When journalism goes bad

Dangerman

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Dangerman » 11 Apr 2018, 10:08

JD, the argument I've seen is that there are mechanisms that keep the water from entering your tissues effectively until it has been brought to the correct temperature, but I can't say that I have any evidence for that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Apr 2018, 10:34

The last time I looked into it, I became convinced that dehydration isn't a thing if you're not thirsty. Water temp and mineral content are of no actual health consequence. Eat a variety of foods and you'll have all the minerals and energy you need.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 11 Apr 2018, 10:35

Dangerman wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 10:08
JD, the argument I've seen is that there are mechanisms that keep the water from entering your tissues effectively until it has been brought to the correct temperature, but I can't say that I have any evidence for that.
In every heat injury prevention class I've ever been to (or taught) it's always emphasized you don't give heat injury victims ice water to drink. You want the water slightly cool. Whether this is based on science or just common practice pulled out of the ether, I dunno.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Apr 2018, 10:39

Dangerman wrote:
Unless you are in a state of hypothermia, I am pretty sure that any quantity of water you could reasonably drink would be raised to 98.6°F within no more than a few minutes.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Apr 2018, 10:40

tr0g wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 10:35
Dangerman wrote:
In every heat injury prevention class I've ever been to (or taught) it's always emphasized you don't give heat injury victims ice water to drink. You want the water slightly cool. Whether this is based on science or just common practice pulled out of the ether, I dunno.
Drinking ice water, especially in large quantities, can cause cramping and generally stress the body.
Giving cool tap water to heat injury victims makes a lot of sense. The victim is likely running a fever as the body kicks into damage control mode and has lost a lot of water in the process.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2018, 11:32

JD wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 14:50
Dangerman wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:17
Cold water requires body heat to warm, obviously, and some people have argued that this takes energy, and thus is not as efficient as water which is already at body temperature.
Sure, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with efficiency of hydrating you.
Yes it does. Generating heat requires water. For example, eating snow to rehydrate you will actually dehydrate you.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2018, 11:37

tr0g wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 10:35
Dangerman wrote:
I believe the reason is that ice water will cause the body to kick up the metabolic rate to heat up the water, among other things, so you're potentially doing more damage to the heat injury victim.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Apr 2018, 11:54

Although it's not very much of a metabolic rise, because people have been trying to use ice water and cold showers as a weight-loss hack for years, without success.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 11 Apr 2018, 11:57

Ellie wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 11:54
Although it's not very much of a metabolic rise, because people have been trying to use ice water and cold showers as a weight-loss hack for years, without success.
I dunno, replacing all your meals with ice water and cold showers seems like it should work.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 11 Apr 2018, 12:28

Mo wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 11:32
JD wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 14:50
Dangerman wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:17
Cold water requires body heat to warm, obviously, and some people have argued that this takes energy, and thus is not as efficient as water which is already at body temperature.
Sure, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with efficiency of hydrating you.
Yes it does. Generating heat requires water. For example, eating snow to rehydrate you will actually dehydrate you.
I'm not able to find any information on whether that is really true or just an urban legend. Assuming that it is true, whether that applies to drinking refrigerator-temperature water as opposed to eating snow is kind of a different question.

I did find one interesting reference to the health qualities of demineralized water: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... chap12.pdf
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Apr 2018, 13:28

tr0g wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 11:57
Ellie wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 11:54
I dunno, replacing all your meals with ice water and cold showers seems like it should work.
Especially for horny teenagers.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Apr 2018, 17:56

Goddamn. Megan McCardle is always wrong about everything. I can make up a vegan pro-life argument that is basically coherent, but to not recognize standard pro-choice arguments are compatible with standard animal rights arguments would seem to require never having heard them at all. They don't really intersect at all.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Apr 2018, 18:04

I can't see why "animal rights" should be limited to either side of the abortion debate -- whatever one believes about a woman's right to choose, one can also support OR oppose various animal rights without contradiction. It's like, if you support a welfare state you pretty much have to support taxes high enough to cover it, but whether you support OR oppose a welfare state has fuck-all to do with whether you think "plaid" is an attractive pattern. Non sequitur. Why the devil would anyone say otherwise?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Apr 2018, 18:07

McArdle is dumb, that's why. She hurts libertarianism and should go back to finance if she doesn't suck at that.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Apr 2018, 18:10

The only person who approaches McArdle's level of dumb on the regular is Damon Linker.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2018, 18:12

Also, it ignores that there are pro-choice conservatives.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Apr 2018, 18:55

That's a perfectly reasonable point, and one people here, including myself, have made. "How someone feels about abortion shouldn't tell you what foreign policy they support" or whatever.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Apr 2018, 15:09

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-a ... lt-it.html

Tldr is trump was elected so booooooo fucking hoooo
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 Apr 2018, 15:48

dhex wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 15:09
http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-a ... lt-it.html

Tldr is trump was elected so booooooo fucking hoooo
I was going to comment on the burning irony of a rag that relies on lurid headlines complaining about internet outrage, but I guess that's the NY Post, not NY Mag.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Apr 2018, 18:00

It's peak what people who don't read the New Yorker think the New Yorker is like but isn't but since this is actually in the New Yorker, I guess those people were right all along:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annal ... ssion=true

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Apr 2018, 19:10

They have a point about the EAT MOR CHIKIN campaign. That shit is creepy af.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Apr 2018, 19:12

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 18:00
It's peak what people who don't read the New Yorker think the New Yorker is like but isn't but since this is actually in the New Yorker, I guess those people were right all along:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annal ... ssion=true
...Dang.

That's the snootiest prose I've seen in some time.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Apr 2018, 19:14

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 19:10
When Chicken Run was out and they had a Burger King tie-in ad campaign (I think because Burger King had no chicken dishes), I always wanted to see those ads opposite EAT MOR CHIKIN ads.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Apr 2018, 20:40

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 19:14
lunchstealer wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 19:10
When Chicken Run was out and they had a Burger King tie-in ad campaign (I think because Burger King had no chicken dishes), I always wanted to see those ads opposite EAT MOR CHIKIN ads.
This why pigs end up running the farm.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2018, 20:41

As far as ad campaigns go, I thought the EAT MOR CHIKIN cows were mildly humorous. I don't see creepy.
My biggest problem with them is that they are Holsteins. That makes them dairy, not beef, cows.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT