When journalism goes bad

lunchstealer

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jul 2018, 17:20

I assume that she means 'you never know when you're going to see individual meteors, maybe, but if not yeah that's dumb, and it's still a little dumb because artificial meteor showers aren't going to be that much more predictable.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 24 Jul 2018, 08:06

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 17:20
I assume that she means 'you never know when you're going to see individual meteors, maybe, but if not yeah that's dumb, and it's still a little dumb because artificial meteor showers aren't going to be that much more predictable.
If she'd said individual meteors I would have no disagreement, but she did specifically say "showers". And I thought the whole point of the artificial ones is that they will be highly predictable.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jul 2018, 20:37

Predictability isn't the problem with meteor showers, frequency and brilliance is. Even the most intense storms I've seen are 99% lying on your back waiting for one to scratch the sky for half a second.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Jul 2018, 21:10

Warren wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 20:37
Predictability isn't the problem with meteor showers, frequency and brilliance is. Even the most intense storms I've seen are 99% lying on your back waiting for one to scratch the sky for half a second.
Agreed, though I would have said 'intensity'. I would like to see a meteor storm like the Leonid shower of 1833.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 24 Jul 2018, 22:40

Warren wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 20:37
The only one I've seen that was really fantastic was the Leonids in the middle of the Mohave Desert. Meteor showers are an astronomical phenomenon that really suffers for any sort of light pollution.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 25 Jul 2018, 11:35

I've seen some brilliant, giganticly bright, one-off meteors that made the news, and a few that should have. Nothing like a whole shower of them though.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2018, 11:43

Dangerman wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:35
I've seen some brilliant, giganticly bright, one-off meteors that made the news, and a few that should have. Nothing like a whole shower of them though.
I saw one of those once. It burned with visible flames till it sank beneath the horizon and then apparently exploded with a brilliant flash.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Jul 2018, 11:44

Not sure I’ve ever seen a meteor.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Jul 2018, 13:24

I saw one just a few years ago while driving home from work. So bright it actually made daylight brighter. I half expected to hear an explosion. I asked about it on the town-gossip FB page and more than a few saw it too. I was surprised that there was nothing about it in the local, or even national, news that night or the next day; it was that bright.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jul 2018, 18:29

As a little kid who was super-into astronomy, I remember being very excited about an upcoming meteor shower, and my family even went to the house of a friend who lived in a darker (as in light pollution) neighborhood to see it -- and I was hugely disappointed, because I was hoping to see something along the lines of "Like rain, only with starlight instead of water," but what I actually saw was "A normal night sky, except every 15 to 30 seconds there would be a brief green streak shooting through one small section of it."

I've seen the occasional shooting star since then, but nothing nearly as impressive as what Warren was talking about.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 26 Jul 2018, 14:15

I've never seen a fireball quite as intense as the one Warren describes, but I have seen one or two - not just the usual "a short, quick line of light", but something with actual apparent diameter to it. Interesting factoid: Several thousand meteors of fireball magnitude occur in the Earth’s atmosphere each day.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Jul 2018, 19:00

The David French article about the culture of “Southern” politics pretends the south is not racist, yet the whole thing excludes the black political experience (with the exception of Scott). He even tries to make it about religion, yet his example about Democrats’ religiosity is about white Democrats specifically.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 26 Jul 2018, 19:08

JD wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 14:15
I've never seen a fireball quite as intense as the one Warren describes, but I have seen one or two - not just the usual "a short, quick line of light", but something with actual apparent diameter to it. Interesting factoid: Several thousand meteors of fireball magnitude occur in the Earth’s atmosphere each day.
I once saw one that trailed what looked like green fire. I actually made a sound-a sort of low sizzling.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jul 2018, 20:07

Number 6 wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:08
I actually made a sound-a sort of low sizzling.
You did? Or it did?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Jul 2018, 21:22

Warren wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
You did? Or it did?
He did. Have you seen the man? He’s hot.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Jul 2018, 18:52

I once saw a green fireball during a meteor shower. No sound, but it was bright enough that I saw the light in middle of town out the corner of my eye. Sadly, it was fading even as I went to look at it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Jul 2018, 23:40

Well this is a big sack of dumb.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... e083c63af8
“Corporate taxes are going to die in 10 to 20 years at this rate,” Ludvig Wier, an economist at the University of Copenhagen and a co-author of the study, said in an interview. “Without drastic collective action, you can see we’re nearing the end of it.”

The international decline in corporate taxes threatens to drain governments of a source of funding for health care and other social welfare programs, while already leading many European countries to adopt larger regressive sales taxes on goods, Wier said.

Mo

When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 29 Jul 2018, 14:38

Because it the Daily Fail:

Headline: Suspicious flight attendants are hailed as heroes after alerting cops to human trafficking suspect who boarded a flight with three young girls

Paragraph 9: They investigated and soon established there had been no wrongdoing and the man was actually known to the girls and travelling legitimately with them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ctims.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Jul 2018, 15:46

Mo wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 14:38

Headline: Suspicious flight attendants are hailed as heroes after alerting cops to human trafficking suspect who boarded a flight with three young girls

Paragraph 9: They investigated and soon established there had been no wrongdoing and the man was actually known to the girls and travelling legitimately with them.

Just everyday fascism in action. Nothing to see here. Move along.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Jul 2018, 20:05

Mo wrote:

I'm going to hear this story multiple times for the next year or so to justify awful shit. No one will believe me when I say that it wasn't any actual human trafficking going on.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Jul 2018, 21:04

Mo wrote:

My favorite part is that though there were “three young girls” only one was “underage.” So...two women and a girl.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Jul 2018, 21:52

Warren wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 20:07
Number 6 wrote:
You did? Or it did?
Whoops. It did.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jul 2018, 05:20

I will say one thing in the flight attendant's defense. All of them having the same name is legit suspicious.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 30 Jul 2018, 11:42

Mo wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 05:20
I will say one thing in the flight attendant's defense. All of them having the same name is legit suspicious.
Isn't the name on your government issued ID, now required for travel, supposed to match the name on your boarding pass? Shouldn't the system have flagged this well before boarding the plane?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jul 2018, 13:20

tr0g wrote:
Mo wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 05:20
Isn't the name on your government issued ID, now required for travel, supposed to match the name on your boarding pass? Shouldn't the system have flagged this well before boarding the plane?
Kids don’t need government ID for domestic travel.