When journalism goes bad

thoreau

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by thoreau » 21 Jul 2017, 12:51

Take a close look at Joy Reid's profile picture. Then ask yourself why you are calling her "ignorant." Are you racist? Well, are you? Huh?

Examine your privilege.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Jul 2017, 16:35

Not so much bad as hilarious

http://nypost.com/2017/07/21/parents-ar ... sex-guide/

So like I am presuming there is a patriot mommy bloggeur category along with all the other mommy bloggeurs.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jul 2017, 16:42

Aresen wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 12:37
nicole wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 12:27
nicole wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 14:46
Right, I mean, they're all braindead, who isn't braindead? No one who is listened to "seriously" is anything other than braindead.
Definitely, extremely braindead

You know, if Tucker Carlson or Rush Limbaugh said something that stupid, the MSM media would be all over them for their ignorance.

/tu quoque
I dunno. They say stuff that stupid all the time. Usually, they just get blasted for saying something extremely insensitive. Jumping all over Tucker Carlson when he says something stupid would be a full time job.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Jul 2017, 16:44

Mo wrote:Jumping all over Tucker Carlson when he says something stupid would be a full time job.
I would be happy to consider a career change.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jul 2017, 16:48

thoreau wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 16:44
Mo wrote:Jumping all over Tucker Carlson when he says something stupid would be a full time job.
I would be happy to consider a career change.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
This is like making a wish on a monkey's paw. It means you have to watch all of Tucker Carlson's shows.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 21 Jul 2017, 17:53

Mo wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 20:50
Betsy DeVos has confessed to mayhem. Interpol - and I take no joy in reporting this - has ordered death by brazen bull.
Thank you for that lovely PII. :twisted:
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 21 Jul 2017, 17:58

Re Trump and Christianity--

Mo is right, and I think the reason is that they are going to rally around Trump the same way people after the election rallied around Hillary. This is Their Guy, dammit, and they don't want The Other Guy/Gal to ruin their lives. (Note if you aren't an immigrant from the Ban countries or an Obama flack hoping for a job in the Hilldawg administration, your life hasn't been ruined by Trump.)

Conversely, I think, contra Thoreau, that any churchiness might shore up a tiny fraction of his base, but I think it would come off as insincere to most people outside his core demographic. The rest were there because he promised anti-immigration ponies and pissed off the Democrats. I strongly doubt he's going to pull any more in.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Jul 2017, 18:20

I'm not talking about winning more votes or getting people to say positive things to pollsters. I'm talking about getting more extremism from the people he has. Getting more people to do like the handful of Trump supporters who have attacked protestors at rallies.

There's a fear on the left that Trump will do more than just win an election, that he'll make himself into a dictator backed by brownshirt followers. And I think the reason he can't do that is because he doesn't have the necessary bona fides to take this to the next level. They like him pissing off libruls, but he could never make himself into a President-for-Life with a brigade of brownshirt types because he can't make this into a sacred cause.

He can do anything he wants and his followers will give a thumbs up to the pollsters as long as he's pissing off libruls. But they won't get off the couch for him. Thank God.
--Jake

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Jul 2017, 18:21

Then again, I had a well thought-out reason why he would never get the critical mass of support needed to win the general election. So what the fuck do I know? I just hope I'm wrong in the "even religion wouldn't do it for him" way, not the "nope, he can take this to the next level without religion" way.
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jul 2017, 19:24

Sandy wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 17:53
Mo wrote:
Betsy DeVos has confessed to mayhem. Interpol - and I take no joy in reporting this - has ordered death by brazen bull.
That is why I didn't participate in that twitter thing of 'what's the first news event you remember'
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Jul 2017, 19:48

dhex wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 16:35

So like I am presuming there is a patriot mommy bloggeur category along with all the other mommy bloggeurs.
Outraged mommy bloggers are like 30% of the economy now.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jul 2017, 19:53

Sandy wrote:
Mo wrote:
1 and 2 are announced by grylliade every year (let alone Facebook).

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Jul 2017, 21:03

dbcooper wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 19:48
dhex wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 16:35

Outraged mommy bloggers are like 30% of the economy now.
Outraging moms was the whole point.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Jul 2017, 21:11

I remain bemused by the thought that, especially in the age of the Internet, any parent thinks telling their teenager "This is too bad and too sexy for you to read" will actually decrease the possibility of said teenager reading it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Jul 2017, 23:25

Sandy wrote:
Mo wrote:
What's a PII?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jul 2017, 23:26

Personal Identifiable Information (in this case date of birth)

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 22 Jul 2017, 17:39

It's more that it ties it to info that might be relevant for those stupid "security questions." I know you know the implications, but I find it funny.

I really want to do one with "last four digits of your SSN" and "your mother's maiden name" as options.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jul 2017, 02:18

Sandy wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 17:39
It's more that it ties it to info that might be relevant for those stupid "security questions." I know you know the implications, but I find it funny.

I really want to do one with "last four digits of your SSN" and "your mother's maiden name" as options.
I've seen one that is "The last four digits of your SSN," "Your mother's maiden name," and "the first five digits of your SSN."
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jul 2017, 22:26

For all the jokes that conservatives make about liberals and celebrities, they sure do cream their jeans over every C-list celebrity that decides to run for office. Even Charles Cooke of NR was defending Rock's idiocy on Twitter.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jul 2017, 23:31

Mo wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 22:26
For all the jokes that conservatives make about liberals and celebrities, they sure do cream their jeans over every C-list celebrity that decides to run for office. Even Charles Cooke of NR was defending Rock's idiocy on Twitter.
OSMN.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 24 Jul 2017, 20:33

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 05 Aug 2017, 21:47

LOL NY Times opinion section.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Aug 2017, 11:17

dbcooper wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 20:33
WTF?

WTF?

WTF?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Aug 2017, 11:47

In which Breitbart pretends not to know how anything works in order to defend Gorka/ruin the week of some poor young woman: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... -to-press/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Aug 2017, 11:58

Aresen wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 12:37
nicole wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 12:27
nicole wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 14:46
Right, I mean, they're all braindead, who isn't braindead? No one who is listened to "seriously" is anything other than braindead.
Definitely, extremely braindead

You know, if Tucker Carlson or Rush Limbaugh said something that stupid, the MSM media would be all over them for their ignorance.

/tu quoque

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex