Warren

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 14 Jul 2017, 15:30

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 14:03
nicole wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 13:56
If only targeting were any good
Last I checked, Amazon still thinks I'm a poly pagan kinkster lesbian, though it isn't sure whether I'm a dom or a sub.
I still think that too. Are you saying we're wrong?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Ellie » 14 Jul 2017, 16:18

Facebook has been cramming my feed with ads for the Dexcom glucose monitor ever since I bought a Dexcom glucose monitor. Like, yes, I believe you that it's a revolution in diabetes care, you can stop now.

Also, ads for some weight loss program "for millennials." The idea that I might want that is insulting on several levels!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sandy » 14 Jul 2017, 18:01

Unfortunately, I've been looking but not buying lots of synthesizers, and it's been taunting me.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jul 2017, 19:14

I don't understand how people can grow to adulthood in the United States without developing the lobe of the brain that filters out advertising.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 14 Jul 2017, 20:07

Warren wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 19:14
I don't understand how people can grow to adulthood in the United States without developing the lobe of the brain that filters out advertising.
That's the whole thing. It never used to be targeted. That makes it different. Somewhat, anyway....
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Jul 2017, 14:50

Otoh, I did get a contextual ad at H&R for the Castleton campus bookstore, which I may or may have not googled many moons ago while watching Time Chasers at work.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Jul 2017, 16:26

fyodor wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 20:07
Warren wrote:
That's the whole thing. It never used to be targeted. That makes it different. Somewhat, anyway....
Sometimes the targeting is frighteningly accurate and I have no idea how. (Today, I started getting ads for smart phones - something I have not looked into online, but have considered.)
Other times it is hilariously off. (Really, I am not interested in Canesten.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 17 Jul 2017, 17:24

Aresen wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 16:26
fyodor wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 20:07
Warren wrote:
Sometimes the targeting is frighteningly accurate and I have no idea how. (Today, I started getting ads for smart phones - something I have not looked into online, but have considered.)
Other times it is hilariously off. (Really, I am not interested in Canesten.)
Either way, you notice it a helluva lot more than generic advertising.

We'll just need to grow a new lobe....
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jul 2017, 10:26

This is so terrible I don't know what to quote, I'm losing it http://www.avclub.com/article/why-order ... ren-258058
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Jul 2017, 10:54

There are a lot of negative connotations to words like "death camp" and "genocide", but I think the future will look back on the Foodie Holocaust and say it ultimately strengthened the nation.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jul 2017, 11:05

fyodor wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 17:24
Either way, you notice it a helluva lot more than generic advertising.
Depends on what your definition of "helluva lot more" is. I notice it for maybe several milliseconds, whereas I notice generic advertising for maybe a couple hundred microseconds. So like a hundred times more, but still not at all. However, I'll sign on to "sometimes it gets me" and throws up something I'm actively interested in buying and I will actually click on it. So as advertising goes, it's infinitely more effective on me. Even better, I can still pay it no mind.

OTOH Animated ads are insufferable. Blinking or movement draws my eye and if I can't block it or put it out of the window somehow, I can't be on that page. Bookface rotates their ads now, and when they scroll it distracts me. About the second time that happens I have to click away.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jul 2017, 11:10

nicole wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 10:26
This is so terrible I don't know what to quote, I'm losing it http://www.avclub.com/article/why-order ... ren-258058
Wow. That is an impressive amount of wrongness. Indeed the density of wrong exceeds critical mass and collapses in on itself to form a blog hole that sucks intelligence out of the reader. I'm glad I didn't read past the event horizon.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Jul 2017, 13:29

jesus fucking christ i hope his kid grows up to we need to talk about kevin him
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Jul 2017, 13:31

also for fuck's sake just share parts of your dishes with your fucking 4 year old if being an upper middle class twat is that important to you.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 18 Jul 2017, 15:35

I like how she thinks high sodium, unhealthy food is relegated to the children's portion of the menu.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jul 2017, 15:45

Sandy wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 15:35
I like how she thinks high sodium, unhealthy food is relegated to the children's portion of the menu.
My Berkshire pork belly is perfectly healthy brah.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 18 Jul 2017, 15:57

Mo wrote:
Sandy wrote:
My Berkshire pork belly is perfectly healthy brah.
Now I'm hungry.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Jul 2017, 16:49

Sandy wrote:
"if you eat out at a fine French restaurant by the time you leave you've probably had a stick-plus of butter"

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jul 2017, 20:11

There's a good deal to be said about limited taste. Indeed we recently said quite a bit about it. I am squarely and emphatically on the side of "People should broaden their taste beyond the four American food groups of sugar, salt, starch, and fat". Towards that end I support parents introducing their children to a variety of food.

That said. It is folly to deny the reality of the immature palate. There is a reason every single children's menu consists of fish sticks, hot dogs, and mac & cheese. Maybe you're fortunate enough to have a child willing to try the twice baked potato with caramelized onions. And if you're real lucky, maybe the kid even likes it. But chances are he'd be happier with french fries. And if you're not so lucky, a fine dining establishment is not the place to be fighting it out.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Jul 2017, 22:46

I find a rough correlation between mellow kids and parents who just feed them bits of whatever they're eating. I once saw a mom feeding her toddler/baby can't remember exactly bits from her vegetable curry. My wife and I are convinced it's possible if you start before they are even conscious of what they're eating. The kids I see whose parents indulge as far as cooking separate meals, they... end up difficult. At the same time, I don't have kids so I try not to judge, I know sometimes you just want them to stop screaming.

For me, anything was possible to choke down with enough gulps of milk.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jul 2017, 23:05

I disagree. My son got more picky as he got older. When he was 18 months, we could feed him okra from the local Indian place and he had somewhat spicy mac and cheese at a BBQ joint. Now he's picky as fuck. Granted, he's three, so everything is so fucking dramatic, but the backslide was odd.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jul 2017, 23:22

Mo wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 23:05
I disagree. My son got more picky as he got older. When he was 18 months, we could feed him okra from the local Indian place and he had somewhat spicy mac and cheese at a BBQ joint. Now he's picky as fuck. Granted, he's three, so everything is so fucking dramatic, but the backslide was odd.
I've heard this is a thing.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jul 2017, 23:25

Also, I was a picky eater for most of my life, now I'm an adventurous eater. Childhood is not life.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2017, 00:22

Mo wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 23:05
I recall reading a plausible-sounding theory that the reason most children become picky eaters at that age (specifically, the age where they're capable of feeding themselves as opposed to waiting for someone to breast-feed or spoon-feed them) is because it evolved as a survival mechanism: a prehistoric toddler with adventurous food habits is far more likely to eat poison berries or something that would a picky, conservative eater who doesn't like to try new things.

Out of curiosity: do you recall roughly how much time passed, between his deciding he didn't like those foods, compared to the last time he'd eaten and liked them? I'm guessing it was long enough for a kid his age to have completely forgotten his previous experience with liking them.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2017, 00:28

Plus, of course, kids in general have different taste buds than adults, and far less tolerance for bitter and sour flavors. (I personally hated cheese -- except for mac-n-cheese, and mozzarella on pizzas -- until I was almost an adult. Now, of course, I melt cheese on pretty much everything.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b