When journalism goes bad

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15562
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Aresen » 19 Jul 2017, 00:47

Warren wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 20:11
And if you're not so lucky, a fine dining establishment is not the place to be fighting it out.
I believe we've covered this before, but I will say again that parents should not bring children to high-end restaurants. When I am paying $60+ per entrée, I do not want my experience spoiled by your child's temper tantrum.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15562
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Aresen » 19 Jul 2017, 00:51

Mo wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 23:25
Also, I was a picky eater for most of my life, now I'm an adventurous eater. Childhood is not life.
I do not object to someone who wants to stick to steak-and-potatoes, but there are children over 30 who object to my taste for pâté de foie gras.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7489
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Jul 2017, 02:08

To go to the article ...

I mean ... if they want high end meals for the kids .... well ... just order a fucking adult meal for them. They'll eat it. Or they won't. I don't really understand what the dumbass writer is talking about in the article. Is there some kind of "Do not pass go. Do not collect $200" element to ordering off the regular menu for kids?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13191
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Highway » 19 Jul 2017, 07:33

Pham Nuwen wrote:To go to the article ...

I mean ... if they want high end meals for the kids .... well ... just order a fucking adult meal for them. They'll eat it. Or they won't. I don't really understand what the dumbass writer is talking about in the article. Is there some kind of "Do not pass go. Do not collect $200" element to ordering off the regular menu for kids?
They just wanted to write a stupid article about some manufactured peeve. The article makes it seem like they fundamentally misunderstand the point of the kids menu, which is appeasement. If a kid wants some of the other food, then order it for them. Everyone knows this, including that author.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9527
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by nicole » 19 Jul 2017, 08:27

They fundamentally misunderstand the point of restaurants full stop. I mean did you catch the part where he was like, why do menus even have things people want to order?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13191
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Highway » 19 Jul 2017, 09:00

nicole wrote:They fundamentally misunderstand the point of restaurants full stop. I mean did you catch the part where he was like, why do menus even have things people want to order?
I dunno, there are plenty of restaurants that don't have food people want to order, although usually not for long. I didn't really get that kind of message from it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6497
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Dangerman » 19 Jul 2017, 09:27

I thought kids menus were understood to have items that are broadly acceptable to kids (fatty salty sugary bland) so you wouldn't have to deal with their bullshit and the adults can enjoy a meal.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13191
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Highway » 19 Jul 2017, 10:11

Dangerman wrote:I thought kids menus were understood to have items that are broadly acceptable to kids (fatty salty sugary bland) so you wouldn't have to deal with their bullshit and the adults can enjoy a meal.
That was my understanding as well.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9527
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by nicole » 19 Jul 2017, 10:31

Highway wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 09:00
nicole wrote:They fundamentally misunderstand the point of restaurants full stop. I mean did you catch the part where he was like, why do menus even have things people want to order?
I dunno, there are plenty of restaurants that don't have food people want to order, although usually not for long. I didn't really get that kind of message from it.
Jeffrey M. Barker wrote:And is it really a defensible position that a restaurant ought to offer only what people would order if given no options? If adults visited a restaurant and shied away from foreign ingredients such as cardoons or Grana Padano, would that restaurant take those items off the menu as well?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12103
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Ellie » 19 Jul 2017, 11:54

If adults visited a restaurant and shied away from foreign ingredients such as cardoons or Grana Padano, would that restaurant take those items off the menu as well?
The restaurant wouldn't need to, because David Brooks would pop out from behind a potted plant and shepherd the adults to a Mexican restaurant down the road.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27657
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by thoreau » 19 Jul 2017, 12:20

Ellie wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 11:54
If adults visited a restaurant and shied away from foreign ingredients such as cardoons or Grana Padano, would that restaurant take those items off the menu as well?
The restaurant wouldn't need to, because David Brooks would pop out from behind a potted plant and shepherd the adults to a Mexican restaurant down the road.
Sigged!
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Sandy » 19 Jul 2017, 15:37

Mo wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 23:05
I disagree. My son got more picky as he got older. When he was 18 months, we could feed him okra from the local Indian place and he had somewhat spicy mac and cheese at a BBQ joint. Now he's picky as fuck. Granted, he's three, so everything is so fucking dramatic, but the backslide was odd.
Saw this with friend's kids: they would eat anything that wasn't too spicy, and a couple of years later, they're turning their noses up at a mango lassi, because they hate all that is good.

I was also pretty much a meat and bread eater until college, when I found that foods I remember tasting crappy didn't taste so crappy, along the lines of Jennifer's theory (which I remember reading, as well). Now I eat anything except a few dark green vegetables and nuts. I love spinach, fortunately.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12103
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Ellie » 19 Jul 2017, 15:49

nicole wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 23:22
Mo wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 23:05
I disagree. My son got more picky as he got older. When he was 18 months, we could feed him okra from the local Indian place and he had somewhat spicy mac and cheese at a BBQ joint. Now he's picky as fuck. Granted, he's three, so everything is so fucking dramatic, but the backslide was odd.
I've heard this is a thing.
Yeah, happened to Modspawn too. Nowadays I try to enjoy it when the twins are fighting over my broccoli or kimchi, because I'm sure they'll soon be running screaming from anything that isn't pizza or box mac and cheese.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 23883
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2017, 16:12

The more I look at that article, the stupider it gets.
If adults visited a restaurant and shied away from foreign ingredients such as cardoons or Grana Padano, would that restaurant take those items off the menu as well?
Yes, it would, because that's exactly how non-monopoly businesses work: if nobody is buying what you are offering, you either offer something they will buy or you go out of business.
What bothers me more is that going out to eat is supposed to be fun. It should be a treat, an adventure.
This assumes that "fun" or "a treat" has to be "trying something new." Speaking personally: if I'm going to pay for a meal in a restaurant, I will only eat food that tastes better than what I can make myself at home. And if I'm spending that premium price for a restaurant meal, I want something I know I'll like; if I want to be adventurous and try something new, I'll first make the recipe at home, where it's less of a loss if I turn out to dislike something. (With one exception: I will try new things at all-you-can-eat buffets. Last weekend Jeff and I went to an Asian buffet-with-sushi, where I tried a piece of fried plantain and thus discovered that I really don't like fried plantain. But if I had paid single-entree price, or even appetizer-price, for an order of plantains, it would've been a disappointing waste of money.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24207
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2017, 16:16

The other odd thing is that Mojito gets lunches served family style at school. He will eat shit there that he would never eat at home, like broccoli. The person who runs the daycare says this is perfectly normal and that social pressure from their friends will lead them to eat stuff they don't usually eat. Score one for peer pressure.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12103
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Ellie » 19 Jul 2017, 16:20

Mo wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 16:16
The other odd thing is that Mojito gets lunches served family style at school. He will eat shit there that he would never eat at home, like broccoli. The person who runs the daycare says this is perfectly normal and that social pressure from their friends will lead them to eat stuff they don't usually eat. Score one for peer pressure.
Same thing with Modspawn and snacks at preschool, although their stuff is not too adventurous (more like bagels or crackers). I have gotten burned by thinking, "He eats X at preschool, he must like it!" and then buying a shitton of X that he refused to touch at home.

I get weirdly resentful of the things he refuses to eat. Like raspberries, or gummy fruit candies, or brownies. IT'S A BROWNIE. IT'S CHOCOLATE AND SUGAR AND EVERYTHING THAT IS BEST IN LIFE. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU. EAT IT.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24207
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2017, 16:23

Mojito doesn't like ketchup or potatoes. What fucking kid doesn't like either of those, let alone both?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 23883
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2017, 16:31

Does he hate potatoes in all forms -- French fries, mashed potatoes, etc.? Or does he "only" hate potatoes that look like potatoes: say, a baked potato, cut open and slathered with butter or some other topping?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24207
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2017, 16:37

All forms. He may take 2 bites of the occasional french fry. It's madness.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Sandy » 19 Jul 2017, 16:41

Mo wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 16:23
Mojito doesn't like ketchup or potatoes. What fucking kid doesn't like either of those, let alone both?
That was me. I eventually started to like Pringles.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18127
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by dbcooper » 19 Jul 2017, 16:45

Ellie wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 11:54
If adults visited a restaurant and shied away from foreign ingredients such as cardoons or Grana Padano, would that restaurant take those items off the menu as well?
The restaurant wouldn't need to, because David Brooks would pop out from behind a potted plant and shepherd the adults to a Mexican restaurant down the road.
:lol:
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15809
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by dhex » 19 Jul 2017, 16:56

Mo wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 16:23
Mojito doesn't like ketchup or potatoes. What fucking kid doesn't like either of those, let alone both?
my kid, who until he was about 4 and change didn't like

- potatoes
- french fries
- ice cream
- juice (which made certain medication dosings difficult)

but would eat as much palak paneer and goat curry as he could stuff in his mouth.

then it swapped until he was about five or so (never did warm to juice, which is fine).

after six months of going full on over meat and a few vegetables, but turned his nose up at grains (including bread) he now mostly eats anything. still loves goat curry.

only cauliflower has been the constant "fuck that noise" food.

shrug.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 18437
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Jul 2017, 02:11

Christina Cauterucci wrote:When Trump nominated Betsy DeVos to lead the Department of Education, anti-rape advocates worried about the damage she might do.
WTF? I mean, I know who she is referring to, but unless there are pro-rape advocates this is a perfect example of the "control the language, control the issue" tactic.

Also in the WTF category, when the hell did dhex start using capital letters?

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13299
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jul 2017, 04:28

Ellie wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 16:20
I get weirdly resentful of the things he refuses to eat. Like raspberries, or gummy fruit candies, or brownies. IT'S A BROWNIE. IT'S CHOCOLATE AND SUGAR AND EVERYTHING THAT IS BEST IN LIFE. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU. EAT IT.
Maybe it's textural? I love chocolate, but a lot of fudges are just ick.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Sandy » 20 Jul 2017, 09:11

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 02:11
Christina Cauterucci wrote:When Trump nominated Betsy DeVos to lead the Department of Education, anti-rape advocates worried about the damage she might do.
WTF? I mean, I know who she is referring to, but unless there are pro-rape advocates this is a perfect example of the "control the language, control the issue" tactic.

Also in the WTF category, when the hell did dhex start using capital letters?
Anyone who is not on board with their particular style of anti-rape advocacy is by definition a rape apologist and part of rape culture. According to them.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests