When journalism goes bad

Dangerman

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Dangerman » 12 Oct 2017, 16:16

I really enjoyed that they emphasized how 'anti feminist' = 'misogynist.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Oct 2017, 16:38

JD wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 14:59
Well, nobody knows vapid bullshit like Gawker!
I wasn't thrilled to see Amanda Marcotte quoted in the piece either, but still -- I focused on what it said rather than who said it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Oct 2017, 16:44

I'm guessing that MediaMatters article was written in response (or as a followup to) Buzzfeed's recent article on "How Breitbart And Milo Smuggled Nazi and White Nationalist Ideas Into The Mainstream."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstei ... .rwwjYRglw
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jason

Post by Jason » 12 Oct 2017, 17:26

I was reading "How NBC ‘Killed’ Ronan Farrow’s Weinstein Exposé" and the thought occurred to me — could the "Jackie" Rolling Stone story collapse and subsequent lawsuits have anything to do with NBC killing the Weinstein story?
This message should not be used for any purposes in the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Oct 2017, 17:36

Jason wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 17:26
I was reading "How NBC ‘Killed’ Ronan Farrow’s Weinstein Exposé" and the thought occurred to me — could the "Jackie" Rolling Stone story collapse and subsequent lawsuits have anything to do with NBC killing the Weinstein story?
I dunno -- I might be misremembering this (I haven't paid super-close attention to the Weinstein debacle), but wasn't there a fairly recent revelation/story on the theme "Yeah, the NY Times or some similarly august publication was going to publish a Weinstein expose a decade ago, but decided not to?" It appears that covering up for that scumbag was a thing long, looooong before "Jackie" gave publications some legitimately non-sleazy reasons to feel skittish about running such stories.

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Oct 2017, 17:38

Yeah.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Oct 2017, 18:00

As I recall, the Jackie story did not go through a proper editorial process, so it should have been obvious that there could be problems.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Oct 2017, 16:22

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Oct 2017, 03:05

Love that native advertising:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.