman."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Jul 2018, 10:57

But it's pronounced 'Throatwarbler Mangrove'
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 31 Jul 2018, 21:39

Mo wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 13:20
tr0g wrote:
Mo wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 05:20
I will say one thing in the flight attendant's defense. All of them having the same name is legit suspicious.
Isn't the name on your government issued ID, now required for travel, supposed to match the name on your boarding pass? Shouldn't the system have flagged this well before boarding the plane?
Kids don’t need government ID for domestic travel.
That’s what I get for only flying once with the tr0gling.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jake

Post by Jake » 01 Aug 2018, 00:45

Warren wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:57
But it's pronounced 'Throatwarbler Mangrove'
You're a very silly man, and I'm not going to secretly profile you.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 02 Aug 2018, 15:07

Mendacious statistics do not help your cause:
https://rsf.org/en/barometer?year=2018& ... -barometre

Violations of press freedom barometer
The table below covers only journalists for whom RSF was able to clearly establish that they were killed or imprisoned in connection with their journalistic work.

Reporters Killed to date in 2018, the United States is second highest in the world at 6.

Four died at the Capital Gazette shooting and two were ambushed by a tree.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Aug 2018, 17:18

OFFS.

I'm reminded of Banned Book Week stuff that counts "A crank or two write in to demand a book be removed from their local public library", regardless of whether anything actually happens, as acts of censorship and repression.".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 06 Sep 2018, 15:34

Apeel’s Edible Produce Coating Could Slay Food Waste And Save Supermarkets Billions: "James Rogers' startup, Apeel Sciences, has developed a way to keep avocados, lemons and dozens of other fruits and vegetables fresher."

Hm, edible produce coating, you say. Hm, lemons and avocados, you say. What is "fruits and vegetables you don't eat the peel of", Alex? (The technology actually sounds very cool, but the editor sure chose some lousy examples there.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Sep 2018, 16:22

JD wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 15:34
Apeel’s Edible Produce Coating Could Slay Food Waste And Save Supermarkets Billions: "James Rogers' startup, Apeel Sciences, has developed a way to keep avocados, lemons and dozens of other fruits and vegetables fresher."

Hm, edible produce coating, you say. Hm, lemons and avocados, you say. What is "fruits and vegetables you don't eat the peel of", Alex? (The technology actually sounds very cool, but the editor sure chose some lousy examples there.)
The whole article hits me as badly researched, but the product might be decent.

On the other hand, this is not the first or second product of this exact type I've heard of over the years. I wonder if this is going to be like every breathless article on, say, vertical farming startups, where a year or three later, they fail to zero coverage due to undescribed problems, and a few years after that, some other schmuck has the same idea.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 06 Sep 2018, 19:13

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 16:22
JD wrote:

On the other hand, this is not the first or second product of this exact type I've heard of over the years. I wonder if this is going to be like every breathless article on, say, vertical farming startups, where a year or three later, they fail to zero coverage due to undescribed problems, and a few years after that, some other schmuck has the same idea.
Errrm, waxed fruit is already a thing.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Sep 2018, 19:41

As often as not I buy a lemon for the zest, and I would appreciate it if you kept your waxes and embalming fluids off the rind thank you very much.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Sep 2018, 19:43

Kwix wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 19:13
Eric the .5b wrote:
JD wrote:

Yes. I'm talking non-wax (and usually "edible") versions. I've been hearing about them since the 80s.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 07 Sep 2018, 03:22

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 19:43
Kwix wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
JD wrote:

Yes. I'm talking non-wax (and usually "edible") versions. I've been hearing about them since the 80s.
My bad. I interpreted "over the years" as "in recent years". Also, wax is edible. Shiny but inert. Apparently produce stickers are supposed to be "edible" as well. I have not tested this nor intend to.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Sep 2018, 18:55

Kwix wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 03:22
Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 19:43
Kwix wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
JD wrote:

My bad. I interpreted "over the years" as "in recent years". Also, wax is edible. Shiny but inert. Apparently produce stickers are supposed to be "edible" as well. I have not tested this nor intend to.
Oh, come on. Do it for science.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Sep 2018, 09:12

I guess it can't be TMI if it's requested, so I will tell you that the stickers on apples will pass through just fine, the ink dissolves and the paper looks like paper, not like a shiny label afterwards. I was in a camping trip, so I was having to deal with my own poop (burying it) and I noticed something unusual so I investigated and now you all know too.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Sep 2018, 20:18

I'm reminded of some rant I came across yesterday about how "non-toxic" on chemicals just means the FDA hasn't super-proved that they're toxic, yet, and that everything labeled "non-toxic" is probably something toxic that nobody's yet ingested and sued about.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 Sep 2018, 10:30

Eric the .5b wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 20:18
I'm reminded of some rant I came across yesterday about how "non-toxic" on chemicals just means the FDA hasn't super-proved that they're toxic, yet, and that everything labeled "non-toxic" is probably something toxic that nobody's yet ingested and sued about.
There's a lot of stuff the FDA allows within the food industry that is/can be labelled as "non-toxic", but you probably wouldn't want to eat it. Think about all the food-grade packaging. Lotsa rules on what can be used as primary or secondary packaging materials, and all of it needs FDA compliance certifications to be used. But you wouldn't want to eat a plastic bag.

And then there's things like salt. Not toxic, by common understanding, and labeled as non-hazardous on its SDS. And a pretty vital ingerdient in just about everything. But it has an LD50 of 3000 mg/kg, so it can kill you if you overdose on it.

<shrug>
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Sep 2018, 18:23

Jasper wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 10:30
so it can kill you if you overdose on it
What can't?

Acknowledging that you still may not want to eat something that isn't toxic is completely different from the BS proposition I was talking about.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Sep 2018, 09:30

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 18:23
Jasper wrote:
What can't?

Acknowledging that you still may not want to eat something that isn't toxic is completely different from the BS proposition I was talking about.
You're absolutely right Eric.

Please forgive me for wanting to contribute what little knowledge I have of the food industry from working in it for the last decade.

:roll:
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2018, 11:06

Jasper wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 09:30
Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 18:23
Jasper wrote:
What can't?

You're absolutely right Eric.

Please forgive me for wanting to contribute what little knowledge I have of the food industry from working in it for the last decade.

:roll:
But is Eric right? Can you call something "non-toxic" until such time as it's shown to be toxic? Seems like that is an affirmative claim that requires some minimum justification.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Sep 2018, 11:57

I think Jasper and Eric are both agreeing with each other but coming from different tones (or levels of sarcasm or something) so it seems like you're clashing. Don't clash! You're on the same side! :)
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Sep 2018, 12:24

This is one of those things where I’d like to curse people to live in the world they say they want. Presto no consumption that hasn’t been affirmatively proven to be non toxic including by products. No pollution either.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Sep 2018, 12:29

Ellie wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 11:57
I think Jasper and Eric are both agreeing with each other but coming from different tones (or levels of sarcasm or something) so it seems like you're clashing. Don't clash! You're on the same side! :)
You're probably right.